Embarassing question on how to do a basic search??

I've been using EN since its inception and I'm embarassed to say that I have no idea how to do one of the most basic searches possible (using v10).  For example, I want to search notes that contain the word "ADP" but only within my Contacts notebook.  With the Legacy version I simply open the Contacts notebook and type in ADP into the search bar.  It immediately returns about 10 notes which are all notes that contain the word "ADP" within my "Contacts" notebook.  However, in v10 when I go to the Contacts notebook and type "ADP" into the search bar I get a bewildering dropdown of saved searches, Go To's and other things.  Does anyone know how to simply search for one search term within a notebook using v10?  What am I missing here?  This should be simple.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, idoc said:

For example, I want to search notes that contain the word "ADP" but only within my Contacts notebook.  With the Legacy version I simply open the Contacts notebook and type in ADP into the search bar.

My solution is to type in ADP notebook:Contacts

Search grammar is documented at https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313828

2 hours ago, idoc said:

For example, I want to search notes that contain the word "ADP" but only within my Contacts notebook.

You don't need to use the search syntax although you can if you want to.

If you want to search within a specific notebook you are right that you should start in that notebook.

When you click in the search box underneath the text input box is the name of the notebook (in very faint gray) and the words add filter.

image.png.1076bd718327d52da322e7e209887616.png

If you press add filter you can then type in your search term and hit enter. So here I've searched for the word "ggplot" in the notebook called AllMyNotes.

image.png.f21d53c165b5b4a54f4dcf395a60a28f.png

The alternative is to do your text search and then use the filter menu to filter for notes only in the notebook you want.image.png.0babb7b42b27674bef15aacc3f062622.png

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your kind response.  That solved the problem.  I would not have been able to discover this by myself, even after years of using Evernote.  Also, their help material is not as helpful as what you demonstrated.

• Thanks 1