Inconsistent date-picker operation

While EN v10 is improving all the time, and I rarely have to switch over to my co-resident Legacy version, there are a few features that would benefit from being made more consistent to allow better workflow.

One irritation I have with v10.7.6 is the inconsistent implementation of date-pickers.

I use the facility to alter the Note Created date regularly in my workflow, using Ctrl+Shift+N to open the Note Info window and then tabbing twice to the “Created” field and then clicking to open the date-picker. The current month is displayed in a 5 x 7 grid. However, as I found in January 2021, the 5x7 arrangement doesn’t always display a whole month due to the 1st being a Friday (1st row) meaning that the 5th row ends on 30th, so you have to move to the February to select 31st (Sunday).

This display is inconsistent with the date-picker for the Reminder facility. When you click the Edit option on the Reminder icon you get a month display in a 6 x7 grid which will show all the says in a month like January. This sort of inconsistency creates a feeling of “are the developers talking to one another?”

Comparing these two date-picker options, thee also seems to be inconsistency around using Escape to cancel out of the operation; and having selected a specific date in the Reminder window you can just click Enter to complete the action, but if changing the Created date when you’ve selected a date, you have to the “Save” button and click that to compete the process. [Note also that the completion button on the Created date edit window is labelled “Save” while the completion button on the Reminder edit window is labelled “Done” – that could be confusing as another Reminder option is to mark/unmark the Reminder as done…]

I also feel it would be useful to navigate around the date-picker grids using the left/right arrow keys, and ideally to improve the workflow, it would be good to have a shortcut to open the Reminder edit window rather than having to mouse down and select the bell icon at the bottom of the screen.

I like EN v10 – it works – but there are a number of rough edges that need cleaning up to make it smoother to use, being able to complete actions using keyboard shortcuts rather than having to switch between keyboard and mouse in the middle of an action.

Looking forward to future improvements.

• Like 1

I raised this as a Support Ticket with Evernote but got the response

"I have checked on my end, and it appears that this is an expected behavior with the new app."

I find this disappointing as I was under the impression that part of the drive behind the v10 development was a desire to introduce more consistency in how Evernote functioned - both across platforms and internally. Sadly this doesn't seem to be the case yet.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
8 hours ago, AdmiralP said:

I find this disappointing as I was under the impression that part of the drive behind the v10 development was a desire to introduce more consistency in how Evernote functioned - both across platforms and internally. Sadly this doesn't seem to be the case yet.

Agreed.