Why I don't want the latest Android version (and turned off auto-updates in Google Play Store)

I'm forcing myself to manually update all my apps until this gets resolved. I'm somewhat terrified to receive the latest Evernote update (I'm on v 8.13) because of this horror show.

It's pretty much 1 star reviews all the way down the list here in the Play Store since the "upgrade" to version 10 of the Android Evernote app.  It's like the app is trying to commit user-review suicide.

Evernote Reviews on Google Play Store as of 2021-02-02.jpg

• Like 4
  • hanseric changed the title to Why I don't want the latest Android version (and turned off auto-updates in Google Play Store)

Since roll out has been stalled for weeks they maybe still have major issues even with 10.4 and/or are trying to add back proven EN8-functionality that is missed by all the 1-star rating users. I think that's why many of us still don't have seen the update even on Android 10 oder 11 devices.

• Like 1

Where to start?

The app has become painfully slow with the latest update. Takes 5 seconds to open on the most powerful hardware. Even longer on older phones. Loads of bugs and missing features like opening a website link or retaining the position in a note when briefly switching apps to copy text.

Read the comments under those 1-star Play Store reviews. 

It is nothing short of astonishing that a project manager went forward with the release of V10.

Evernote must be losing Premium members by large numbers. 

Pity, really. 

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

It sucks that I have to change my auto update apps setting to manually update apps just because I'm scared every time Evernote updates it's a ***** shoot if the update will be harmless or become a major problem, the safest approach unfortunately has become to keep your evernote updates a few months behind.

• Evernote Expert
25 minutes ago, mikefinleyco said:

It sucks that I have to change my auto update apps setting to manually update apps just because I'm scared every time Evernote updates it's a ***** shoot if the update will be harmless or become a major problem, the safest approach unfortunately has become to keep your evernote updates a few months behind.

I've not experienced any issues with the v10 for Android other than one missing widget option. But nothing that has given me cause to regret the Android update.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've been using Evernote since 2011 and a premium user since 2013, and the one thing I could always count on was the integrity of the data. Even if there was a conflict, I could find one or both versions in the conflicted changes notebook.

No more.

I've continuously lost notes added in Android. Literally, the notes don't save if added through the widgets. Adding them in the main app does save and sync them - sometimes.

This is beyond critique. A note taking app, where the data isn't securely saved when the app says it is.

I'm in the process of ending my premium account and migrating to Joplin. Which had the added bonus of being free.

• Like 1