NO MORE POSSIBLE TO SELECT ALL MY NOTES TOGETHER IN EVERNOTE WINDOWS

In order to copy all my notes on an external support, It was possible to select ALL my notes in EVERNOTE WINDOWS

Once all my Evernote notes were selected, I was able to save all that notes in an external disk as a sauvegarde of my all EVERNOTE

Now it is no  more possible to select ALL my notes together in EVERNOTE WINDOWS...

What is the solution ? Thank you

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, JDUCLERCQ said:

What is the solution ?

This is one of the reasons I'm still using the Evernote Legacy product.    
I'm able to select all notes for a full export

The Version 10 product does support selecting all notes in a notebook for export   
This requires a separate export for each notebook, with the advantage that notebook assignment is preserved

I couldn't believe it when I read the pop up information about the limitation to 50 notes in v10. I'd understand if this would be a "feature" for the basic account, but for heavy Premium users? So thanks DTLow for reminding us on the Legacy version. Reinstalled, killed v10. All fine again. (Shame on you, Evernote)

• Like 1
6 hours ago, michael-gerloff said:

I couldn't believe it when I read the pop up information about the limitation to 50 notes in v10. I'd understand if this would be a "feature" for the basic account, but for heavy Premium users? So thanks DTLow for reminding us on the Legacy version. Reinstalled, killed v10. All fine again. (Shame on you, Evernote)

Just found this out today (2.4.21). This is considered an improvement? I'm beginning to believe some of the stories I've been reading on how Evernote is really going down the tubes and becoming less useful. Not being able to export ALL my notes at one time is motivation for me to look for another program and since it's the start of new year, a good time to switch. 

auf Wiedersehen.

• Level 5

It was never a good idea to export ALL notes in one go. You probably never tried it, so you don't know - my first question is then why you make it soooo important now, if you never used that feature before.

If you would have tried, you might have noticed that on export the information about the notebook in which a note is residing is lost. This has nothing to do with v10, it is a restriction of the export format. To avoid loosing this information (and not to end up with a heap of notes without notebook structure) you always needed to export notebook by notebook, one after the other. 

And now surprise, surprise: This does still work, you can export a complete notebook in v10, having less or more than 50 notes.

The 50 notes limit applies only for selecting individual notes. And it can be changed, if you know a little about editing system files. I have set my limit to 1.000 notes. But I won't tell you, lest there would probably follow the next half-wise posting about performance issues.

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

The 50 notes limit applies only for selecting individual notes. And it can be changed, if you know a little about editing system files. I have set my limit to 1.000 notes. But I won't tell you, lest there would probably follow the next half-wise posting about performance issues.

Really? That is your answer? You would tell this a user who has one notebook with 57 notes? Or even more: 2 Notebooks with 63 notes? Oh boy.

BTW: I don‘t want to export all my notes (I exported only some notebooks). But: I have a notebook with about 400 notes that I took from 2019 to 2021. I am not able to find out how many notes I took in 2020 or can move these to another notebook (e.g. “archive2020”) in one step because there are 143 (this I found out using EN 7). So I have to select notes three times and transfer them? These Evernote limitations are just ridiculous. And EN 7 shows that it could be done without any problem.

And: No, I am not an EN doomer, it is my tool of choice since February 2009. And hopefully will be for the next years.

Edited by michael-gerloff
Added some details
  • Level 5

Yes, this is my answer.

It is very simple: You go to notebook view, click on the 3 dots behind the notebook you want to export, select "Export notebook", and all the notes in your notebook are exported. All 57, if you have 57. All 400, if you have 400, all ...

Give the export file a name that makes you remember the notebook, because the information which note was in which notebook is lost on export. Nothing new, this was lost on export on the old clients as well. So with 63 in 2 notebooks, you better export 2 files separately, because else you would get one file with 63 notes, and no notebook information.

Per notebook to export you need to select the notebook ONCE - even if there are more than 50 notes inside of it.

The magic-50-limit only applies when you select notes individually. So if you want to select 143 notes individually, the system will tell you you can't, it is a max of 50. And as I said this can be altered if you know how, and own your own risk. So if I want to pick 143, the systems says "Yes, gimme more ....", because I have set "my" limit to 1.000. 

EN support did say the 50 was picked to make it run stable even on older, weaker computers, and they did not imagine people would pick more than that. Luckily it is not hard coded, so this can be altered.

Yep, exporting complete notebooks is no problem. But exporting 57 of x notes is.And for me exporting is not the real problem - working in Evernote with more than 50 notes at a time is. 

So, for me the limit of 50 individual notes is the reason to stay with EN 7 as often as I want to do real work with EN as I am not interested in poking code. For all the “just so” work EN 10 will do. Wonder what they did to the new system that selecting more than 50 individual notes could endanger the stability.

• Level 5

If you read the threads about this question, it seems they a) were concerned about performance issues and b) believed that "50" would be a good pick. For example TOC is still not available with v10, and presentation mode got axed. So some reasons to select a lot of notes are still or permanently missing.

Personally I am doing my main work on legacy as well, and use v10 to see how it is evolving. From my modification I can say that it runs stable as well when the limit of "50" is moved upwards a lot. But I run it on a pretty high end Mac, so this must not apply for a computer with less CPU power and RAM. Maybe they will lift it themselves one day, who knows. There is more missing than that to make v10 a fully usable version for me.

• Like 2
  • 7 months later...
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, Karl BULEON said:

backup all my notes in one .enex file.

Backup to "one .enex file" is not recommended   
Separate exports for each notebook is recommended to retain notebook assignment   
Also, large .enex files can fail to import; smaller files are recommended

Personally, I use the Legacy product for my backups

• Level 5

@Karl BULEON Sorry to say that, but reading „7 month later …“ my blood pressure rises, when I see zero content in the following posting.

What I wrote in February was true then, but must not be true today.

There are forum contributions I can easily do without. Especially when they produce „mimimi“ for not being able to do something, but something one should avoid. „All notes in one ENEX file“ can only be promoted by somebody who exported this as a backup, but NEVER tried a restore.

A backup is only complete when a test restore was made successfully. Try this with your one and single superduper ENEX file. And then come back and tell us what a great idea it was.

• 1 month later...

Not being able to export ALL of my notes at one time and preserve the NOTEBOOK they were in sounds like a major deficiency. And to top it all off, to restore ALL my notes does not work because EN can't handle it. WTH. Very sad. What I read above sounds like I have some work to do to find another product that works correctly, i.e. backup ALL, restore ALL, exactly like it was. At least I found out now so I have about 2 months to start the new year with a program that works.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

It never was possible to export all notes AND preserve the note-notebook relation. You could export all notes, loosing the notebook, ending up with all notes on one big heap. Or export by the notebook, one after the other, creating one ENEX file per notebook. To do the first get legacy, to do the second you can use both legacy and v10.

To run a plain backup both is AFAIK completely unnecessary: Just use any backup program and run a backup of the whole EN data folder. In case you might need it (which IMHO is very unlikely, but why not), you can restore the folder. Quick, automatic, simple EN backup.

That’s it, if you want to leave, leave, but do it for the right reason, not based on fake information.

On 11/4/2021 at 10:32 PM, PinkElephant said:

It never was possible to export all notes AND preserve the note-notebook relation.

Sorry, this is not correct. In EN Win legacy you can sign off and on your sign on screen you can press CTRL+SHIFT+E. You get a prompt to choose the account to be exported, ok and voilà: you get a folder on your desktop with the actual date and an individual ENEX-file per notebook in your account totally automatically. It is my #1 use case for still keeping legacy on my machine. So nice and fast 🙂 

Ohhhh....I did some testing with exporting and reimporting via EN legacy...and fellows beware: when exporting via EN legacy none of your tasks are saved to the ENEX it is all lost. If you use task in a way they should be exported/backed up EN legacy is no no good for this anymore...so sad Evernote did not add some adequate as the CTRL+SHIFT+E all-in export in EN 10... 😞

By the way: if you export via EN10 to ENEX the tasks are preserved with due date, but due time is lost as well. Tasks implementation still seems rudimentary. On the losing of due time when exporting I contacted support. They could reproduce and escalated the issue to tech support (at least he said so).

• Level 5

Beside nostalgic stuff - to make a backup of v10, just use any backup software and make sure it grabs the EN data folder together with everything else (which it usually does by default, but why not checking if it really does).

Restore works from this folder, and uses a working EN client to revive it.

So nothing for anybody who believes EN will be gone without any prior notice, and all will be lost anyhow. But sorry: If you believe this, you are simply using the wrong product. Get a NAS, host your own NextCloud, stop asking a cloud service to behave like a piece of software written for local use.