Opening links clicked in note window in main window is a horrible user experience.

Magnus Lidbom

Idea

My notebooks are all heavily interlinked. Every note contains many links to other notes. This is essential to how I organize my information. If link support does not work well I am forced to migrate to another app. Two fixes are desperately needed to make links usable in version 10.

• When clicking an internal link in a note opened in its own window, open the link target in that window, not in the main window. Opening it in the main window is insanity.
    • It has nothing to do with the current context in which I'm working.
    • It destroys the context I chose and want in the main window.
    • It leaves the current window open but hidden in the background having to be manually found and closed later.
    • It makes navigating back to the note I was in impossible
    • Essentially it turns Evernote from a functional multi window app into a broken, unintuitive, inconvenient mess for heavy users of internal links like me.
  • Clicking a link should navigate to the link target, not show some editing information. Requiring two clicks and mouse movements to navigate a link is absurdly inconvenient for such an extremely common user task. You read and navigate far far more often than you edit. It's obvious that you should optimize convenience for the common case, not the edge case of wanting to edit a link. At the very least provide an option to navigate rather than edit as the default action when clicking a link. 

I cannot believe that neither of these UI design disasters have been fixed 3 months later in spite of complaints. Please Evernote. Please don't force me to go through a painful migration to another service through UI design decisions so bad that the app becomes so inconvenient and quirky as to be virtually unusable.

• Like 1

6 replies to this idea

12 hours ago, Magnus Lidbom said:

Two fixes are desperately needed to make links usable in version 10.

As outlined in my response to your other post ctrl-clicking internal links opens the link in it's own window and does so without any intermediate menus. I prefer the old system too but I am getting used to ctrl-clicking.

3 hours ago, Mike P said:

As outlined in my response to your other post ctrl-clicking internal links opens the link in it's own window and does so without any intermediate menus. I prefer the old system too but I am getting used to ctrl-clicking.

I responded to this at that other comment. In short my argument is that opening a new window for every single link click is likewise a usability disaster. Just a different one. Try following a 10 link navigation path and then following it back through the ctrl+click method and you should see very clearly why. 

12 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  We're mainly a user-supported forum and clearly this is an important issue for you - I'd suggest reporting the matter to Support to get some direct feedback...

Thank you for that tip. I will do so. But why in the blazes have a forum with a sub-forum called feedback/feature requests if they don't monitor it? It is grossly misleading. It plainly advertises that this is the place to give this type of feedback. It is very very strange to me.

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, Magnus Lidbom said:

Thank you for that tip. I will do so. But why in the blazes have a forum with a sub-forum called feedback/feature requests if they don't monitor it? It is grossly misleading. It plainly advertises that this is the place to give this type of feedback. It is very very strange to me.

Evernote staffers do read the content - usually starting with the release threads which pull in most comments when things go wrong.  They'll get around to this thread eventually,  but they tend not to comment on individual issues.  If you need a more timely response related to your individual use case,  then Support is the way to go.  "Feature requests" don't usually have much urgency...