How Do I Disable Quick Notes on Windows?

I have a ton of Notes that contain everything from tech manuals to recipes to employee data and I use Evernote to quickly find that information.  I NEVER use Evernote's Quick Notes features and yet, now, every time I need to pull up Evernote, I have that annoying Quick Note screen popup from my Notification Bar and I have to click the expand button.

Given that I do this process, on average, 20 times a day, it is beyond aggravating and yet there does not appear to be anyway to get rid of it.

Past versions DID provide this option but the current version does not seem to free me from this annoying feature.

Does anybody know how to eliminate Quick Notes from the Notification Bar in Windows 10 in the latest version?

Thank you!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

I tend to use Evernote web for look-ups - if you use Chrome there's a way to create a desktop shortcut to open a web app in its own Chrome Window (regardless of whatever other browser you might have active).  The shortcut will also retain your login details - good if you open the app several times in one day,  bad if anyone else has access to your device!

Desktop Shortcut to run a web app

• You need an active Chrome tab where you're logged into Evernote (or any other app). 
  • Go to the Three dots menu and choose 'more tools',  then 'create shortcut' and tick Open As A Window. 
  • You should get a shortcut on your desktop which will open Evernote (or..) in a minimal window. 
  • Any relevant extensions will still be available.
13 hours ago, LTEMIN said:

I have a ton of Notes that contain everything from tech manuals to recipes to employee data and I use Evernote to quickly find that information.  I NEVER use Evernote's Quick Notes features and yet, now, every time I need to pull up Evernote, I have that annoying Quick Note screen popup from my Notification Bar and I have to click the expand button.

Given that I do this process, on average, 20 times a day, it is beyond aggravating and yet there does not appear to be anyway to get rid of it.

Past versions DID provide this option but the current version does not seem to free me from this annoying feature.

Does anybody know how to eliminate Quick Notes from the Notification Bar in Windows 10 in the latest version?

Thank you!

I have the exact same question!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • Level 5*
6 hours ago, Zebryk said:

How to eliminate this totally unnessesary step?

Who vetts these "improvements" before making them standard?

AFAIK there's no current way to suppress the pop-up,  though if you use Evernote for look-ups as with the original poster,  you may find it faster to have a shortcut on the desktop pointing to one specific note.  That should open directly allowing you to refer to it,  or to search for another,  as required.

As to whose bright idea this process was,  I'd have no idea. 

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, Mihaly said:

Adding my vote to remove QuickNotes. I never use it, it just breaks my flow of thought.

Just because you dont use it is no justification for removal, some of us do use it although, I have never seen it pop up without my initiating it.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
11 hours ago, Mihaly said:

Adding my vote to remove QuickNotes. I never use it, it just breaks my flow of thought.

Do you also get to Evernote from the hidden icons thing on the taskbar, like the original poster here? It might be simpler to pin Evernote to the taskbar and just access it from there. That eliminates the Quick Note.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Do you also get to Evernote from the hidden icons thing on the taskbar, like the original poster here? It might be simpler to pin Evernote to the taskbar and just access it from there. That eliminates the Quick Note.

I fire up Evernote by clicking on the little white elephant in the system tray. At least I used to, now I have to click on that and then find and click on the white button on a white background in the QuickNote window that I never use.

Yes I can pin the Evernote icon on the taskbar. That'll take up taskbar real estate though (which is at a premium on a laptop screen), I have a few things pinned there already. I'll probably end up going down this path and hide the systray elephant to get some taskbar space back.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, bmcl26 said:

Just because you dont use it is no justification for removal, some of us do use it although, I have never seen it pop up without my initiating it.

Sorry, I don't mean remove it, just provide us with the option of not having it appear when we want to bring up the full app using the systray icon. I realise people use QuickNotes and I don't mean to cause them problems.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

There are 402 Functions in Excel. I made a count, just use 37 of them.

Add my vote the other 365 must be disabled, they distract me.

I agree disabling is the wrong term, I'd just like to be given the option of disabling it.

As an analogy, imagine you've been using the autosum button (or something) in Excel for years, then Microsoft decides you need to need to fire up the pivot table dialog to get to the autosum.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Mihaly said:

Sorry, I don't mean remove it, just provide us with the option of not having it appear when we want to bring up the full app using the systray icon. I realise people use QuickNotes and I don't mean to cause them problems.

I don't understand how it is popping up without you initiating it.  It certainly does not do that with me, it only appears if I press Control+Alt + H.  I have never seen it appear any other time.

8 hours ago, Mihaly said:

I fire up Evernote by clicking on the little white elephant in the system tray.

You can right click the system tray icon and open EN without quick note appearing or as suggested an icon on the task bar.

• Like 2

I'm slightly surprised that there is no global shortcut for simply opening EN. However if you want to find something you can use win+shift+F (on Windows) or if you want to start creating a note alt+ctrl+N. 

Personally I never "close" EN, I just minimise it to the task bar. EN is unusual in that hitting the cross keeps it open, running in the background. If you were to do that with most other Windows programs you would end up closing the app properly (and possibly loosing data) so I reckon it is a bad habit worth avoiding.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

If you prefer to start Evernote in 'normal' mode,  won't the usual Windows method of creating a shortcut to the executable work? If Evernote is already running,  you can Alt+tab to the existing window and Ctrl+N for a new note...

On 2/1/2021 at 10:46 AM, LTEMIN said:

The exact answer to this question is that there isn't currently a way to eliminate Quick Notes when you left-click on the Evernote icon in the system tray.

But what is the end goal, what are we trying to accomplish? I see it as "How can I open Evernote quickly without having to see the Quick Note".

And there is a lot of good advice and comments in this thread about different ways to open Evernote on Windows quickly without having to view the Quick Note.

To sum up many different ways to do it listed in this thread:

1. Right-click on the Evernote system tray icon and select 'Open Evernote'. (Jon/t)
  2. Pin the Evernote application to the task bar and click on that instead of the system tray icon. (Dave-in-Decatur)
  3. Press the Global Windows-Shift-F shortcut to open Evernote (and position the cursor in the search box) (Mike P)
  4. Windows key, 'E', 'Enter'. (This is what I do. I launch most of my apps from the global windows search.)
  5. If you have EN pinned as an icon on the task bar you can do WIN KEY + NUMBER 1 - 0. Just count the number of icons from the left and see what EN is. Only works up to the 0 key. Not really a global shortcut but close. (Jon/t -- see below)

Seeing how OP stated "I have a ton of Notes that contain everything from tech manuals to recipes to employee data and I use Evernote to quickly find that information."... what they need is #3 above which is even faster than clicking on the system tray icon to open Evernote (if you could) and then pressing a keyboard shortcut (or clicking elsewhere) to set cursor focus to search.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, Boot17 said:

The exact answer to this question is that there isn't currently a way to eliminate Quick Notes when you left-click on the Evernote icon in the system tray.

But what is the end goal, what are we trying to accomplish? I see it as "How can I open Evernote quickly without having to see the Quick Note".

And there is a lot of good advice and comments in this thread about different ways to open Evernote on Windows quickly without having to view the Quick Note.

To sum up:

1. Right-click on the Evernote system tray icon and select 'Open Evernote'.
  2. Pin the Evernote application to the task bar and click on that instead of the system tray icon.
  3. Press the Global Windows-Shift-F shortcut to open Evernote (and position the cursor in the search box)
  4. Windows key, 'E', 'Enter'. (This is what I do. I launch most of my apps from the global windows search.)

Seeing how OP stated "I have a ton of Notes that contain everything from tech manuals to recipes to employee data and I use Evernote to quickly find that information."... what they need is #3 above which is even faster than clicking on the system tray icon to open Evernote (if you could) and then pressing a keyboard shortcut (or clicking elsewhere) to set cursor focus to search.

Yes, you're right, I missed the suggestion that I right-click the systray icon and open from that menu and I hadn't thought of trying that. I'm happy with that. Thanks Jon/T and Boot17.

• Like 3
18 hours ago, Mike P said:

I'm slightly surprised that there is no global shortcut for simply opening EN.

If you have EN pinned as an icon on the task bar you can do WIN KEY + NUMBER 1 - 0. Just count the number of icons from the left and see what EN is. Only works up to the 0 key. Not really a global shortcut but close.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Jon/t said:

If you have EN pinned as an icon on the task bar you can do WIN KEY + NUMBER 1 - 0. Just count the number of icons from the left and see what EN is. Only works up to the 0 key. Not really a global shortcut but close.

Yep that works, thanks. It works if EN is minimised, "closed" to the notification area elephant icon or not running at all. For the last two you do need to have EN pinned to the task bar, and that also guarantees the same number each time.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I cannot accept the 2023 price increase with this "functionatillity" still here.

I hate Quick notes dumb pop up and all workarounds to avoid it, some of them are "ok" but I want to open evernote fast to search notes (with non-distracting tray icon) as used to be in the past.

So If Evernote team decided to increase the price I'll become more exigent, and I no longer tolerate this stupid step.

So it's time to search alternatives

8 hours ago, jrubinart said:

I want to open evernote fast to search notes

If you are on the Windows client it doesn't come much faster than Win+Shift+F which is a "global shortcut" so works wherever you are. There will be a Mac equivalent.

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...

The problem with using a taskbar pin instead of the system tray icon is that it's considerably slower to open that way.  Opening from the system tray opens as fast as when the program is just minimized - unless, of course, you have to faff about with right clicking and choosing from a menu.

Just minimizing the program is a work-around, but that kind of sucks too, as then you have it taking up space in your taskbar unnecessarily when you're not using it.  The old behaviour of opening quickly from the system tray was perfect.

• Evernote Expert

Yes, it is slower but I cannot measure the difference. My finger reactions with a stopwatch aren't quick enough.

So, for me, the difference really isn't significant.

• Like 2

Most of the people I know who are really worried about speed are keyboard shortcut Ninjas. I still maintain that you can't get much fater than Win+shift+F to search (or just open the app) or alt+ctrl+N to create a new note.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

For anyone else annoyed by this, I just worked out how to make a little AutoHotKey (1.1) script that detects when the Evernote Quick Note window opens, and automatically clicks the button to open the main Evernote window.  Note that because Evernote is all Electron web nonsense now, the buttons don't have unique labels, so I had to click by position.  The quick note window is always the same size, so this works fine, but it's possible if your resolution is different you'd need to alter the x/y positions.

#Persistent
SetBatchLines, -1
DllCall("RegisterShellHookWindow", UInt,A_ScriptHwnd)
MsgNum := DllCall("RegisterWindowMessage", Str,"SHELLHOOK")
OnMessage(MsgNum, "ShellMessage")
Return

ShellMessage(wParam,lParam) {
    If (wParam = 1) { ; 1 means HSHELL_WINDOWCREATED
        WinGetTitle, title, ahk_id %lParam%
        If (title = "Evernote Quick Note") {
            ; Wait for the window to be active before clicking
            WinWaitActive, ahk_id %lParam%
            ; Send a left click to x=200, y=100
            ControlClick, x700 y90, ahk_id %lParam%
        }
    }