Photos of book pages

lizhk
Go to solution Solved by gazumped,

I have on my Android some photos I took (not with Evernote) of pages of a book.  How do I

1) upload them to Evernote and have them searchable?

2) In the future, does it make more sense to download the Evernote App onto my phone, and take photos of text from within the Evernote app?

I can't seem to find what I think should be a simple answer.  Thanks for your help.

Liz

• Level 5*
  • Solution
On 1/31/2021 at 10:07 PM, lizhk said:

How do I upload them to Evernote and have them searchable?

1. Install the Evernote app on your phone.  You'll be able to share images and web pages to the app and use its camera feature to take more pictures.
  2. Use 'share' in your Gallery app to add these pages to Evernote notes.  They will MAY* go to separate notes,  so you'll need to merge the notes (on a desktop) later.  Evernote will OCR the images for you and make them searchable.
  3. Alternatively if your apps are backed up by Google Photos you could go to their web page and download the images to your desktop.  You could then add the images to a single note by signing into your account at Evernote.com
On 1/31/2021 at 10:07 PM, lizhk said:

does it make more sense to download the Evernote App onto my phone, and take photos of text from within the Evernote app

Yes.

*See @PinkElephant comment below...

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Not sure about Android.

In the EN iOS 10.4 release, if you select more than one picture at the camera roll, it will create one single note containing all these pics. The same is true when using the EN scanner: When scanning several pages in one go, they will all transfer into one single note.

Searchability comes with syncing the notes to the server. OCR will run automatically, the result will show after a few minutes at best, a few hours worst case. This depends mainly on the server load, so it just happens when it works down the queue.

2 hours ago, gazumped said:
  1. Install the Evernote app on your phone.  You'll be able to share images and web pages to the app and use it's camera feature to take more pictures.
  2. Use 'share' in your Gallery app to add these pages to Evernote notes.  They will go to separate notes,  so you'll need to merge the notes (on a desktop) later.  Evernote will OCR the images for you and make them searchable.
  3. Alternatively if your apps are backed up by Google Photos you could go to their web page and download the images to your desktop.  You could then add the images to a single note by signing into your account at Evernote.com

Yes.

1. I am worried about installing the latest Android version 10.7 ? As the reviews are devastating.  Is there a way to install an older version?

2. How do you merge the notes on the desktop? Do you mean in the Windows Evernote program, or do you mean some other desktop app to merge?

Thanks again.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, lizhk said:

1. I am worried about installing the latest Android version 10.7 ? As the reviews are devastating.  Is there a way to install an older version?

2. How do you merge the notes on the desktop? Do you mean in the Windows Evernote program, or do you mean some other desktop app to merge?

Thanks again.

1. Unless your Android has the Android 10 OS (the most recent) your 'phone won't even load the newest Evernote.  If you do have Android 10 the update is being rolled out slowly and many users with the correct OS are complaining they still haven't been able to access it.  In any event there have been several updates and the performance by now is pretty good.  If you are still unhappy there's a way to step back to Evernote 8.13 (the last public release) but it's a bit technical...

2. Merging notes on the desktop means having the Evernote app - either version 10 or the 'Legacy' (old) version - installed and selecting all the notes to merge.  That can give you incorrect results if there are lots of pages - they may not be in the correct order.  If you do have lots of pages the best way to merge is to change the title of each note to include a page number at the start - "001 <title>",  "002 <title>" and so on,  then sort the notes by the title and merge them when sorted into order.
  • 10 months later...
  1. Unless your Android has the Android 10 OS (the most recent) your 'phone won't even load the newest Evernote.  If you do have Android 10 the update is being rolled out slowly and many users with the correct OS are complaining they still haven't been able to access it.  In any event there have been several updates and the performance by now is pretty good.  If you are still unhappy there's a way to step back to Evernote 8.13 (the last public release) but it's a bit technical...

2. Merging notes on the desktop means having the Evernote app - either version 10 or the 'Legacy' (old) version - installed and selecting all the notes to merge.  That can give you incorrect results if there are lots of pages - they may not be in the correct order.  If you do have lots of pages the best way to merge is to change the title of each note to include a page number at the start - "001 <title>",  "002 <title>" and so on,  then sort the notes by the title and merge them when sorted into order.

I also strongly advise you to read the book that has made a very big impression on me lately - Farewell to Manzanar. On the site https://eduzaurus.com/free-essay-samples/farewell-to-manzanar/ I learned about this story. Farewell to Manzar is a first-person account of what it was like to live in the Japanese internment camp at Mansanar during World War II, written from the perspective of a young girl named Jeanne Wakatsuki.

Guys, you gave very useful advice, thank you very much.

• Like 1