Jump to content

Am I the only one getting fed up with Evernote?


Recommended Posts

I feel like with every update, Evernote gets:

-Slower on loading notes, searching, etc.

-overly complex with features

-Makes once simple things now take more steps and less intuitive steps

-Offers tons of stuff I don't want

-Buggy in terms of syncing

I'm thinking of ditching it for something else, would love to hear about alternatives or others' experiences. 

Tate

  • Like 5
Link to post
  • Level 5*
On 1/30/2021 at 10:10 PM, Tatejw said:

Am I the only one getting fed up with Evernote?

Absolutely not

On 1/30/2021 at 10:10 PM, Tatejw said:

I'm thinking of ditching it for something else, would love to hear about alternatives or others' experiences.

A lot of others have posted here with various analyses and suggestions - try a general web search for Evernote Alternatives,  or use the Forum search at the top of the page.

  • Like 1
Link to post
  • Level 5*
On 1/30/2021 at 2:10 PM, Tatejw said:

Am I the only one getting fed up with Evernote?

I'm sill using the Evernote Legacy product on my Mac   
It continues to work well for me; I have no plans at present to switch products

  • Like 3
Link to post

I think this is a normal part of life. There are lots of good products out there. I'm sure Notion (for example) is quite capable. 

Evernote seems to be experiencing a bit of a renaissance at the moment. The initial problems of the v10 release are being fixed and new stuff is being added. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, squatch said:

Can you please elaborate about what you mean here?

 

4 hours ago, ehrt74 said:

The initial problems of the v10 release are being fixed and new stuff is being added. 

Evernote brought out some new stuff that had a lot of issues,  which they're currently fixing...

Link to post
8 hours ago, squatch said:

Can you please elaborate about what you mean here?

I've noticed that comments on YouTube videos for example have been a lot more positive in the last month or so. For the last 5 years, comments about Evernote have been overwhelmingly negative. This got even worse after the first release of v10. Now i'm mostly reading positive comments.

Link to post

Yesterday I was fed up with Evernote and made up my mind to use OneNote instead.

Today I found a way to downgrade it and I am still here to complain.

Why did they delete one of the most fundamental features, "Scale note body size" setting? I really don't understand.. the default font size of 16 is too small to read. (I have no problem about my eyesight, I am just used to reading bigger texts)

I don't want to change the font size of each note whenever I start to write.

I am new here Evernote discussions. Do developers listen to what we're talking about here?

Horrible horrible update

Screenshot_20210202-172734_Evernote.jpg

Link to post

@Joungsoung - sadly they do not seem to look at the forums much. I found the best way to get a response from them is to email support with reproducible details on a specific complaint.

I had about 25 complaints after foolishly downloading v10, thinking it was an update and not a basically from scratch new product. I was at least able to get support to see a couple solid examples of how search was actually malfunctioning. I know they emailed about a "faster" search with enhanced options around 1/1/2021, but I haven't been brave enough to reinstall v10, to see what fresh hell they've come up with. I'm sticking to Legacy for the time being.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
6 hours ago, 10gallonhat said:

@Joungsoung - sadly they do not seem to look at the forums much. I found the best way to get a response from them is to email support with reproducible details on a specific complaint.

I had about 25 complaints after foolishly downloading v10, thinking it was an update and not a basically from scratch new product. I was at least able to get support to see a couple solid examples of how search was actually malfunctioning. I know they emailed about a "faster" search with enhanced options around 1/1/2021, but I haven't been brave enough to reinstall v10, to see what fresh hell they've come up with. I'm sticking to Legacy for the time being.

Thanks for your answer. I see we have to stick to Legacy for a while. Haha I really was supposed to subscribe their plan but it seems I should wait 😂

Link to post
  • Level 5*
34 minutes ago, Joungsoung said:

I really was supposed to subscribe their plan but it seems I should wait 😂

If the Legacy product is working for you, I see no problem subscribing on a monthly basis   
(I wouldn't commit  to an annual subscription)
Also, keep an eye on your post-Legacy options, but don't get hung up on the ongoing Version 10 fiasco

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post

@DTLow has the right plan. I very happily didn't even think about v10 for over a month. The only reason I'm considering even looking at the latest version is to see how they may have "fixed" search. I may give it another month or two before I actually try it. Legacy continues to check all my requirements boxes.

Link to post

So, now "Search" doesn't work at all? Using iOS version of Evernote 10.4, iOS 14.4 It just spins and spins and no results are given.

Evernote has become more and more worthless. So very frustrating.

  • Like 1
Link to post
21 hours ago, Meya said:

So, now "Search" doesn't work at all? Using iOS version of Evernote 10.4, iOS 14.4 It just spins and spins and no results are given.

Evernote has become more and more worthless. So very frustrating.

no issues at all* with searching on any V10 client.It is super fast and reliable.

*) with the exception of shared notebooks from others to me on iOS - have to check this again someday

  • Like 1
Link to post
On 2/1/2021 at 5:19 PM, gazumped said:

 

Evernote brought out some new stuff that had a lot of issues,  which they're currently fixing...

And they took away some major functionality which broke long standing (10 year + for me) workflows. Basic product advice: If you bring out something new, don't break what works, or have an alternate method to achieve the functionality. EN most certainly did not do this with v10.

  • Like 1
Link to post
  • Level 5*
27 minutes ago, JerryTop said:

Agreed completely. The last update is soooo bad, its like their techies hate people. I am just about done with Evernote, too bad

If you dislike the update so much,  the legacy version is still available for every OS except iOS. 

A good many folks are now posting positive reviews,  so things should be getting better after several updates to version 10 already.

Like many,  I've not experienced any change to my workflow - I'm still operating on Legacy versions.

Link to post
On 1/30/2021 at 5:10 PM, Tatejw said:

I'm thinking of ditching it for something else, would love to hear about alternatives or others' experiences. 

 

Update if anyone is interested in alternatives - I'm trying out Bear. I like it so far because it's far cleaner and more streamlined. Evernote just got so overcomplicated I'm liking the idea of something that strips back functionality, especially considering I'm using it for my own personal organization/productivity. Only downside for me so far is you can't email in notes. 

Microsoft OneNote is actually pretty good too, but more complicated than Bear, closer to Evernote. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
On 2/5/2021 at 5:12 PM, stocky2605 said:

no issues at all* with searching on any V10 client.It is super fast and reliable.

*) with the exception of shared notebooks from others to me on iOS - have to check this again someday

seems to be fixed with 10.5 - @PinkElephantfinally...

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
  • Level 5

Slick !

Just downloaded 10.5. Setup is iPad Pro 10.5, iOS 14.4, EN iOS 10.5, EN notebooks are fully downloaded for offline use.

Search for a term I know to be in notebooks shared to me as well as non shared ones produces 41 hits.

The same search in flight mode produced 53 hits.

WTF - too late today to start an analysis. Will try tomorrow to find the difference of 12 search hits. Support ticket, here I come !

Edit: Just tried the same search on legacy on my Mac: 63 hits. All of them are legitimate notes.

Support ticket is open.

  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post

Android update complicated what was so simple - adding tags. I just don't get it. Why constantly complicating things that were working truly fine??
Sometimes I'm wondering do programers use their own program (not for testing but acctualy in daily lifes) at all or they are just triger happy to try new stuff and have no clue how their soulutions are making this app more and more unintuitive?
 

  • Like 1
Link to post
6 hours ago, zolee said:

Android update complicated what was so simple - adding tags. I just don't get it. Why constantly complicating things that were working truly fine??

Yes! That was my big problem with the big update, aside from the bugs. All the core functions it seems like they unnecessarily made them harder to get to (moving folders/adding tags) and added at least one step to doing so. 

Link to post

I am very sad to say - I think Evernote has lost it's way.

What is needed is a leader with a clear vision and the VC's to back them up.

I do not fault the current management team, I am sure they are responding to financial/market pressures and user feedback to craft the Everneote they think the market wants.

I would love to buy Evernote and return to the roots which was a personal database product that makes it easy for users to create, collect and retrieve information.

Maybe what is needed is a new company that starts from scratch - but that takes soooo long to get going.

Today everyone is trying to create Enterprise/Business products, what I want is a personal product that I know will be around 50 years from now. I want a product that will be around in the future, so all my efforts will not be wasted. There are so many ways Evernote can be developed to improve the management and analysis of private or shared databases. There is a huge potential, a blind spot actually, that all the products I am aware of are missing.

I wonder how many other people want the same thing - a personal database that will be around 50 years from now?

omotxx@gmail.com

 

 

 

Link to post

EN was originally founded with a vision to be a 100-year company. Since then original CEO has left and market condition has changed. So I won't be surprised if EN goes bust in near future.

There will be always a small cult like users who would prefer a locally installed desktop app but industry trend and millennials are inclined to Cloud and hence a viable business may have to capture this market to remain profitable.

 

Link to post
2 minutes ago, Vidalia said:

EN was originally founded with a vision to be a 100-year company. Since then original CEO has left and market condition has changed. So I won't be surprised if EN goes bust in near future.

There will be always a small cult like users who would prefer a locally installed desktop app but industry trend and millennials are inclined to Cloud and hence a viable business may have to capture this market to remain profitable.

 

Evernote has just spent 2 years building the most modern note taking and productivity app with a firm basis on cloud technologies. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
2 hours ago, Vidalia said:

EN was originally founded with a vision to be a 100-year company. Since then original CEO has left and market condition has changed. So I won't be surprised if EN goes bust in near future.

There will be always a small cult like users who would prefer a locally installed desktop app but industry trend and millennials are inclined to Cloud and hence a viable business may have to capture this market to remain profitable.

 

Cloud-only is not the solution, it only takes one data loss incident to realize that. The best approach is to combine cloud storage with local backups. And at any rate, the issue is not cloud vs desktop, the issue is with performance.

 

 

Link to post

I'm still using the legacy version on the PC (6.25), cause as I can see, there's no point to upgrading to V10, just yet, cause of all the issues.

However, the Android version keeps getting better and better with each update.

Link to post
26 minutes ago, Akos_M said:

However, the Android version keeps getting better and better with each update.

Not in combination with Office documents, when you copy paste text most of the time the app crashes.... result-> Note is deleted or corrupted.
Searching is OK, navigating also... it is better, although a key feature is still missing: performance....

Link to post
6 hours ago, ArjenC said:

Not in combination with Office documents, when you copy paste text most of the time the app crashes.... result-> Note is deleted or corrupted.
Searching is OK, navigating also... it is better, although a key feature is still missing: performance....

Did not use it in combination with Office documents. Totally agree on the performance part. The app and the notes load very slow, and you cannot use fast scrolling. 

Link to post

Android version has been the least problematic over the years. Second was Windows (unless it crashes of course). iOS used to be fine but now it's a total disaster, unusable on iPad 2016. MacOS used to be great up to a few years ago and now it's a total disaster (10.12 and 10.13). It's runs better on 10.14 but that's not the point.

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...