Am I the only one getting fed up with Evernote?

• Level 5*
On 1/30/2021 at 10:10 PM, Tatejw said:

Absolutely not

On 1/30/2021 at 10:10 PM, Tatejw said:

I'm thinking of ditching it for something else, would love to hear about alternatives or others' experiences.

A lot of others have posted here with various analyses and suggestions - try a general web search for Evernote Alternatives,  or use the Forum search at the top of the page.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
On 1/30/2021 at 2:10 PM, Tatejw said:

I'm sill using the Evernote Legacy product on my Mac   
It continues to work well for me; I have no plans at present to switch products

• Like 4

I think this is a normal part of life. There are lots of good products out there. I'm sure Notion (for example) is quite capable. 

Evernote seems to be experiencing a bit of a renaissance at the moment. The initial problems of the v10 release are being fixed and new stuff is being added. 

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, squatch said:

Can you please elaborate about what you mean here?

4 hours ago, ehrt74 said:

The initial problems of the v10 release are being fixed and new stuff is being added. 

Evernote brought out some new stuff that had a lot of issues,  which they're currently fixing...

8 hours ago, squatch said:

Can you please elaborate about what you mean here?

I've noticed that comments on YouTube videos for example have been a lot more positive in the last month or so. For the last 5 years, comments about Evernote have been overwhelmingly negative. This got even worse after the first release of v10. Now i'm mostly reading positive comments.

• Like 1

Yesterday I was fed up with Evernote and made up my mind to use OneNote instead.

Today I found a way to downgrade it and I am still here to complain.

Why did they delete one of the most fundamental features, "Scale note body size" setting? I really don't understand.. the default font size of 16 is too small to read. (I have no problem about my eyesight, I am just used to reading bigger texts)

I don't want to change the font size of each note whenever I start to write.

I am new here Evernote discussions. Do developers listen to what we're talking about here?

Horrible horrible update

Screenshot_20210202-172734_Evernote.jpg

• Like 1

@Joungsoung - sadly they do not seem to look at the forums much. I found the best way to get a response from them is to email support with reproducible details on a specific complaint.

I had about 25 complaints after foolishly downloading v10, thinking it was an update and not a basically from scratch new product. I was at least able to get support to see a couple solid examples of how search was actually malfunctioning. I know they emailed about a "faster" search with enhanced options around 1/1/2021, but I haven't been brave enough to reinstall v10, to see what fresh hell they've come up with. I'm sticking to Legacy for the time being.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, 10gallonhat said:

@Joungsoung - sadly they do not seem to look at the forums much. I found the best way to get a response from them is to email support with reproducible details on a specific complaint.

I had about 25 complaints after foolishly downloading v10, thinking it was an update and not a basically from scratch new product. I was at least able to get support to see a couple solid examples of how search was actually malfunctioning. I know they emailed about a "faster" search with enhanced options around 1/1/2021, but I haven't been brave enough to reinstall v10, to see what fresh hell they've come up with. I'm sticking to Legacy for the time being.

Thanks for your answer. I see we have to stick to Legacy for a while. Haha I really was supposed to subscribe their plan but it seems I should wait 😂

• Level 5*
34 minutes ago, Joungsoung said:

I really was supposed to subscribe their plan but it seems I should wait 😂

If the Legacy product is working for you, I see no problem subscribing on a monthly basis   
(I wouldn't commit  to an annual subscription)
Also, keep an eye on your post-Legacy options, but don't get hung up on the ongoing Version 10 fiasco

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@DTLow has the right plan. I very happily didn't even think about v10 for over a month. The only reason I'm considering even looking at the latest version is to see how they may have "fixed" search. I may give it another month or two before I actually try it. Legacy continues to check all my requirements boxes.

So, now "Search" doesn't work at all? Using iOS version of Evernote 10.4, iOS 14.4 It just spins and spins and no results are given.

Evernote has become more and more worthless. So very frustrating.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Meya said:

So, now "Search" doesn't work at all? Using iOS version of Evernote 10.4, iOS 14.4 It just spins and spins and no results are given.

Evernote has become more and more worthless. So very frustrating.

no issues at all* with searching on any V10 client.It is super fast and reliable.

*) with the exception of shared notebooks from others to me on iOS - have to check this again someday

• Like 2
On 2/1/2021 at 5:19 PM, gazumped said:

Evernote brought out some new stuff that had a lot of issues,  which they're currently fixing...

And they took away some major functionality which broke long standing (10 year + for me) workflows. Basic product advice: If you bring out something new, don't break what works, or have an alternate method to achieve the functionality. EN most certainly did not do this with v10.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
27 minutes ago, JerryTop said:

Agreed completely. The last update is soooo bad, its like their techies hate people. I am just about done with Evernote, too bad

If you dislike the update so much,  the legacy version is still available for every OS except iOS. 

A good many folks are now posting positive reviews,  so things should be getting better after several updates to version 10 already.

Like many,  I've not experienced any change to my workflow - I'm still operating on Legacy versions.

On 1/30/2021 at 5:10 PM, Tatejw said:

I'm thinking of ditching it for something else, would love to hear about alternatives or others' experiences. 

Update if anyone is interested in alternatives - I'm trying out Bear. I like it so far because it's far cleaner and more streamlined. Evernote just got so overcomplicated I'm liking the idea of something that strips back functionality, especially considering I'm using it for my own personal organization/productivity. Only downside for me so far is you can't email in notes. 

Microsoft OneNote is actually pretty good too, but more complicated than Bear, closer to Evernote. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Slick !

Just downloaded 10.5. Setup is iPad Pro 10.5, iOS 14.4, EN iOS 10.5, EN notebooks are fully downloaded for offline use.

Search for a term I know to be in notebooks shared to me as well as non shared ones produces 41 hits.

The same search in flight mode produced 53 hits.

WTF - too late today to start an analysis. Will try tomorrow to find the difference of 12 search hits. Support ticket, here I come !

Edit: Just tried the same search on legacy on my Mac: 63 hits. All of them are legitimate notes.

Support ticket is open.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Android update complicated what was so simple - adding tags. I just don't get it. Why constantly complicating things that were working truly fine??
Sometimes I'm wondering do programers use their own program (not for testing but acctualy in daily lifes) at all or they are just triger happy to try new stuff and have no clue how their soulutions are making this app more and more unintuitive?

• Like 1
6 hours ago, zolee said:

Android update complicated what was so simple - adding tags. I just don't get it. Why constantly complicating things that were working truly fine??

Yes! That was my big problem with the big update, aside from the bugs. All the core functions it seems like they unnecessarily made them harder to get to (moving folders/adding tags) and added at least one step to doing so. 

• Like 1

I am very sad to say - I think Evernote has lost it's way.

What is needed is a leader with a clear vision and the VC's to back them up.

I do not fault the current management team, I am sure they are responding to financial/market pressures and user feedback to craft the Everneote they think the market wants.

I would love to buy Evernote and return to the roots which was a personal database product that makes it easy for users to create, collect and retrieve information.

Maybe what is needed is a new company that starts from scratch - but that takes soooo long to get going.

Today everyone is trying to create Enterprise/Business products, what I want is a personal product that I know will be around 50 years from now. I want a product that will be around in the future, so all my efforts will not be wasted. There are so many ways Evernote can be developed to improve the management and analysis of private or shared databases. There is a huge potential, a blind spot actually, that all the products I am aware of are missing.

I wonder how many other people want the same thing - a personal database that will be around 50 years from now?

omotxx@gmail.com

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

EN was originally founded with a vision to be a 100-year company. Since then original CEO has left and market condition has changed. So I won't be surprised if EN goes bust in near future.

There will be always a small cult like users who would prefer a locally installed desktop app but industry trend and millennials are inclined to Cloud and hence a viable business may have to capture this market to remain profitable.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Vidalia said:

EN was originally founded with a vision to be a 100-year company. Since then original CEO has left and market condition has changed. So I won't be surprised if EN goes bust in near future.

There will be always a small cult like users who would prefer a locally installed desktop app but industry trend and millennials are inclined to Cloud and hence a viable business may have to capture this market to remain profitable.

Evernote has just spent 2 years building the most modern note taking and productivity app with a firm basis on cloud technologies. 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Vidalia said:

Cloud-only is not the solution, it only takes one data loss incident to realize that. The best approach is to combine cloud storage with local backups. And at any rate, the issue is not cloud vs desktop, the issue is with performance.

I'm still using the legacy version on the PC (6.25), cause as I can see, there's no point to upgrading to V10, just yet, cause of all the issues.

However, the Android version keeps getting better and better with each update.

26 minutes ago, Akos_M said:

However, the Android version keeps getting better and better with each update.

Not in combination with Office documents, when you copy paste text most of the time the app crashes.... result-> Note is deleted or corrupted.
Searching is OK, navigating also... it is better, although a key feature is still missing: performance....

6 hours ago, ArjenC said:

Not in combination with Office documents, when you copy paste text most of the time the app crashes.... result-> Note is deleted or corrupted.
Searching is OK, navigating also... it is better, although a key feature is still missing: performance....

Did not use it in combination with Office documents. Totally agree on the performance part. The app and the notes load very slow, and you cannot use fast scrolling. 

Android version has been the least problematic over the years. Second was Windows (unless it crashes of course). iOS used to be fine but now it's a total disaster, unusable on iPad 2016. MacOS used to be great up to a few years ago and now it's a total disaster (10.12 and 10.13). It's runs better on 10.14 but that's not the point.

• 11 months later...

You're definitely not the only one, no. There are quite a few frustrating things about Evernote for me, a lot of them being primarily on the Android side of things.

At the same time, Evernote offers me what other products don't. There are plenty of other products: Nimbus Note, Zoho Notebook, OneNote, Notion, and more; all of them are wonderful, but Evernote is a great combination of the two and I really enjoy the new Evernote Web design.

That being said, I do think Evernote is quite slow and sluggish in many areas compared to the other products, and they have a lot of things I'm sure they are working to fix.

The same is to be said about any area in life. When you have problems with something or someone, you try to work with it and fix the way you interact with the situation rather than throwing it away. I stick with it in spite of its flaws because I genuinely enjoy it the most, all the while knowing there are "better" products out there. It's just about your willingness to stick around.

Also: I think Evernote is still trying to find its footing, what with all the new tools coming out, it's doing its best to compete.

I hope Evernote will work better in the future, and I agree with what you're saying. A lot of people seem to be unhappy with Evernote compared to its earlier iterations, but I'm sure it's a natural part of product evolution that will eventually level out.

• Like 2

Evernote has gotten too complex & hard to use on my iPad!

Too many features that aren’t needed.

Too Bad, it was such a Great Note App when it started.

Default font size needs to be 20 instead of 16 for me in iPad. user selectable.

Couldn't find a Simple Search hourglass feature, don’t need tagging.

i May have to cancel my paid subscription, and find a simpler way to take notes. 

Now it’s becoming yet another Bloatware, driven by young ambitious programmers.

MTCW, JT 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I second that! More feature on every release without fixing existing issues. Paying customer for many many years but getting fed up slowly especially when there's so many alternatives now. 

Evernote, we need 10 features that are bulletproof, not 100 that work from time to time. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
9 hours ago, b-boris said:

Evernote, we need 10 features that are bulletproof, not 100 that work from time to time. 

Which 10 would you vote for?  Because I bet that's not the same list I have...

• Like 3
  • Level 5

… and which ones are only working from time to time ?

There are for sure some ideas how to improve the iOS app (especially on the iPad), but from the functional side I experience a very reliable, solid app that hardly gives any headaches. And it is by far better and more feature complete that anything that existed on iOS before v10 was launched and then improved.

It works well since the release of v10.6 - we are now running v10.28.

P.S. Anybody who wants to try one of the many alternatives should do so - nobody forces you guys to continue with EN. My impression from the forum is that since some months, we have more questions here of how to get stuff FROM one of the „alternatives“ INTO EN, than questions about how to wrap it up and leave. This of course is not a solid statistic, but points to a gain of relative strength.

• Like 1

Yes,  I have been using Evernote since 2011 on a MacBook.  It now uses all my application memory and frequently asks if I want to wait or reload the window. It never proceeds. Since I have such a history of using Evernote that the thought of reformatting all my notes to conform to another application seems insurmountable. 

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, punkingee said:

the thought of reformatting all my notes to conform to another application seems insurmountable. 

It can be done. I did not want to switch but was forced to as the new EN was not working for my use case. I completed the conversion this past December.  I keep a Basic account running 6.25.1, rarely used to date.  I also visit the forums from time to time to see if any significant improvements to performance are implemented as I would not mind returning if my use case were better supported.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

I haven't had any performance issues since the very earliest version of EN v10.

Indeed, the last couple of releases on desktop seem to be doing things much more quickly. For me, the Android app is better than it ever was with the previous version. As ever, of course, YMMV.

• Like 1
On 3/10/2022 at 5:30 AM, b-boris said:

I second that! More feature on every release without fixing existing issues. Paying customer for many many years but getting fed up slowly especially when there's so many alternatives now. 

Which 10 features? Going to be different for everyone - no way EN can make everyone happy.

I am one of the many that has not had problems in a long time. When v10 was released I was not happy and tried a few alternatives, but kept coming back to EN. Glad I did stay with EN as I am finding it much better than it was in the past. I also currently find it much for my usage than the old version as well. the iOS app is leaps and bounds above where it was before. I have probably added more notes in the past year than I did in the 3 - 5 years before that and I am defiantly in the apps much more now than anytime before.

I do know and get that some folks workflows have been broken and EN is no longer the best app for them. I would be willing to bet though that EN has gained more users than lost since the release of v10, not that they would ever share that. 

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
29 minutes ago, CalS said:

Unfortunately not everyone has shared your experience @agsteele.  ☹️

As I said, 'YMMV' ;) I've certainly had to amend my ways of doing things but that was fairly straightforward.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

@CalS Hi Cal, if I read the last forum week correctly, you just need to get yourself a decent computer (which just to mention is not running on Intel, AMD and Windows 😉), install at least 10.32 desktop and brace for the acceleration. It was the first time I’ve read the v10 client to be faster than legacy.

If you have the bucks, the new beast in town is named „Studio“ … 🚀

• Haha 1

My yearly subscription ended today, so I'm out. The company is no longer focussed on writing notetaking software, but they're now going down the road of a productivity tool.  This would be fine when they're put back in the missing features we used to have first. I'm not using OneNote and that'll be fine until they get back on track.

• Level 5

You don’t tell which features you are missing, so hard to imagine about what you are talking. Fact is EN still is a strong note taking app. Additional features are nobody’s harm, but a welcome add on and chances for extended use cases for many users. If this makes us more productive, all the better. Who would be opposed to get more things done ?

The rest is „I am unhappy“, and that‘s it. Wish you more luck with your next pick.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, Matt Whitby said:

notetaking software

What "note taking" problems are you having?   
imho Evernote's note editor is a solid feature that works well

I'm actually more concerned with note storage and organization

• Like 1

I like V10 visuals (dark mode).  V6 looked like yearly 2000 app.

Didn't used V6 as note taking app. Mostly used Android app for scanning documents.

In V10 started deep dive, using EN as productivity tool.

My issues are: Note formatting is too basic, could be faster...

On the other side, other apps use folder structure and don't offer tagging (or offer basic tagging) and don't offer saved searches.

I think EN are the right way and should looks at Nimbus notes for some idea such as smart document formatting and improve tasks which I use allot.

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

@CalS Hi Cal, if I read the last forum week correctly, you just need to get yourself a decent computer (which just to mention is not running on Intel, AMD and Windows 😉), install at least 10.32 desktop and brace for the acceleration. It was the first time I’ve read the v10 client to be faster than legacy.

Haha, not sure I am ready for the dark side!

IAC, issue does not seem to be my old decrepit docked X230.  Windows 6.25.1 runs circles around V10, at least pre 10.32.  Again, my use case.  My new method, cobbled as it may be, does the same.  

There’s more to performance than hardware.  Half of the performance issue for me are the extra clicks and lack of easy access to shortcuts.  And last I checked complex tag searches are still an issue?  Some saved searches don’t work in the current browser version anyway. Not good for me. 

I’ve said it before, 6.25.1 spoiled me.  Neither ugly nor pretty but fast and UI friendly for my use case.  No search lags whatsoever with 57k notes.  V.10 scuttled that.  V10 may get there someday, hope so.  No emotion here, it just is what it is.  Okay, maybe a little sadness….  😉

• Like 1
13 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

You don’t tell which features you are missing, so hard to imagine about what you are talking. Fact is EN still is a strong note taking app. Additional features are nobody’s harm, but a welcome add on and chances for extended use cases for many users. If this makes us more productive, all the better. Who would be opposed to get more things done ?

The rest is „I am unhappy“, and that‘s it. Wish you more luck with your next pick.

Thanks. I didn't feel to repeat myself on features we used to have ad-nauseum.

13 hours ago, DTLow said:

What "note taking" problems are you having?   
imho Evernote's note editor is a solid feature that works well

I'm actually more concerned with note storage and organization

One feature that I used literally every day was marking an entry as a quotation, since I used it mostly for making notes on books I'm reading. The closest to a reply I ever got was 'use code blocks".

• Evernote Expert
47 minutes ago, Matt Whitby said:

One feature that I used literally every day was marking an entry as a quotation, since I used it mostly for making notes on books I'm reading. The closest to a reply I ever got was 'use code blocks".

I'm guessing that you are using a Mac rather than Windows based computer. I had no recollection of, and just checked and could not find, any option to mark text as a Quotation in Evernote 6.25 on Windows. A reverse issue was the availability of Import Folders which were a Windows feature not available on MacOS.

Given that the stated aim is to make the user experience uniform, if I am correct about Quotation marking being a MacOS feature from the past, then that will likely account for why it went missing. If I am wrong then can you say how you achieve a Quotation block in the Windows legacy?

I've just noted elsewhere that I mark quotes with a Quote Emoji. I also indent the paragraph. Like this...

💬 Quote goes here...

Tate I feel you pain,

Bring back the old EN and KIS (keep it simple)

I regally go between devices and make notes, on the android device I'm regally duplicating notes, ok partly my fault, EN does alert me to this. My notes are sometimes pages long, it doesn't say where the duplication occurs, I have to print out both notes and compare by hand so I can delete the note with the missing information.  Even the old MSDOS had a "file compare" command, how hard is it?

The latest beef is it takes hours to log into the EN web, I left it running the green circle of death all yesterday and at some time last night it logged in, by this morning it wanted to reconnect, it's been trying to connect for about 4hrs so far.

And to top it off EN keeps hitting me up for more money, for features I don't want (especially now) how about giving me what I already pay for.

1266288038_GreenCircleofdeath.jpg.d6e6af5b6b6a79b65e5900bbe3dd620a.jpg    

5 hours ago, camtec99 said:

The latest beef is it takes hours to log into the EN web, I left it running the green circle of death all yesterday and at some time last night it logged in, by this morning it wanted to reconnect, it's been trying to connect for about 4hrs so far.

I've been getting this issue most days for a month or so; if the green progress bar across the top doesn't appear, it's never going to load. For me, starting EN in a new window can sometimes get me the green spinner of doom while existing EN instances in another window keep working fine. Support suggested clearing the EN cache, and while that did work, I've found closing all the browser windows usually sorts it, and a restart always does. It seems to be linked to reconnecting to wifi after a suspend, for me at least, but I haven't managed to suss out an easy workaround so far.

• Level 5

If on a browser, anybody thought about clearing the cache ? Every browser tends to collect website data, to speed up things when the website is accessed again. This can backfire, especially on an active site like EN. Cleaning the saved website data for Evernote.com usually solves the problem. New login needed.

About comparing text notes: Select all (on Mac cmd-A, no idea on Windows, maybe ctrl-A), copy the text to an app that sports a document compare option. MS Word for example, or LibreOffice as one of the free alternatives.

To avoid one source of duplication, split long text oriented documents into several smaller ones. This streamlines sync - EN will always sync the whole note, not only the changes. When the note is large, one sync may not have terminated before the next one initiates.

Decade-long EN user here. The new versions took a little getting-use-to. Aesthetically, I don't like the current sans serif font. To me, it's a "condense-feeling" sans, and now this is the only sans option on EN. Pragmatically, because I'm slightly dyslexic, I miss being able to read and write with more font options. The Avenir Heavy, for example, helps to double my reading endurance. 

Screen Shot 2022-03-16 at 10.39.32 AM.png

On 3/11/2022 at 2:38 PM, PinkElephant said:

This  has nothing to do with Evernote performance but I had to chime in on the Studio ;) I want one so bad and about gave my husband a heart attack when I mentioned price. I did put it on my dream board, so there's that.

• Level 5

Just get one and save your best smile for your husband. It is not a computer most of us will need - you can run a normal work day (Mail, Office suite, Browser Apps) on a Raspberry Pi, selling for 100 bucks.

But imagine - a M1 that needs cooling 🏎️ 

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Just get one and save your best smile for your husband. It is not a computer most of us will need - you can run a normal work day (Mail, Office suite, Browser Apps) on a Raspberry Pi, selling for 100 bucks.

But imagine - a M1 that needs cooling 🏎️ 

I like the way you think lol.

• Haha 1

It's a bit annoying the way the computer architecture wars have played out. in the 80s there were so many interesting architectures. things like Sparc, MIPS, ARM, PowerPC, PA-Risc and of course Intel x86. The least capable of all these architectures was Intel x86, but it was also the cheapest. 

A while back i got a sun 5120 server with an UltraSPARC T2. That was made in 2007 and could run 64 threads. It was faster than my i7 on certain parallelizable tasks in 2018. Other architectures were similarly powerful.

Now ARM is gradually entering the PC space. It's been used in servers for a while now, and i suppose it's better than Intel if you're looking at processing power / watt.  However workloads are so specialised nowadays, so specialised hardware is often used (see for example the custom chips google uses for encoding youtube videos).

So all that is left today is Intel 86 (with 64 bit extensions), ARM (in various versions) and the interesting stuff (IBM Z Series?). 

But there's one more architecture that is advancing very quickly: RiscV. :) Open-source hardware and just as capable as the closed-source stuff. It's what SUN tried to do with the opensparc architecture.

And all of this is possible because of free and open-source software. As soon as the Linux kernel and gcc support the chip architecture pretty much all software you need can run on it.

-- edit --

i think it's also worth mentioning that the view we have of computer hardware is a very biased one. we think of computing as being that which webservers, pcs or mobile phones do. In fact it is estimated 80% of the computing that happens on the planet is carried out in COBOL programs on IBM mainframes running 24 hours a day for years without downtime (you can replace CPUs or RAM in a mainframe without switching it off). IBM is a huge company with more employees than Apple, Microsoft and Google combined and it dominates the market for "computing stuff which actually needs to be done correctly and reliably otherwise bad things will happen".

On 3/12/2022 at 3:24 PM, agsteele said:

I'm guessing that you are using a Mac rather than Windows based computer. I had no recollection of, and just checked and could not find, any option to mark text as a Quotation in Evernote 6.25 on Windows. A reverse issue was the availability of Import Folders which were a Windows feature not available on MacOS.

Given that the stated aim is to make the user experience uniform, if I am correct about Quotation marking being a MacOS feature from the past, then that will likely account for why it went missing. If I am wrong then can you say how you achieve a Quotation block in the Windows legacy?

I've just noted elsewhere that I mark quotes with a Quote Emoji. I also indent the paragraph. Like this...

💬 Quote goes here...

I use Windows.

It was in the legacy app somewhere. I kept waiting for them to put back in the current version, but they never did.

• Level 5

What did it do for your use case if you marked something as a quotation ?

You said you used it a lot in legacy - what was the purpose ?

EN support is right that if you want to separate any part of a note from the rest, a code block will do the job. It just comes along with some features that may not be welcome if not talking about code, like the monospaced, typewriter style font.

• 2 months later...

agreed. I am so tired of note conflicts and not knowing what to do with them. AND it keeps adding bullets to my checklists.  AND I have never liked the oh-so-wonderful search that doesn't even take you to the "found" search item. AND why does it take 3 steps to find a sync button in the phone app.  AND what is so hard to understand about having shortcuts that have to be found on the android app instead of being on top. I used to love evernote, but now I hate it and am considering other options, up to and including a stack of post-it notes!

• Level 5

Simple advise: Leave. Find something that sparks joy for you again. 

You focus on total side aspects that have nothing to do with core functions. Which is a clear sign you are looking for excuses for yourself to proclaim a decision you already took. So just make the move.

You will feel better - if it helps objectively or not is not important. So no need to comment on your „findings“ - you are obviously beyond that.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, DavePageGA said:

but now I hate it and am considering other options

Man, life is too short to use software that you hate. I'd do more than just consider if I were you. There are so many other note taking, document tracking, and productivity apps out there -- so many.

• Like 3
On 2/16/2021 at 7:42 AM, kongulu said:

I am very sad to say - I think Evernote has lost it's way.

What is needed is a leader with a clear vision and the VC's to back them up.

I do not fault the current management team, I am sure they are responding to financial/market pressures and user feedback to craft the Everneote they think the market wants.

I would love to buy Evernote and return to the roots which was a personal database product that makes it easy for users to create, collect and retrieve information.

Maybe what is needed is a new company that starts from scratch - but that takes soooo long to get going.

Today everyone is trying to create Enterprise/Business products, what I want is a personal product that I know will be around 50 years from now. I want a product that will be around in the future, so all my efforts will not be wasted. There are so many ways Evernote can be developed to improve the management and analysis of private or shared databases. There is a huge potential, a blind spot actually, that all the products I am aware of are missing.

I wonder how many other people want the same thing - a personal database that will be around 50 years from now?

omotxx@gmail.com

Amen.  I use Evernote as a very important job and life tool.  It’s like an ADHD cure when used and setup just right.  I keep all of my written jokes in a complex array of folders which make things so easy.  I can come up with an idea on my iPhone Evernote and then complete it back on my iMac.  I save images, use it for a personal knowledge base and Evernote had become my memory.  But recent versions have made performance so bad.  I think the last updates I cared about were being able to add images, colored text, private links to other notes, better search, image text search and voice notes.  Outside that it’s just gone downhill.  I would pay double the money monthly for just a clean, high-performance personal version that doesn’t have all of the bells and whistles that have caused personal grief like wasted waiting time and constantly lost text.

When I last tried OneNote I couldn’t find a way to save images or email notes.  It just doesn’t have the features that the high watermark of Evernote had.  And it was harder to organize notes.  For me Evernote peaked in 2018 or 2019.  Which makes me sad.  Even a broken Evernote still is far better than a lot of similar apps.  But that’s starting to change.  I would never have jumped ship in 2018.  Now I’m constantly looking for something that can just do what Evernote could do by 2019.  I wish I could buy the 2019 version and build a fork that’s just for personal knowledge-bases.

On 6/10/2022 at 5:39 PM, Boot17 said:

Man, life is too short to use software that you hate. I'd do more than just consider if I were you. There are so many other note taking, document tracking, and productivity apps out there -- so many.

Do you have any suggestions for someone who likes adding images, & using self-created templates daily?  I have yet to find an app that lives up to old Evernote.  I like saving voice as well.

On 6/10/2022 at 5:26 PM, DavePageGA said:

agreed. I am so tired of note conflicts and not knowing what to do with them. AND it keeps adding bullets to my checklists.  AND I have never liked the oh-so-wonderful search that doesn't even take you to the "found" search item. AND why does it take 3 steps to find a sync button in the phone app.  AND what is so hard to understand about having shortcuts that have to be found on the android app instead of being on top. I used to love evernote, but now I hate it and am considering other options, up to and including a stack of post-it notes!

I have spent countless hours on those note conflicts.  Then I have to side-by-side compare them to see which one warehouses any kind of important missing data.  most days I get up to 6 versions of the same note, are you seeing this issue as well?

29 minutes ago, timmycomedy said:

Do you have any suggestions for someone who likes adding images, & using self-created templates daily?

Evernote is my first and top suggestion. I'm mostly joking, because I know the question was about alternatives to Evernote v10, but for me v10 is way better than legacy Evernote. I rarely have conflict/duplicate issues and I run Evernote on 5 different devices and have two of them open all the time -- sometimes working on the same note (which is not recommended). I don't have performance issues or other big issues mentioned in this thread. (I have tiny gripes like the thumbnail image being random, no backlinks or linking to anchors / TOC, collapsible sections, etc. -- but no app is gonna be perfect.)

Alternatives to Evernote are: Upnote (best fit and pretty awesome IMO), then Notesnook, then Nimbus Notes, then Ample Note. If you are Apple ecosystem only then Craft then Bear. Also check out https://www.noteapps.info/ (if you haven't seen it already) for a good sight with good comparisons. Funnily enough, noteapps.info doesn't have info on Upnote last time I looked.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Boot17 said:

Evernote is my first and top suggestion. I'm mostly joking, because I know the question was about alternatives to Evernote v10, but for me v10 is way better than legacy Evernote. I rarely have conflict/duplicate issues and I run Evernote on 5 different devices and have two of them open all the time -- sometimes working on the same note (which is not recommended). I don't have performance issues or other big issues mentioned in this thread. (I have tiny gripes like the thumbnail image being random, no backlinks or linking to anchors / TOC, collapsible sections, etc. -- but no app is gonna be perfect.)

Alternatives to Evernote are: Upnote (best fit and pretty awesome IMO), then Notesnook, then Nimbus Notes, then Ample Note. If you are Apple ecosystem only then Craft then Bear. Also check out https://www.noteapps.info/ (if you haven't seen it already) for a good sight with good comparisons. Funnily enough, noteapps.info doesn't have info on Upnote last time I looked.

That’s so interesting.  I wonder what it is that I’m doing so differently.  I use Evernote all day off and on and have some 20,000 notes - maybe that’s the issue.  I regularly use an iPhone 11P, iPhone 12M, iPad Pro, and iMac Pro, newest v.  I also switch from apps.  I’ll read an article in Safari, then go back to Evernote to write my joke.  Then go to the calculator app for something, then back to Evernote.  Maybe that’s unusual.

One thing I could be doing different is that I travel and use Evernote - on the NYC subway from Office to home.  Also at home my wifi is a service of the building and it fluctuates.  I wish I could learn which factors are different for me.

i also start every day using a self-created Evernote template.  Maybe it’s my use of templates that’s different.  I also always add images.  Maybe too many images in a note bogs down the local version?

In my own experience it feels like local version VS cloud version are in this never ending war of attrition.  The end result are some 4-6 duplicate versions (“a copy of this note has been saved” warning), missing text, and screen lockups.  I would love to discover what things I’m doing are different or the same.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, timmycomedy said:

I use Evernote all day off and on and have some 20,000 notes - maybe that’s the issue.

Depends on your hardware - I have 57,000 notes and on my new Win 11 computer with 32GB memory and a 1TB SSD v10 runs fantastically well.  My old Dell laptop is still running Win 10 and EN 6.25 and hiccups a lot.  Neither have a duplicates issue,  probably because I'm based in two locations that have a good network connection and my mobile devices are mainly used (again with Legacy apps) for lookups. When adding new notes and images I usually complete the process,  and leave the app to sync the details to the server.

2 hours ago, timmycomedy said:

like local version VS cloud version are in this never ending war of attrition.

On mobiles,  when you have a bad connection or are travelling,  maybe use Airplane mode to keep things local?  @PinkElephant uses that when commuting...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

It should be obvious that a shaky internet connection can cause a lot of trouble - not only when traveling.

I even go offline with EN when on a train with my MacBook Pro. To do this while enjoying the free WiFi and browsing, I use an app called TripMode. It allows to selectively switch apps offline, while the device stays logged in.

There are 2 options to start with: All off, allow which app gets in, or All on, switch apps off. It was originally intended to limit data flow when using a personal hotspot (nobody wants a 3.x MacOS update to load while on mobile roaming), but it works as well to create an „offline“ profile for a set of apps.

When we reach a station where the train will stay a little longer (switching directions), I often go to full online. Syncing is so fast that the edits from some hours on the train get synced in 2-3 minutes, at most. How do I know ? Because TripMode monitors the data flow as well - it is interesting to see the EN apps data flow going up seconds after the offline mode is disabled, and see it fall again after the syncing is through.

I think for anybody with a share of traveling such an app does a lot to improve online life while traveling. 

Disclaimer: No, it is not „my“ app, and I don’t get a cut from forum users downloads. Just my personal experience - not limited to using EN, but all type of cloud services while on shaky internet.

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips.  Sadly today I went into airplane mode and the moment my app connected, 3 versions of the note I was editing appeared.  Also lost some text this morning before even leaving the apartment.  The good news is that Development has finally got enough information from me and are working on the issue.  It seems to be some kind of glitch in the way Evernote keeps information prior to syncing - this is my explaination and understanding so my terms or description may not be accurate.

Some of the Info From Support:

“Thanks for keeping in touch.

I really appreciate your effort in providing additional information of your concern. I've looked into this further based on all the information I've gathered from you, I can confirm that our development team is now aware of the performance issues you are encountering. Our Development Team is working diligently to fix these issues as soon as possible, and we do hope to see the improvements on our future releases as well.”

=

It took me countless hours to learn the right terms, find others with the issue, prove it’s not just stupidity, and get them to duplicate it in any way, but finally they can see the missing text issue themselves.  

Then I was also able to do the same with the duplicating notes issues that myself and others are experiencing.  I should note that even when I have been astronomically careful, that duplicate notes still happen, so even when I walk on egg shells, it’s an issue.
Their reply to that one:

”However, if the note was not open anywhere else, and you are still having duplicate copies of the note, it appears that this is already now a known issue that our product team is currently working on. Evernote is already working on improvements to sync to help reduce conflicts.

Our development team is currently working on improvements to reduce conflicting notes occurrences. I've gone ahead and gathered all the helpful information you provided and added to the report that is open with the development team. Although I can't give you a specific time frame of when this issue will be fixed please do know that our product team is now hard at work in addressing this issue.”

So it’s my hope that I’ve finally documented and proven the issue.  Please share with others who have been as frustrated as me, it may give them hope to know there is an active fight to get this fixed.

Best,

Timmy

• Like 3
  • 10 months later...

I HATE Evernote. It never syncs properly and I’ve lost so much information. I’m SO sorry i have a year’s subscription. The software does nothing。 调和油removed魔术贴藕粉他和

They removed 魔术贴藕粉他和 魔术贴藕粉他和

• Level 5

Some people get all the fun … somehow.

No such issues. Often the problems can be fixed by a simple logout / login from each client.

If problems persist on a desktop client, get rid of corrupted data by removing the local database (settings - don’t keep a copy of my data on this device (Win and Mac is vice versa / check or I check the option to dump the data) - then log out of your account, and quit the app).

On mobile log out, uninstall the client, restart the device, install fresh, log in.

As a subscriber you are paying to get support:

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Scarlett98765 said:

I HATE Evernote. It never syncs properly and I’ve lost so much information. I’m SO sorry i have a year’s subscription. The software does nothing。 调和油removed魔术贴藕粉他和

They removed 魔术贴藕粉他和 魔术贴藕粉他和

What device are you having these issues on?

• Level 5

I started Evernote 15 years ago (July 2008)

I have 40,651 notes on my primary account and an additional 24,000 notes in my archive secondary account.

Back then Evernote's mission was more geared toward the individual. It is my "2nd brain" with fast searching.
I can capture anything: save my ideas, things I like, things I hear, and things I see.

I miss the good old days when Phil Libin ran Evernote and he had a tight group of administrators. But even with all the changes since then, I have not found anything that can replace Evernote.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

Horses for courses.  They lost me with V10, unfortunately.  I did not want to go but you gotta do what you gotta do when it doesn't fit anymore....  🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, CalS said:

Horses for courses.  They lost me with V10, unfortunately.  I did not want to go but you gotta do what you gotta do when it doesn't fit anymore....  🤷‍♂️

I am the polar opposite been a paid user since 2011 but before V10 only a sporadic user. I was not a fan of the new app at first (probably because it took me out of my comfort zone with things being in different places).  Since the rollout of the Home Page, Calendar, Tasks and Backlinks, my use has more than quadrupled.  I binned Legacy over a year ago as I no need for it.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, bmcl26 said:

I was not a fan of the new app at first

I'm a Mac user,  using integrated scripting (Applescript) to automate my workflows   
Evernote's v10 product dropped support for Applescript, and is not acceptable for my use   
>I binned Legacy over a year ago 
Evernote's Legacy product still supports Applescript integration

3 hours ago, DTLow said:

I'm a Mac user,  using integrated scripting (Applescript) to automate my workflows   
Evernote's v10 product dropped support for Applescript, and is not acceptable for my use   
>I binned Legacy over a year ago 
Evernote's Legacy product still supports Applescript integration

Fine,  whatever works for you.  

• Level 5*
On 4/20/2023 at 8:57 AM, CalS said:

I still have the t-shirt. 

Same here.  Early V10 was painful to say the least and I ran legacy in parallel for a long time, but I’m now fully on board V10.  Speed was never that much of an issue for me but I do miss local notebooks.  I would like to see encrypted notebooks come, but I’m not holding my breath.  I’m happy, in general, with the new development.  Tasks has allowed me to drop my subscription to Todoist.

I’m curious to see what BS has planned and here’s hoping they don’t ***** it up or price me out.

Edit - interesting that the word s*c*r*e*w was blocked, but the other imagined word is fitting as well.

• Like 3
  • Level 5
On 4/21/2023 at 1:43 PM, CalS said:

Just got too slow for me. Still is when I visit my wife’s account. I was spoiled by instantaneous search and local notebooks. Again my use case. 

I run Legacy on an old Windows 7 computer, so it's relatively slow. I searched for a couple of terms that show up fewer than half a dozen times in my 1,600 notes, and got results in 5 seconds or a little less. In Evernote 10 on a much faster Windows 10 laptop I did the same and got results in 3-4 seconds. Make of this what you will, but I don't see a significant speed difference. And after a sync of the Legacy app, v. 10 had the search terms I'd used there pre-loaded, which surprised me; it didn't run the other way. Of course local notebooks is another issue entirely, and if you need 'em, you need 'em.

I think EN10 update/upgrade was necessary to move forward (although it was unfortunately also a kind of "downgrade" as some useful things were removed). And introducing tasks was a fantastic improvement! But the problem is EN10 still being on beta-phase, with unfinished features, irritating bugs and extremely slow sync (mobile) 😢

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
19 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I run Legacy on an old Windows 7 computer, so it's relatively slow. I searched for a couple of terms that show up fewer than half a dozen times in my 1,600 notes, and got results in 5 seconds or a little less. In Evernote 10 on a much faster Windows 10 laptop I did the same and got results in 3-4 seconds. Make of this what you will, but I don't see a significant speed difference. And after a sync of the Legacy app, v. 10 had the search terms I'd used there pre-loaded, which surprised me; it didn't run the other way. Of course local notebooks is another issue entirely, and if you need 'em, you need 'em.

I was at 56k notes when V10 arrived. The majority of my searches on V6 were instantaneous on an old Lenovo X230 running W10.  With no lag waiting for the index to update post changes. The original V10 was a disaster re those results.  I assumed it would get better but still be constrained by the internet/host based model.  So I moved on.  My recent forays using the browser with my now Basic account are MUCH better but still lag more than I like.  

In any case, no local notebooks is a show stopper.  Twenty percent of my notes were local.  It might be a tough decision if local notebooks returned should I, but that is unlikely. Use case thing more than anything else I suppose. 

• Like 2