10.7.6 - still a mess (poor performance, lost data)

Testing 10.7.6 - still a disaster for performance.

Release notes say performance is improved and "new note" is quicker.  

1) PAINFULLY SLOW:  on this test machine - 8gb ram, about 50gb free on the SSD, it takes FOURTEEN SECONDS from the time I click new note to be able to start writing a new note.  Yes 14 seconds!  Granted this machine isn't the quickest - BUT - it's not _that_ slow!

2) LOST DATA - typing a new note and then clicking NEW NOTE again will almost always result in lost data from the note I was just working on...  Reproduce just by typeing "test note" into your title, then clicking "new note".. I had everything from "t" to "test" to "test n" and a variety of combinations  from doing this. 

Overall - seems a LOT slower than 10.6.9 - I'm seeing that spinning green circle way  more.   Selected 9 notes to delete, took 35 seconds to finish the delete process.

My database is about 50,000 notes... I trimmed out about 25,000 notes the other day (FYI, ios devices didn't take well to this - I needed to uninstall and reinstall  to get notebooks caught back up - they were super slowly syncing - it would have taken days of the app being open to catch up). 

• Like 3
  • Level 5

As it seems the v10 clients are not yet really made for more than 10.000 notes (my estimate, maybe it is 15k or 20k). I don’t really understand your strategy to torment yourself to use it, and write post like this for the forum. If you have fun doing so, then have it.

Meanwhile I use legacy and follow the development with v10 with relaxed attention.

And no, I am not fan of v10 and the usability problems it is causing.

• Like 2

It is like having Lambo with 3 wheels and Golf III which is allright. You are teased that Lambo may be ready and someone is telling you - hey why you are upset with your 3 wheels Lambo, be happy with your Golf - everything is functioning there. Hard to do that when you are teased with the Lambo

• Level 5

If I want to shop for my weekly groceries, I rather take the Golf ...

Getting the job done is sometimes more important than running the latest, but ineffective gear. Whom do I want to impress by parking my Lambo in front of the Aldi, and freaking on getting even half of my shopping carts content stowed somewhere ? Everybody will think „Look at that poor guy, driving a Lambo, but not having the wits (or money) to get a shopping Golf as a sidecar“ 😅😂🤣

When I see that v10 is still not up to the job, I don’t pain myself using it, I go legacy, and be productive.

• Thanks 2

Yes but some aspects of v.10 help my productivity - colours, easthetics and the feel it is more solid. Hard now go back to the grey poor v6. There is some shine to this which is important to me. 

It would be so great if the lambo would have the 4th wheel, and because the promise is given all the time, people are frustrated.

I think it is quite expected and natural - lets say Ableton release version with some requested for long time things like colours and formatting and you play with it - it is great but there is another factor which takes all the fun away. It is like drinking sweet rice with sand - someone is then suggesting you tea - yes great no sand, but also you already tasted the sweet rice..sooo

2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

As it seems the v10 clients are not yet really made for more than 10.000 notes (my estimate, maybe it is 15k or 20k). I don’t really understand your strategy to torment yourself to use it, and write post like this for the forum. If you have fun doing so, then have it.

It's not so much tormenting myself as it is wanting to ensure the Evernote team knows that there are users like us "power users" that want to use the latest and greatest - but can't because of the problems.    They tease "better performance", but are not delivering (at least not to us all).   v10 should be the latest and greatest Evernote..  no company should be looking to release a product or service saying it is "sub-par" to their last model - can you imagine if Apple comes out in March and says, hey everybody, here's our new iPad Pro line up.. it's worse than our last released model, but the same price.  Less features, but hey, it's shiny & new so deal with it as-is.  

Regardless - I certainly do run Legacy to get things done, but at the same time want to use v10 to see what's new and how well it performs (or if it does)... and maybe, just maybe "the squeaky wheel" will get the grease one day (soon hopefully) and Evernote v10 will be amazing for everyone.

• Like 4
On 1/30/2021 at 11:12 AM, ej8899 said:

Testing 10.7.6 - still a disaster for performance.

Release notes say performance is improved and "new note" is quicker.  

1) PAINFULLY SLOW:  on this test machine - 8gb ram, about 50gb free on the SSD, it takes FOURTEEN SECONDS from the time I click new note to be able to start writing a new note.  Yes 14 seconds!  Granted this machine isn't the quickest - BUT - it's not _that_ slow!

2) LOST DATA - typing a new note and then clicking NEW NOTE again will almost always result in lost data from the note I was just working on...  Reproduce just by typeing "test note" into your title, then clicking "new note".. I had everything from "t" to "test" to "test n" and a variety of combinations  from doing this. 

Overall - seems a LOT slower than 10.6.9 - I'm seeing that spinning green circle way  more.   Selected 9 notes to delete, took 35 seconds to finish the delete process.

My database is about 50,000 notes... I trimmed out about 25,000 notes the other day (FYI, ios devices didn't take well to this - I needed to uninstall and reinstall  to get notebooks caught back up - they were super slowly syncing - it would have taken days of the app being open to catch up). 

+1. this is garbage. i paid for this product and i can't write a note without my macbook going into overdrive. i've reported this issue numerous times. 

there are clearly a number of race conditions running in parallel and the ordering is not being handled effectively. i can't believe i pay for this product.

Had really hoped Evernote would succeed in becoming future-proof.
After 8 years of Evernote user, I now started with Onenote .... not because I want to, but Evernote v10 frustrates too much.
I'm not using Evernote for one or two notes .. currently it holds 15k reference notes and is used for daily (work/home) activities, so i rely on my system. Evernote v10 is not stable and not trustworthy for production. Back to legacy version was a option, but due to 100% disappointment in approach and no communication from Evernote I decided to move...

I defended Evernote within my company, I'm the last person leaving (47 persons already switched) the software. 

Think v10 will be the begin of the end of Evernote.... hope I'm wrong.