New Hierarchy within notebooks

Rajesh Gaire

Idea

Introduction:

We all know that Evernote uses the system of notes and notebooks. The notes live within notebooks and the notebooks can be stacked into stacks. This is a true reflection of the hierarchy of notes and notebooks in real life, if you want more flexibility you use tags. This is the way it is and has been in Evernote, as the hierarchy is made to reflect that of the real life. However there is one type of hierarchy that can be used in notebooks in real life that Evernote does not have.

The Idea:

we all may have had notebook form time to time, by that i mean actual physical notebooks, you may have noticed in some notebooks there are tabs that separate pages and notes from other notes/pages. This example picture shows you what I mean:

image.jpeg.6abb4bba8e0bf07ab58cf03c7b513a22.jpeg

case reflection

Now we can reflect this in Evernote, what i mean is with this feature you are able to group notes within notebooks, so for example lets say we have a notebook(Evernote one) that contains notes on lets say fitness, in there you may have notes on cardio, leg exercises, videos of exercises, your own routines. The power users would make dashboards to add some control or some may use tables of content to organize, but most people do not have time to make complex dashboards if the example was larger. however if we were able to use this feature you could group notes into groups depending on what you want, so in this example you may group notes into sections such as: Cardio, Aero, Legs, Body, Back or... lets say : Exercises, videos, Your routines, Your plans. You get the idea, I am aware that this example is not for everybody but in your mind if you  think of a case scenario , you will see there are notebooks that would benefit form this a lot, and i am bold enough to say that there will be at least one notebook for everybody that will benefit from this.

Next steps:

if you like the idea please up vote it. upvoting does not mean that the devs will definitely add this feature but at least it will bring it to their eyes. Also, unlike other features you may have seen in feature request this is not asking for something radical, infact it sticks to the rules that Evernote has followed, it is a hierarchy that is realistic, something that you would find in actual notebooks.  It is a feature that takes it form their perspective as well as ours , also one that is reasonable and can be integrate into Evernote easily. So if you do like this idea please upvote and tag people to spread it.

I have tried to explain this as best as i could but i know there will be things that people will have questions on so if you do want to ask something please reply to this with my name and i will be sure to answer or comment on it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, Rajesh Gaire said:

lets say we have a notebook(Evernote one) that contains notes on lets say fitness, in there you may have notes on cardio, leg exercises, videos of exercises, your own routines. The power users would make dashboards to add some control or some may use tables of content to organize

Alternatively, a stack named Fitness, with notebooks Cardio, Leg Exercises Videos

Personally, I prefer tags, with unlimited levels of hierarchy   
Tags also allow for notes that fit multiple categories; for example a Cardio Video

Compound names also work.  Fitness-Cardio, Fitness-Leg, Fitness-Videos

• Like 2
4 hours ago, DTLow said:

Alternatively, a stack named Fitness, with notebooks Cardio, Leg Exercises Videos

Personally, I prefer tags, with unlimited levels of hierarchy   
Tags also allow for notes that fit multiple categories; for example a Cardio Video

Compound names also work.  Fitness-Cardio, Fitness-Leg, Fitness-Videos

Yes, that example was not a good one but this new hierarchy can be used like this, Especially if you are not a tag person. I am a sort of tag person but I like to organize by notebooks as well and this can give that one step more orgainisabilty for notes.

On 1/29/2021 at 9:36 AM, Rajesh Gaire said:

The Idea:  we all may have had notebook form time to time, by that i mean actual physical notebooks, you may have noticed in some notebooks there are tabs that separate pages and notes from other notes/pages. This example picture shows you what I mean:

image.jpeg.6abb4bba8e0bf07ab58cf03c7b513a22.jpeg

Next steps: this is not asking for something radical, in fact it sticks to the rules that Evernote has followed, it is a hierarchy that is realistic, something that you would find in actual notebooks.

Wow, I just got here! I am new to Evernote, and I was disappointed in only being able to create a two, or three, level hierarchy of note books. The ambition that you are referring to is called "classification," and I have been working on such systems for the past twelve years. In general, the library classification systems fail to meet our expectations for implementing them into our computer directory filings and application notation systems, such as Evernote.

If Evernote has a principle for "reflecting reality," then I need to check that out.

Anyway, to get to what you want, it is going to be a seven element subject system that covers all of reality efficiently, compared to the fifteen that the Dewey Decimal System has, and the 27 subjects that the Library of Congress classification system starts off with. Hopefully, I can provide more details later on.

Reality

1. Nature
  2. Technology
  3. Life
  4. Society
  5. Culture
  6. Time

Personal

1. Relations
  2. Activities
  3. Health
  4. Civil
  5. Organizations
  6. Property

SLnotebook.png

This idea from OP can actually be accomplished within Evernote as it currently exists. You just have rethink Evernote's "container" nomenclature.

I go back and forth between using OneNote and Evernote. Not picking favorites here - just trying to make comparisons. OneNote is structured almost exactly like what the OP is requesting. The OneNote "container" hierarchy from  low level to high level is PAGE > SECTION (ie Tab) > NOTEBOOK. (Yes, I realize there are further subdivisions possible within that structure, but I'm leaving them out here for simplicity's sake).

This same structure can be achieved within Evernote (as is) using the following hierarchy from low level to high level: NOTE > NOTEBOOK > STACK.

• Evernote NOTE can be equivalent to OneNote PAGE or Physical PAGE
  • Evernote NOTEBOOK can be equivalent to OneNote SECTION or Physical TAB
  • Evernote STACK can be equivalent to OneNote NOTEBOOK or Physical NOTEBOOK

This structure gives OP exactly what was requested - just have to think outside of the existing "container" naming scheme. And this structure is completely independent of Evernote's tagging features (which IMO is far superior to OneNote tagging).

just my 2 cents