Is there a direct link to create a new note on Evernote Web?

eugrus

Idea

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
27 minutes ago, eugrus said:

Is there a direct link to create a new empty note on Evernote Web and directly go to that new note?

Hi.  No.  With Evernote Web you log in,  click the "+" sign to create a new note and start typing...  Alternatively you could create a document in another app and copy/ paste that content into Evernote,  or attach the document file to an Evernote note.

• Level 5*
18 minutes ago, eugrus said:

In that case this thread should be moved to the feature suggestion section of the forum!

OK - can you explain a little more why exactly you need this feature?  It's normal to open an application before creating a new record.  

I am not OP... but I think a direct link to open Evernote Web starting with a new note would be excellent.  It is similar to the Evernote Helper (which really isn't that helpful).  While I mainly use the desktop app for Evernote, I live in my browser all day... I have bookmarks setup in Chrome to go to some of my specific notes on Evernote web, and if I know I want to start with a new note, it would be great to have a bookmark to eliminate the step of loading... then clicking +.  This seems imminently doable...  but if it is not possible, yes this should be moved to feature request

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
7 hours ago, aukirk said:

This seems imminently doable...  but if it is not possible, yes this should be moved to feature request

OK: Moved.

Whilst this may be possible I still don't see why it's necessary,  or that Evernote will wish to invest any time in re-engineering the web client to make this available.  This is a feature that cannot, by definition, apply to any other device than a browser,  but has to be viable in however many different browser 'flavours' there are at the moment: Firefox / Chrome / Opera etc.

If you have Evernote installed on your system it should be easy to set up a new note,  through Helper or (if it still works in EN10) clicking a blank template note on your desktop.  The only way I see this working from a browser is to add the possibility of adding a note to Clipper - which is a work-around for the time being anyway;  use the "add remark" section of Clipper for your narrative,  and edit the clip headline to your note subject.  It's possible to choose  the target notebook,  add tags and select a couple of words from the website you're on,  or just clip a small screenshot to trigger the save.

If this were a separate browser function it has to be vetted by Google and Mozilla and I can see it leading to a lot of lost notes - there's no guarantee that a random independent note can be saved to Evernote's server,  you need to authenticate with the server to get access to your account,  and what's to prevent anyone else with access to your device saving random notes to your account accidentally or otherwise through a browser extension...

TL:DR - As I understand it the request is to add a direct browser or desktop link to create a new note in your Evernote Web account. 

All those in favour - see top LEFT of this page!!

16 hours ago, gazumped said:

OK - can you explain a little more why exactly you need this feature?  It's normal to open an application before creating a new record.  

The answer appears very obvious: it takes extra time and action to first open https://www.evernote.com/client/web , then click on "New note" and only then start typing. I would very much prefer to have an option of having something like https://www.evernote.com/client/web/newnote in my bookmarks which would redirect me to a newly created note so that I could start typing immediately after loading the page.

5 hours ago, gazumped said:

but has to be viable in however many different browser 'flavours' there are at the moment: Firefox / Chrome / Opera etc

That's a non-issue: you don't wonder how the "New note" button does function in every browser, do you?

• Thanks 1