Evernote for Android retains and applies old tags in every note

Go to solution Solved by Dan Hotchkiss,

Sharing the same frustration.

I wss thinking that there was some obscure option/setting regarding the  tagging process when clipping new notes in Android.

I can understand the need for prepopulation of tags if one is doing a lot of repetitive capture, however, if there were settings/options regarding  tags applied to new notes I would expect the new notes to default with an empty tag list.

Removing or editing  the prepopulated tags whilst capturing/clipping a new note using Android (share to Evernote) requires one to search for each tag automatically applied, then unselect the unwanted tags one by one. This is made more impractical when creating a new note via clipping or sharing to EN as the retained tags are not visible in a consolidated list.  To amend, one has to either wait for the new note capture to complete, open the note and then remove unnecessary tags or remember which tags were last applied, search for each individual tag and then  unselect from the tag list. Even having the retained/previous notes tags grouped at the top of the tag selection list would make removal of tags not relevant/applicable to the new note being created much simpler, although would still be more tedious and inefficient than  new note capture defaulting to a blank slate when it comes to tags.

• Like 7
  • 1 month later...

I spend much more time saving items in Evernote than I do searching and recalling saved notes. So saving new notes has to be quick and slick.

However the new note tagging system is painful, to the point of being a deal breaker! I hope I'm just missing something? If so pray tell. 

When saving an item from android, The fact new notes are prepopulated with same tags used the previous time, I think is subjective and personally I do see the benefit. 

However, where this falls over for me is the method to remove the prepopulated tags if they don't apply this time around. You have to search for each one individually then select remove. Terrible! 

Why not have crosses next to selected tags for quick removal OR show the selected tags at the top of the list so it's EASY to deselect them individually. 

If this isn't an easy fix then please admit defeat on the prepopulating feature entirely.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Back to verson 8.13.2 until this android clipping is fixed. As above, in latest version, stale tags persist, clipping doesn't complete in the background and only finishes when returning to evernote; next time I clip the previous clip has saved but a new window is hanging there to be cancelled. Hard work. Looking at Onenote and Joplin though....

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/8/2021 at 10:07 AM, oneroy said:

Back to verson 8.13.2 until this android clipping is fixed. As above, in latest version, stale tags persist, clipping doesn't complete in the background and only finishes when returning to evernote; next time I clip the previous clip has saved but a new window is hanging there to be cancelled. Hard work. Looking at Onenote and Joplin though....

Tried again with 10, but still the same issues and more. Saving to a notebook doesn't offer all my notebooks but a handful of them  listed several times over. Tried to submit a support requset via the app and that froze the app!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2021 at 7:37 PM, JER13768 said:

The new version of Evernote on my Android phone retains tags applied to previous notes and applies them automatically to every subsequent note. It is necessary to open the new note and delete each inapplicable old tag every time a new note is created. This is time-consuming and extremely annoying! Please tell me how to make it stop!

I agree. Very frustrating. Hopefully a fix will be coming.

For now, instead of sharing clips and pages directly to EN,  I'll 'share' them via my EN email address. Later I'll open the resultant notes and add any new tags I want without the retained ones being captured.

Android app keeps applying old tags to new notes...good grief what a time waster having to fix that every time I try to use the Android app. Been going on for a couple months now. 

This is super ridiculous! Clearly they are not using their own app or this would have been fixed!

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Look @EverNote@EverNote, this isn't just some minor niggle. I rely on my tag system. It's why have a paid subscription to the service. And IT DOESN'T WORK on Android. At all. I can't create a new tag, and spend half the time searching for tags used in the previous note to replace them with desktop-created ones. Fix it or I'm cutting my losses and goimg elsewhere. 

• Like 1
Guest Lawrence

Agreed the update of the Android app is broken, default tags with no ability to change the makes saving a note now a 2 to 4 step process

OK found out from Evernote  support how to cancel the default tag for Android

Click on the tag button , locate the tag using the "find tag" button, once located "uncheck" it,

The default now becomes nothing

• Thanks 1
15 hours ago, poopall said:

OK found out from Evernote  support how to cancel the default tag for Android

Click on the tag button , locate the tag using the "find tag" button, once located "uncheck" it,

The default now becomes nothing

But the next time you tag a clip the default will become the tag/s you applied, so next time you clip you have to search for those tags again and uncheck each one to clear them for your new clip...which is fine if you're clipping loads of stuff for the exact same project, but a pain otherwise

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JER13768 said:

Is that possible only in Premium? I don't see any way in Plus to permanently "uncheck" each tag so that it doesn't automatically get applied to new notes.

I can't answer that because I have premium but can only assume that the same would apply for all versions else it would seem illogical, remember to do a search for the tag in question and then uncheck it.

That's strange,

There does not appear to be an app in the Playstore for Premium and another for  Non Premium,

To have functionality driven by user account type appears odd,

I cannot see why Evernote would have  done this for different users , my wife has non premium and I will check with her's later today.

So are you saying when you downloaded the new version, and selected a tag you are stuck with it for ever .. 

Thanks

• Level 5

All client software is the same, the difference between Basic an the paid accounts is made on the server side.

For a Mac there may be a difference whether the same software is installed by direct download or from the AppStore. This results from sandboxing, not from a different code.

I'm having this issue on EN 10.10 on Galaxy S10+  Android version 11I

I have to remove tags from EVERY clip.

In addition to this it asks me to save the last clip that I already saved whenever I open it.

Also, the curser backs up one letter when I swipe using gboard or Samsung keyboard.   

This is making this app useless for me.

Screenshot_20210605-111513_Evernote.jpg

Sorry I can't see what your problem is, in the note that you are saving no tags have been selected, and I assume you are wanting to save the note to Art Projects. If this is not where you want to save this to then select using find another notebook, PS this will then become the default for the next clip saved.

I think he already saved this clip, now when trying to open Evernote or clip again the dialogue box is still there with the previous clip.. At least that happens to me. Other times when clipping there's no dialogue opened just the Evernote home screen, I have to go back to source and share it again. Scrolling down the list of notebooks shows multiple entries of each note book. Scroll too quickly through the tag list and it goes blank. Raise tickets with support, but remember to go portrait mode to email logs else nothing happens. I've cancelled sub, gone back to 8.13,three months till sub runs out. See if anything changes

Yes Oneroy. This is exactly what is happening to me including multiples of each notebook.

The curser moving back one letter on each word is what really makes the app unusable for me

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution

I was able to work around this, and will offer my own explanation of how to do it in case others have difficulty following the instructions already given, as I did. I'm using Evernote for Android 10.11 (1114563) with a Premium account.

Problem: When I shared something to Evernote, the new item was always assigned an annoying tag left over from a prior share. Here's the workaround:

• Share something to Evernote from your Android browser.
  • At the bottom of the dialog that pops up, you'll see your annoying tag listed. Click it to get a full list of tags.
  • Search for the annoying tag, which will  have a green check mark next to it.
  • Carefully tap the green check mark to unselect it.
  • Click Save to complete the share.

From then on, your default share will be set to No Tag.

Note that if you ever tag an item again in the share dialog, your choice will be sticky (aka annoying) until you repeat the steps above. There does not seem to be a way to create a real default tag for sharing--it always repeats prior selections. I work around this by never choosing a tag in the share dialog. I always share to a Notebook called _Inbox and assign tags in the Evernote app before moving items to the Notebook where they belong. You could do something similar by searching on "No Tag" to ensure that each item has only one tag.

That said, this is a bug and needs to be fixed.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5
On 7/11/2021 at 12:04 PM, albertocv said:

Why does this take so long?

Maybe because only a small part of users are giving their share to pay developers, servers and the other stuff all users are expecting to work.

But of course the value of one cup of „to go“ per month is such an excessive price …

I would understand a bug taking a bit longer, but this is cruical funcionality of the mobile app being broken. 

With help of you guys, this is how I 'fixed' it to work for me (note: Android user):

1. I downloaded the Evernote apk verson 8.13.2  
  2. Next thing: I turned off auto update, but still... not very convenient. So I 'signed' the apk file with this app (Apk signer).
  3. This way Google Play store is not showing the Evernote app anymore... and is not updating it. But the app is installed and I am using it without a problem. 

On the other hand: I am quite worried about Evernote in last 6 months. The desktop application keeps clogging my Windows 10 with abnormaly high RAM and CPU usage. Reinstall did not help, and I have seen I am not the only person with this issue.

Being a long time user and fan of Evernote, I realy keep my fingers crossed for this things to be fixed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
16 hours ago, jerry99 said:

I would understand a bug taking a bit longer, but this is cruical funcionality of the mobile app being broken. 

With help of you guys, this is how I 'fixed' it to work for me (note: Android user):

1. I downloaded the Evernote apk verson 8.13.2  
  2. Next thing: I turned off auto update, but still... not very convenient. So I 'signed' the apk file with this app (Apk signer).
  3. This way Google Play store is not showing the Evernote app anymore... and is not updating it. But the app is installed and I am using it without a problem. 

On the other hand: I am quite worried about Evernote in last 6 months. The desktop application keeps clogging my Windows 10 with abnormaly high RAM and CPU usage. Reinstall did not help, and I have seen I am not the only person with this issue.

Being a long time user and fan of Evernote, I realy keep my fingers crossed for this things to be fixed. 

Same here. I have about ten years of notes and bookmarks on Evernote and rely on it daily. But combined with the broken Android sharing (I agree, it's broken, not 'bugged') memory leaks definitely isn't a good sign. 

It is not tolerable to continue paying for an unusable app due to numerous bugs that have not been fixed for 6 months.  Evernote must compensate paying users with free renewal.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So still no solution. It just drives me nuts to have to deal with old tags each time I want to snip something, to the point that I rarely use the feature on the mobile. I like sharing articles and useful info to my Evernote notebooks, but it's not quick if I have to undo tag.

I also can't seem to add new tags (i.e. completely new ones); just use existing ones.

I could use the workaround someone posted here, but then that leaves me with a jumbled notebook of random, essentially untagged, clippings. I often don't look back at my clippings until I need to use them (and then I can find them by their tags).

I don't think I'll renew my premium membership. I'm really only using it on one device now -- the mobile is pretty much out of the equation.

4 hours ago, 2ofthree said:

So still no solution. It just drives me nuts to have to deal with old tags each time I want to snip something, to the point that I rarely use the feature on the mobile. I like sharing articles and useful info to my Evernote notebooks, but it's not quick if I have to undo tag.

I also can't seem to add new tags (i.e. completely new ones); just use existing ones.

I could use the workaround someone posted here, but then that leaves me with a jumbled notebook of random, essentially untagged, clippings. I often don't look back at my clippings until I need to use them (and then I can find them by their tags).

I don't think I'll renew my premium membership. I'm really only using it on one device now -- the mobile is pretty much out of the equation.

Exactly, the best we can hope for is "good luck". We really deserve better than this as power users.

12 hours ago, poopall said:

I suggest you read the entire posts the solution is there, if you change the tagged and notebook and then save then that will become the default for the next one

This isn't a solution, it's a workaround. And in practice, the workaround IS the problem, because the only alternative is to save untagged notes.

I average three or four tags per post across three or more notebooks. That means I have to search for the tag (which yields multiple results), close the on-screen keyboard, untick the tag, and repeat this for every tag, after every post. To add new tag it's the same process - search, close keyboard, select tag (and, by the way, you can't create any new tags) - repeat for every tag. 

Just being able to set an empty default would already save me about six keypresses, which would be a whole lot better than walking back on every step for every note. Maybe the original idea was to save time for frequently used tags. It doesn't.

• Like 3
On 8/20/2021 at 5:31 PM, Dan Hotchkiss said:

I agree that the workaround is not a fix. It does make it possible to set a default of no tag, however. The default persists till you next set a tag from the share dialog. 

The default is never "no tag" - it's always "last used".

Imagine notepad always opened up in the last document you worked on, and you had search and replace every word before you could start a blank document. In an application where you want to add text/tags, forcing you to actively maintain a blank document isn't a feature; it's a bug. 

• Like 3

So far as I can see, we agree that this bug is a egregious oversight on Evernote's part. We do seem to have some differences regarding how the bug should be described. I prefer not to participate in that discussion further, lest anyone should confuse our differences about language with lack of solidarity about substance. 

• Thanks 1
13 hours ago, Dan Hotchkiss said:

So far as I can see, we agree that this bug is a egregious oversight on Evernote's part. We do seem to have some differences regarding how the bug should be described. I prefer not to participate in that discussion further, lest anyone should confuse our differences about language with lack of solidarity about substance. 

Except that your workaround is now marked as a solution, and the problem raised by this thread is regarded as 'solved'. Hopefully not by the Evernote developers.

Some real solutions would be:

1. A "clear all tags" option
  2. The ability to set master default tags (preferably by notebook)
  3. Intuitively ticking/unticking displayed tags without having to search for them first

Bonus feature: the option to create a tag if one doesn't exist.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/8/2021 at 3:30 PM, SaidAkh said:

Is there a way to add a new tag during saving a new clip?

Nope. The tagging system on Android is next to useless at the moment. You have to save empty notes and fix them with the desktop client.

Use evernote 8.13.3 on android phone, new version is unusable for clipping and some other things. I am quite happy with windows and web apps, but android is NBG. Cancelled sub, wait and see for couple more months, then head out to Joplin or somewhere like that, perhaps....

On 7/18/2021 at 8:29 AM, PinkElephant said:

You can install a legacy version for Android via apk (Link can be found in the forum, or from support).

Else think about whether to renew your subscription. 

So that others don't have to search, this link seems to be what PinkElephant is referring to -- but PinkElephant please correct me if this is not what you meant. (I haven't tried it yet.)

• 2 weeks later...

I've been paying for evernote since 2011. I shouldn't have to use the legacy version because I've lost basic functionality. It worked fine before the latest upgrade, but now most of my notes are left incorrectly tagged unless I go back and check over them when I'm on my laptop. Which is just really not okay. 

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...
  • Level 5

Regarding any bug we all hope it gets fixed.

If it applies to Android legacy, it is end of life however, so no more bug fixes.

But I think we all hope that nobody needs legacy any longer, given a stable, fast and feature rich v10 is made available (one day …).

• 2 months later...

It's 12th Jan 2022 and the Android 10 tagging bug is still not fixed.
Dear Evernote, please fix it. Also: When I'm trying to remove the incorrect tags, the list shows duplicates in the list - just to make it even more annoying to use.
Why is it taking a year to fix this? Surely this is basic functionality?
Please don't drive us away to use Notion.

• Like 1
On 1/13/2022 at 8:56 AM, ehrt74 said:

@ctsr

Could you open a bug report about this issue? This is a user forum and nobody here can fix anything 😕 

Hi ehrt74 and JohannesR,
I have sent in a bug report

My redacted request (I'm not attaching screengrabs and have changed some words) for support is:

"Hi xxx,
thanks for replying. I attach 6 screengrabs and a description of my issues - I hope you can show me a fix.

The solution I would like:
a) I want to clip a web page once, without having to exit evernote
b) Can I switch off the prepopulation of tags and folder, when I'm clipping webpages into evernote android app?

All steps below refer to the latest version of the Evernote 10 app.

Here's what happens when I try and clip a webpage into Evernote 10, Android:

1 Screengrab 
Let's clip a website.
I go to:
https://www 
and go to Share in the android menu - then click on the evernote icon.
Attached screengrab 1 shows you what happens.
It does not clip https://www , instead evernote displays a clip of another page - nothing to do with  https://www 
And displays lots of irrelevant prepopulated tags.

2 Screengrab 
So I start again, I exit out of evernote
and follow the steps in step 1 again,
this time, https://www  does display in evernote.
But:
the prepopulated folder is irrelevant: xxxxx
And the 
prepopulated tags are irrelevant
- for example it show the "xxxxx123" tag - nothing to do with https://www 

3 Screengrab 
So I then click on the tags arrow and try and remove the prepopulated tags
Screengrab 3 shows what happens - I have to SEARCH to remove the prepopulated tags

4 and 5 Screengrab
Screengrabs 4 and 5 shows you what happens when I search for the
"xxxxx123" tag
- Evernote displays multiple
"xxxxx123" tags - 11 (eleven) in total.
BUT: I have only 1 (one)  "xxxxx123" tag - why is it showing 11 duplicate tags?
I have to scroll through them and click on the blue ticks to remove the tag
BUT: Only some of the blue ticks remove the tag, if I press on some of the 11 blue ticks, they do not remove the tag!

6 Screengrab 
Screengrab 6 shows you what happens after I have managed to remove the "xxxxx123" tag - 
I now have to repeat the tag removal task multiple times, to go through all of the irrelevant tags and remove them - 
this could take 10 minutes? More?  

This seems like a big waste of time? A bug? A poor design?
It makes the Android app difficult to use.

Many thanks xxx - I'm a big fan of evernote -
I hope you can show me a solution to my clipping issue"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

That is quite bizarre. I save things to my Android all the time and have never seen anything like that. Typically it populates with the last tag I used and I just have to click it off or change it before I save. My only issue right now is scanning Business Cards.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to say, the tagging bug I mention here has been fixed (at least for now).
Evernote support gave me this solution:

"On the backend I noticed the way we package your notes for syncing and sharing hadn't updated in a while. Typically this updates automatically but sometimes it can get hung up. I have went ahead and updated this manually for you. In order for this to fully take effect, I am going to recommend you do the following:

1. Log out of Evernote on all of your devices, including the web version, if you are still logged in there.
  2. Reinstall the application according the following steps.
  3. Log back into your Evernote account.

Before reinstalling Evernote for Android, make sure to copy the contents of any unsynced notes somewhere outside of the Evernote app. Any unsynced notes (notes marked by red corners) and photos are deleted when you reinstall the app. To save any unsynced photos to your Gallery, tap the options menu (three dots) and select Save to Downloads.

Then follow these steps:

1. Open the Play Store.
  2. Search for Evernote, choose it, then tap Uninstall.
  3. Restart your Android device.
  4. Download Evernote from the Play Store."

And I also revoked access to evernote for my old devices.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1