Checklist vs Checkbox Workarounds?

42 minutes ago, N Allen said:

Probably the best solution would be to have an option on the checklist to turn off the strikethrough.

Agreed

43 minutes ago, N Allen said:

I like to use bulleted lists with various indent levels and add checkboxes to those

Not tried that before but when I tried the "space before" hack it looked OK but when I came back to it not only had it converted the checkboxes to a checklist but the bullets had disappeared as well. The same thing happens if you don't bother with the bullet points but just indent with a tab then add space[].

Tables don't destroy the checkboxes but that is long way from what you are wanting.

I should add that while turning off the strikethrough would be nice, it would still leave me frustrated. I often use bulleted lists with an occasional checkbox. Currently the whole thing will get converted to a checklist.

19 minutes ago, John Canning said:

I've found that if I have one item in my list that does not have a checkbox, then the list does not get turned in to a checklist.

Interesting!

When entering items using the [] shortcut, having a previous item or items without a checkbox does not prevent the conversion of the entire list to a checklist, but I agree that it does prevent the autoconversion on reopening.

• 1 month later...

FYI, based on Forum feedback here I added a space before each checkbox on my shopping lists. Seemed to work when I was in the note, but when I returned later to the same note, all of the leading spaces were stripped out and the automatic checklist issue had returned. I found that adding a dash before each checkbox did the job, and looks pretty OK.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

On 1/26/2021 at 3:19 PM, N Allen said:

I am frustrated by Evernote's agressive conversion of checkboxes to checklists. There are plenty of case where checking checkbox does not imply 'done' and does not warrant crossing the item off the list. It's a nice feature for one use case, but it is pretty annoying for all the other use cases. Even when making a checklist (say for a work procedure), I find the strikethrough redundant and unhelpful. The checklist serves as a record of operations, and I actually want to be able to read it even after the boxes are checked. I might very well wish to edit it for the next time I perform that procedure, and the strikethrough interferes.

Probably the best solution would be to have an option on the checklist to turn off the strikethrough.

In the meantime, I have seen that some people have found some workarounds that prevent their checkboxes from being turned into checklists. I like to use bulleted lists with various indent levels and add checkboxes to those. Putting a space before the checkbox was offered as a workaround that prevented the instant conversion of the whole list to a checklist, and that still works, but the next time I open Evernote, even those are converted to checklists.

Does anyone have a workaround that will stick?

Agree! Ticking the box when an item is complete is enough for me - I don't see the need to strike the text through too.

I'd like the option to choose to use Checkboxes only if possible - maybe change the tickbox button in the toolbar to one with a drop down where you choose which one you want - and then remember that - or just have a global setting. We shouldn't have to resort to workarounds of square brackets, with leading spaces - that's absurd.

But there is still a bug here. If I do choose to add a Checkbox as I'd prefer to use those - then when I hit enter, it changes it back to a checklist. Why - when I've specifically pressed a button to get a Checkbox, would you think that I'd like it auto-changing back to a checklist? Ideally I'd like it to act like a bulleted list - ie. it creates a new line with a new checkbox - but I want it to stay as checkboxes - so the text doesn't get struck through.

I agree this is super frustrating! I have a few very long checklists of books I am reading for a project and I want to be able to see the names of the books I have read afterwards, not have them stuck through. The strikethrough is totally redundant anyway from a human factors point of view. And there should be an option to mass convert something back from a checklist to a row of check boxes. Bad design! 

• Like 3
7 hours ago, dantek said:

But there is still a bug here. If I do choose to add a Checkbox as I'd prefer to use those - then when I hit enter, it changes it back to a checklist.

I don't think EN would class this as a bug. They have decided that any line that starts with a checklist/checkbox will be a checklist. They have no objection to you using a checkbox provided it is not at the beginning of a line. I actually like checklists but when I need a checkbox at the beginning of a line I just add another character (e.g. - or .) first and also make use of the <open square bracket> <close square bracket> shortcut.

To be fair this - https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005597-Create-a-checklist - does show it auto turning into a checklist so not a bug....they did this *intentionally* 🙃....  But it's just wrong in my opinion. I still don't see the need to cross things out when you've already ticked the box and you can cross things out manually if you want. But to say they are keeping Checkboxes for people who don't like checklists....but then automatically change them back to checklists after I've intentionally gone to the hassle of creating a checkbox makes no sense. Please let us have a setting to choose whether we want checklists to cross out automatically or not so I can turn it off. And then keep checkboxes for when you want to use them at the end of a line etc - but don't auto-change them to a checklist.

• Like 3
  • Level 5

Personally I like checkboxes as a formatting feature in templates, and the checklists for list-style sequences of items.

Each one has ist own use cases, so I am fine with having both options. We should not mix up one with the other.

Maybe EN should just stop to auto-convert checkboxes in checklists, and let the users decide when to use which.

• Like 4
  • 3 months later...

If they are going to auto convert check boxes to check list, then why even give the option to create check boxes in the first place.  I agree that I prefer Check Boxes and hate the check list.  I do not want my items stiken out.    I have been a hold back using the Legacy version until just a few weeks ago due to other thinks that EN had "broken" for me.  There are so many thinks I would like changed, but for the 6 years I have been using EN, I do not expect to get the functionality I would like and have to constantly looks for workarounds.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, RI2438 said:

If they are going to auto convert check boxes to check list, then why even give the option to create check boxes in the first place.

Evernote only converts check boxes which are the at the beginning of a line. I wish they wouldn't but it doesn't look like it is going to change. The work around is therefore to just put another character first (e.g a period or even a space or two) if you want a checkbox at the beginning of the line.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

I create lists with check boxes by first typing the whole list then highlight the list and go to the blue + button and choose checkbox. The whole list will then start with check boxes.  But you can still expect the boxes to be converted to a list if you make an edit to the list so the extra space at the start of the line prevents that.

I use AutoHotkey on my PC so have a shortcut set  up which will add

<space>[]<space> 

with one keystroke.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

@RI2438 A checkbox is there for exactly this - embed a single box into a line of text, or maybe some.

4C32C313-4352-4ADC-932F-614419D304A1.thumb.jpeg.5f4db11b268ceaa1a66fe7f2ad3f041c.jpeg

This is the use checkboxes have since v10.

The checklist feature is there to build check-lists. They have some nice aspects, like (on desktop) if you hover with the mouse over a line. 4 dots will show at the beginning: It is a handle to pull the whole line into another position.Makes sorting easier.

In general I advise against trying to trick the system. Be happy there is now support for 2 different use cases. Apply them, instead of wasting energy in sticking with „the old way“.

See, now you have 3 answers - you can choose what you like best.

Glad to know that I'm not the only person who hates the automatic check list thing. I frequently refer to my past lists (work assignments and notes) and cannot stand strikethrough.

My work around is to create a table and put check boxes in a second column.  It works adequately, but is not as streamlined as it used to be. 

I agree with others that we should have the option to disable the automatic conversion of lists using checkboxes to check lists.  Beyond frustrating!

• Like 1

I agree about this being an issue. Evernote "fixing" something that does not need fixing. The Checkbox is relegated to a drop down whilst the Checklist is promoted to prominence. I use the Checkbox, for example when shopping - it serves as a visual reminder of needed items that will be needed again. I don't need/want strikeouts.

The WORST of it is that is you hit the enter key in the middle of a Checkbox list, ALL the list immediately converts to a Checklist. And there is no undo option. That shjould be optional and it appears that EN wants to think for us again...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, lhim said:

The WORST of it is that is you hit the enter key in the middle of a Checkbox list, ALL the list immediately converts to a Checklist. And there is no undo option.

ctrl-Z reverses it for me.

I personally like the check list most of the time but when I need a checkbox at the beginning of a line, e.g. in a shopping list, I just use 

.[]

• 1 month later...

To create a list with green check boxes create a list with no boxes, hold the mouse down and highlight the list. It will turn blue. Click on the blue button at the top and choose Check boxes. Your list will now have green check boxes beside each item. To add an item in the middle of the list highlight the list in blue again and add your item and it will keep the green check box instead of a checklist.

• Like 1

For many years I use Checkboxes for shopping list in Evernote. It always worked fine for me. However Evernote added the Check-list feature and since then I get frustrated because every time I change (accidently)  something to this list, using my iPhone or iPad, Evernote converts (partly) Checkboxes to Check-lists.

Furthermore it seems that on IOS checklists are the standard, while using the website version on WIndows the good old Checkbox are standard?!?

I think it's highly annoying that Evernote is not consistent in the usage of Checkboxes and Check-lists and even want's to convert existing lists when you make a typing mistake (while shopping) .

In the old day's Evernote was a simple program for simple problems, Evernote is getting to complex and therefore becoming more and more annoying for simple tasks. 

That's why I didn't use the offer to upgrade to the Personal membership!

When I need a complex platform I use the Microsoft Office platform, Evernote should be simple and work seamless across platforms (Windows - IOS).

• Like 1
On 11/12/2021 at 12:58 PM, tinwheeler said:

To create a list with green check boxes create a list with no boxes, hold the mouse down and highlight the list. It will turn blue. Click on the blue button at the top and choose Check boxes. Your list will now have green check boxes beside each item. To add an item in the middle of the list highlight the list in blue again and add your item and it will keep the green check box instead of a checklist.

It does seem somewhat more stable than before. Adding a new element does not immediately revert to checklist, but it doesn't create another checkbox for your either. If you enter the checkbox shortcut ('[]'), it adds a column of checklist buttons in front of your checkboxes (though you can back that out with undo).

I'll count that as a marginal improvement.

On 9/13/2021 at 2:10 PM, Mike P said:

ctrl-Z reverses it for me.

I personally like the check list most of the time but when I need a checkbox at the beginning of a line, e.g. in a shopping list, I just use 

.[]

ctrl-Z is no option when using an iPhone in a shop. It’s very annoying behavior.

1 hour ago, ReneV1971 said:

ctrl-Z is no option when using an iPhone in a shop. It’s very annoying behavior.

This is the Windows forum. I rarely have to use ctrl-Z because I use the workaround of having a character before the checkbox.

• Level 5

Personally I don’t think working against a software design is a good idea. Not short term, because it creates a permanent stress while using. And for sure not long term because all efforts can be undone by a „next“ change.

Besides, especially for longer lists the checklist has nice features, like the handle that moves the whole line without a need to select it first. Makes sorting lists easier. I just have found no way so far to make it work on the iPhone.

8 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Personally I don’t think working against a software design is a good idea. Not short term, because it creates a permanent stress while using. And for sure not long term because all efforts can be undone by a „next“ change.

Besides, especially for longer lists the checklist has nice features, like the handle that moves the whole line without a need to select it first. Makes sorting lists easier. I just have found no way so far to make it work on the iPhone.

I use checklists 95% of the time because I also like the ability to move items around and cross things out when they are done. For me they are much better than the old system when I want to cross things off a list. However, they do not work well when you want to cross things on to a list. A shopping list composed of all the things you might need to buy being a prime example. I suppose that if there was a way of ticking every item in a checklist automatically you could then untick the items you wanted although this would be counterintuitive and would require you to read faint crossed out text!

• Level 5

For shopping lists we use another app - one that supports features like quantities and sorting items by categories. My wife and I share it. It syncs very fast (nice if you are in a hurry and split up to roam a larger store) and uses very little data.

When you open EN, it will sync a lot more than just the shopping list, and it may take longer, especially on shared notes.