Add Note to Home Screen

Barry Graham

Idea

37 replies to this idea

A very inadequate workaround for those whose Evernote shortcuts have suddenly stopped working :

Copy the note's internal link

Paste into your web browser 

Use the browser to create a home screen shortcut

If the Evernote app is set to open Evernote links by default, it's maybe 1/4 as convenient as home screen shortcuts used to be. 

As I say, inadequate! 

Dan Hotchkiss

The workaround using the internal link is inconsistent on my android  phone.   It sometimes opens the android app, but it sometimes opens the note in the browser. 

I'm not sure why the Evernote developers are removing features that increase productivity.   I won't be renewing my paid subscription until this feature gets restored. 

OMG I can't believe they took this away.  PLEASE RETURN THIS FEATURE ASAP.  Navigating to my desired note(s) has always involved too many touches and too much time.  This feature was the best, easiest workaround......by having a folder(s) on the home screen with specific note shortcuts inside, made opening specific notes quick and easy.  WHY Evernote WHY ?????

It's as though you try to punish your users.

This is ridiculous. The ability to have notes directly accessible from my home screen was a big part of my decision to subscribe.

I will not be renewing my subscription unless this feature has been returned before my renewal date.

Thank you all for following and commenting this post, and thanks EN for hearing. Evernote annouced yesterday that the new release 10.6 for iOS and Android version is already being rolled out, with the  Simple note widget and "Add to home screen"  widgets back (besides incorporating mobile Table editing). 

• Thanks 2
  • Level 5

Current release version is 10.6 for the mobile clients. 

Android is known for a relatively slow rollout of new versions, and it seems to depend a lot on the device and the update status in general. On iOS you get it, at once, or you can’t update, because not running at least iOS 13.3.

Yes, that is correct, this post is only relevant for the mobile clients. Is there there a phased rollout of the update? I have no trouble updating all my other installed apps on my Android phone, but even after deleting cache and storage for Google Play, I still don't get offered the chance to upgrade to 10.6.  I know I could probably uninstall and reinstall Evernote but I am trying not to do that because I want to see if the old shortcuts will start working again after I do the upgrade.  If I uninstall, they will probably disappear.

• Level 5

I am only using iOS devices. There the situation is simple, as described above. We have several devices in the family, and all get the update at roughly the same time. Be it an old iPhone 6S+ or an iPhone 11 Pro Max, they update side by side - just the Performance on the old phone is notably slower.

With Android from what was reported in the forum I could not see a general strategy. A common limit is being on Android 10 or above. But even when this was the case, some could update, other could not. There were top brand phones like Samsung’s with issues, and no names that seems to get updates without any problem.

Probably it has to do with the underlying framework, into which EN is embedded, whether it can easily run on a given device or not. To me this looks more like a gamble. Draw your card and wait until it is called.

3 hours ago, Barry Graham said:

This is very nice but I am still stuck on 10.5.1 with no update available for me in Google Play.  When will this update be generally available?

The complete deployment will take about one month; by mid-April should be complete according to the info I got from EN

• Thanks 1