State of Evernote

Everytime I check reddit, the only thing I see is people complaining about EN. What do you guys think, is EN getting better or worse? On reddit almost everybody says that V10 is terrible, but I do not have any problems with that. And if v10 really that bad, do you guys think that it'll get fixed quickly?

• Like 1

How do you not have any problems with v10? It's not running slow on your computer, search is working, you didn't need to edit encrypted text before, etc.? What do you use EN for if nothing got broken for you?

the only thing I do miss is a real tag filter (currently it‘s just a list of all known tags) to drill down the notes list by tags in use. Setting the GPS location in notes details on Mac is missing, too.

On my 3 - 5 years old Macs it runs pretty good (= fast) since recently updates; on iOS you need, indeed, a fast device.

I don‘t use any encryption on EN - those data is stored on a different tool.

Legacy version has been retired here 🙂

from anecdotal evidence here on the forums performance of V10 might be correlated with the number of notes in your account. with my 14k notes performance of V10 used to be abysmal (have migrated away from EN since)...

20 hours ago, mooc0w said:

How do you not have any problems with v10? It's not running slow on your computer, search is working, you didn't need to edit encrypted text before, etc.? What do you use EN for if nothing got broken for you?

I consider myself a heavy user of Evernote (14k+ notes and constant use throughout the day)... although maybe not a "power" user, since I don't rely on things like Apple Script, encrypting text or use tags at all.  My organizational method is purely notebooks and note titles, attaching multiple files and using the note body for checklist/checkbox to keep track of progress on projects.  While there is some sluggishness, I have not really had any issues with impacting my Macbook Air 2018 version (or new M1 Mac Mini).

While there are still some things Evernote v10 needs to address, I find it works great and the enhancements with the editor (checkbox vs. checklist; highlighter colors; headline styles with markup) and keyboard shortcuts to quickly navigate to the first 10 favorites far outweigh any speed improvements with prior versions of Evernote.  My biggest complaints are:

* Inability to sort search results or saved searches by Reminder field (or any field over than Title, Created, Updated)
* Difficulty quickly navigating to a different notebook (can't understand why they removed the dropdown at the top of the note list)
* Make it easier to clear the current search and quickly start a new search

I am excited for the future and remain hopeful that a few future enhancements I really hope are coming soon with the common editor code, will make Evernote an even better product:

* Collapsable lists or areas of text
* Quicker way to create links inside notes to other notes (i.e. without going to the other note and copying the link, hoping they allow use of some sort of keyboard shortcut to search for the note you want to link to)
* Display backlinks to any other notes that link to the current note you are on... even if this is only available in the Note Info... that would make Evernote connections easier to update

v10 has been ok for me. I'm by no means a power user running Applescripts etc, but it's been really good. I do miss some functions like Apple Watch integration, but I'm more than happy to do without them whilst they rewrote everything on a more stable and futureproof platform. The new platform will allow the Evernote devs to innovate once again.

Short term pain for long term gain.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

The reddit sub is pretty pathetic. Half the people seem to be hawking their own app and the other half love having a whine but don't do anything about it.

If the app works well for you, I wouldn't worry about what a bunch of strangers from the internet have to say.

• Like 3
  • Level 5

The combination of being a Premium User and having to stick with legacy is lost on me.

I would rather understand if you would see access to legacy as a prime feature for paid accounts (which it is not). At least I decided to stick with legacy until v10 has sufficiently matured. Currently it is too much work in progress, not only on spell checking.

I don't get your point. I paid money, still I lost an important tool of my daily life, as I write daily in 3 languages, as another 10 million people this part of EU. I had to go through hoops to get old version working. I expect it to stop working any time. I wasted good 7-8 hours checking out alternatives and trying to export all my 10000+ notes to Notion and OneNote (the latter one actually worked ok). Frustration is massive.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

You paid the same money before v10 was released.

Why do you regard access to this „advanced beta“ as THE feature you are paying for ?

Personally I pay for a software and server operation that supports my workflows. Legacy does, v10 as of today doesn’t. So I am no better or worse off than a year ago when what is called legacy today was the actual client then. As I run it now, it IS still my actual client.

For piece of mind it is IMHO easier to view v10 as an experiment; to play with or to ignore. If they decide to use part of what I pay to further develop v10, fine with me. You can be worse off - some years ago they decided to spend it on socks ...

@PinkElephant Once switched to V10, and use the new version for weeks/months, it is difficult to switch back to legacy product (for me: windows and android). The switch back will result in issues with notes, tags, notebooks etc...

Also V10 is the current version of Evernote, it is not a Beta product. When new users download the application, V10 is the standard version. So V10 is the official version, but is not of the Evernote quality we expected. 

This is my take on the matter:  I really don't understand the approach of the note-taking leader Evernote. It is really a disrespect to it's users and community when you think it was a good idea to release this piece of software. And when they did and get massive complaints, even support couldn't handle the complaints in time, there was no communication what so ever. None, only how great the product is was communicated in blog / vlogs... but it isn't.... this version is a shame and not Evernote worthy.

I really hope that Evernote re-prioritize it's efforts in this product, the product maybe half/quarter of what is could be. But even the current features in V10 aren't bug free. Advice: start with real customer communication. Do a end-user survey, get user information... not (beta) testers or power users only, but real every day end-users...

Last: start communicating with the customers, some left already... some hesitate and some will stay no matter what. 
I've switched to other application, not perfect but it will do... it works in my workflow and doesn't frustrate like V10 does.
Don't think I'll switch back due to the disrespect too me as a (paying) customer by releasing a defective product (not even alpha). If this was the first release from a start-up, the whole start-up was finished before it started.

It is because of the millions of Evernote user they are the still in business, but for how long???

• Like 4
On 1/26/2021 at 4:08 AM, Thanoskid said:

What do you guys think, is EN getting better or worse?

It really depends on how you look at it and what is important to you.

Right now, V10 looks like a modern app, all the platforms look and function the same, updates are coming faster along with new features. So on surface these are all good indicators.

However, to me and to bunch of others here, the fundamental feature of the note taking app (which is note taking) has been compromised. The new app is super slow and hogs a lot of resources. I still cannot type without a delay and when I tag something, it is even slower. Notes load slower, when I insert a simple screenshot, it takes longer. Overall usability has been decreased for me.

For some users, that might be ok and the new features might be worth the slow down. To me, there is a reason I use the desktop app vs the web app or an iOS app. I want it to take advantage of a computer, be faster, have keyboard shortcuts etc. Thus, the electron based app now is a step down for me and I hope I am wrong and it will get as fast as the V6.25.

Time will tell.

• Like 2
On 2/1/2021 at 10:26 AM, Metrodon said:

The reddit sub is pretty pathetic. Half the people seem to be hawking their own app and the other half love having a whine but don't do anything about it.

If the app works well for you, I wouldn't worry about what a bunch of strangers from the internet have to say.

You summed up the Evernote subreddit perfectly.