Import Folders

joness

Idea

I note that Import Folders are on the list of coming soon. When this is up and running, I will be able to give version 10 a serious try.

The two things I want from a filing system is easy to save and easy to find. To me these are the two core functions that evernote has done better than any other tool I have tried. The great search engine combined with Folders and tags looks after the easy to find bit - but I am still bewildered why they would release a upgraded product that made it more difficult to create notes?

To get things into evernote I use email, web clipper and import folder extensively. My scanner goes directly to my import folder. Sometimes I even create a note in evernote itself!!!

Looking forward to having a functional version 10 to try.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 replies to this idea

• Evernote Expert

Import folders is probably the main missing feature for my workflow.  I have v10 and the legacy version both running on my PC.  I increasingly use v10 but with the legacy running I still have the import folder stuff as well. Overall this gives me a working route to trying v10 as it develops and retaining the functions I need.

YMMV - I am conscious that I don't use all the features that others find to be essential.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Evernote Expert
1 minute ago, PinkElephant said:

Hope they do the job for all clients. There are other ways on a Mac, but I had import folders on my Windows installation, nice feature. Would be good if v10 clients get this feature cross platform.

Of course we don't have inside knowledge but the Import Folders was always a Windows only option. I'm hopeful that the reason for the delay is returning it to the desktop is that the developers are seeking a solution that runs on Mac and Windows to stick with the declared aim of providing the same user experience across similar applications.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, agsteele said:

Import Folders was always a Windows only option

I've always used an import folder on my Mac for the Evernote Legacy product
It uses the native OS Folder Actions feature, triggering an Applescript

• Like 3
  • Evernote Expert
On 1/25/2021 at 11:24 AM, DTLow said:

I've always used an import folder on my Mac for the Evernote Legacy product
It uses the native OS Folder Actions feature, triggering an Applescript

I should have said 'native Windows only feature'. I've actually been able to create import folders in EN v10 using external features as described in other threads by @Mike P but I guess what many folk want is somethingembedded inside Evernote ;)

I absolutely need import folders. This was my workflow for the last 10 years. As a paying user, this is a killer criteria. I was shocked when upgraded and didn't find anymore this feature. And if this is not returning, I understand that EN is not evermore what it was intended for: to collect stuff.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
7 minutes ago, jwhiite518 said:

And why did it go away in the first place? I've never heard of a major update that removes functionality. What the heck were they thinking?

I merged your post with an ongoing discussion of this feature   
We know the Version 10 product is a work-in-progress and were told we should use the Legacy Product if the missing features are important to our workflow

• Like 1