when merged, v6-created notes with pictures and screenshots after merging lose content

noticed right now that Evernote Windows client, when merging notes containing old, v6 created print screens and/or pictures, the merge operation deletes some of them screenshots/pictures

right now, tried that with newly created printscreens (ctrl+alt+s) and copy/pasting some windows screenshots in some notes, and it works as intended.

But when I tried to merge notes with old printscreens (created in v6) got something as attached on picture (highlighted in greenwhat should be the screenshots?)

image.thumb.png.630875a4450d449add4c7d9663744d49.png

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, deyo246 said:

noticed right now that Evernote Windows client, when merging notes containing old, v6 created print screens and/or pictures, the merge operation deletes some of them screenshots/pictures

This has been recorded elsewhere and has been a problem for some time. Merging notes containing pdfs can also remove the pdfs so I think it may be a general issue with notes containing attachments.

Given that merging can lead to loss of data I am very surprised that EN have not given fixing this greater priority.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Mike P said:

This has been recorded elsewhere and has been a problem for some time. Merging notes containing pdfs can also remove the pdfs so I think it may be a general issue with notes containing attachments.

Given that merging can lead to loss of data I am very surprised that EN have not given fixing this greater priority.

I did successfully merged a note with 4 pictures and a note with some text, and the new note was there full of pictures, but suddenly they disappeared! seems the sync breaks stuff and loses data

14 minutes ago, deyo246 said:

I did successfully merged a note with 4 pictures and a note with some text, and the new note was there full of pictures, but suddenly they disappeared! seems the sync breaks stuff and loses data

That is exactly my experience and that of others. You think it's worked and then you come back to it and find images and pdfs missing and have to look in the trash for the orginal notes. Surely the raison d'etre of a note taking app is to keep your notes safe so I do not understand why this is not at the top of Evernote's priority list.

• Like 2

Yes - same is happening to me.

Generally image handling is not working well. Some of the problems I'm having :

(1) As above, merging notes with images loses images in some notes.

(2) .webp images display on Android (latest version), but not in legacy (show a link in a box) or in v10.6.9 (show a broken link image)

(3) Webclipped pages (e.g. from newspapers) store links to the page images, not the actual images themselves. If the source article changes or is removed, then the images are gone. I think this was reported as far back as the Beta version. The only way I can see around this is to manually screenshot the images and paste them into the note. Not a viable,or acceptable, solution.

1 hour ago, FrankC said:

(3) Webclipped pages (e.g. from newspapers) store links to the page images, not the actual images themselves. If the source article changes or is removed, then the images are gone. I think this was reported as far back as the Beta version. The only way I can see around this is to manually screenshot the images and paste them into the note. Not a viable,or acceptable, solution.

Could you describe exactly how you are doing the webclipping. You are right this was reported way back in the preview stage but I thought it was now fixed. If I do a webclip of a page I get it in a webclip box as expected. I can't see any details of the images in the clip so I have no idea whether they have actually been copied or it is just a link. However, if I "simplify and make editable" the image has definitely been copied because I can edit it.

Copying and pasting from the web also works correctly. I get an editable image which was not the case in the past..

44 minutes ago, Mike P said:

Could you describe exactly how you are doing the webclipping. You are right this was reported way back in the preview stage but I thought it was now fixed. If I do a webclip of a page I get it in a webclip box as expected. I can't see any details of the images in the clip so I have no idea whether they have actually been copied or it is just a link. However, if I "simplify and make editable" the image has definitely been copied because I can edit it.

Copying and pasting from the web also works correctly. I get an editable image which was not the case in the past..

I am using the Web Clipper/Clip Article.

I've just tried it again, and am getting different (better !) results. 

This time it displays correctly in Android and the new version. I can't see any reason for the change in the new version, apart from the fact that some time has passed, and the image is now displayed ??? It could have been down to a delay in Evernote Update/Syncing.

The legacy version still just shows a link - but I now think this may be an internal (Evernote) link, rather than a link to the original source file. The image format is .webp, which I think the legacy Evernote can't display.  Here's a link example :

TELEMMGLPICT000249044382_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqe5jTtuvhyhg4PHi86V8a0uHC4uooAYptTLzL00kNATY.webp

If I try to right-click to copy the image, nothing happens. This is possibly  because the images isn't "in" the note, just a link to the image in the Evernote database (possibly an attachment ?). This could also be part of the reason why people are having problems with Copy/Paste of notes containing images.

• Like 1

Could please someone test a merging of notes with annotated screen captures- but without divider lines (see setup on attached picture)?

It seems, as I tested that, that the notes are intact and the pictures survived the merging and subsequent sync to web and iOS.

image.png.fede24741a666e2d45f4fff7c00c7f4b.png

14 hours ago, deyo246 said:

Could please someone test a merging of notes with annotated screen captures- but without divider lines (see setup on attached picture)?

It seems, as I tested that, that the notes are intact and the pictures survived the merging and subsequent sync to web and iOS.

I merged screen captures as you asked. I tried both annotated and un-annotated images with and without the dividing lines. All combinations survived!

I then tried combining "bookmarks" obtained using the webclipper (which contain an image within a weclip box) with and without the dividing line. None of the images survived!

That made me worry that all images within webclip boxes were vulnerable so I clipped two articles containing images and combined them with and without dividing lines. All the images survived.

I then created two notes and copied and pasted images from the web into both of them. Again combining with or without dividing lines all the images survived.

It wouldn't be the first time that EN have fixed something without announcing it but the nature of the problem means I'm not going to be convinced for a few days. Also the removal of images from bookmarks means that the problem is not completely solved.

• Thanks 2

I have an open ticket related to this.

While producing some test examples, I discovered another apparent bug. If I merge two notes, then another two notes into two new notes, then these two new notes cannot be merged into a single note. It starts working, then I get an error message : "We were unable to merge all the items. Please retry"

The other funny think happening is that when I merge 2 notes, the images appear there initially. However, when I go back later, they're gone.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, FrankC said:

The other funny think happening is that when I merge 2 notes, the images appear there initially. However, when I go back later, they're gone.

Agreed. This is the behaviour I was seeing too. However, in all my testing described above it now only seems to be bookmarks that are not working. As I explained above I'm being cautious because I'm not convinced that they will not disappear in the future. So far so good and I have deliberately completely closed and reopened EN several times.

4 minutes ago, Mike P said:

Agreed. This is the behaviour I was seeing too. However, in all my testing described above it now only seems to be bookmarks that are not working. As I explained above I'm being cautious because I'm not convinced that they will not disappear in the future. So far so good and I have deliberately completely closed and reopened EN several times.

I used "Article" to clip in all my testing.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, FrankC said:

I used "Article" to clip in all my testing.

When did you test last? If it is some sort of sync issue and not a viewer issue then I suppose it is possible that could be corrected without an update to the Windows version.

4 minutes ago, Mike P said:

When did you test last? If it is some sort of sync issue and not a viewer issue then I suppose it is possible that could be corrected without an update to the Windows version.

This morning + again just before I replied here.

I also noticed that when I click on the "ENLARGE" button (under the missing image) it opens the original image in a new tab. However, this is actually a link to the image on the original website (which of course makes it useless for archive purposes, if the original site changes anything).

I've just now done another test with 2 web clips using "screenshot". Once again the images have disappeared. Of course, in this case, the full note is just an image - so nothing remains except the titles from the merged notes.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Mike P said:

OK very strange. I assume you are on 10.6.9. I'll keep on testing but so far it seems to be working much better for me.

Yes - 10.6.9 - On Win 10 PC

I'll see what support come up with. sent them some screenshots & logs.

• Like 1