Invalid URL / Invalid character (Android)

When I click on a hyperlink inside a note I can't get the linked webpage to open, all I get is a blank screen with a "Done" button in the top right hand corner. Clicking on "Done" returns me to the note. Is anyone else experiencing this? (Using Samsung Galaxy S10)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Yes, I do get exactly the same since I installed the latest Android version 10.4.

It occurs on all hyperlinks, whatever they are in old notes created under former versions or in brand new ones created under this last version.

Same problem for me with Android 10.4 (1109602) on an Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 (MIUI 12.0.2). Clicking on most URLs results in an empty screen with a green "Fertig" (German for "Done") in the upper right corner.

A variant of this I see when clicking on more complex URLs (for example links to Google Drive), which results in a popup "Ungültige URL. Ungültiges Zeichen" (German for "Invalid URL. Invalid character", maybe it does not like the "/edit#gid=0" at the end of the URL?

For me this makes the Android app mostly unusable, since nearly all my notes contain some URLs, which no longer can be opened.

• Sad 1
  • 1 month later...

Need help from some community folks to recreate a problem. Should only take about 2 minutes: 

Here's a link to a google docs spreadsheet and it is publicly accessible so you can use it for your own tests.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LiOaeFhgrph9Kyjlzm73sZCT8emAgN6J5Bax3gOox3A/edit#gid=0

On the windows client, I pasted that URL into a new note and hit return. Evernote correctly recognized it as a Google doc and converted it into that gray box with the name of the google document and the google sheets logo. No problem.

I also selected some text in the note called "test link" and pressed ctrl-K. A pop up dialog opened and I pasted the link in and saved it.

On the Windows client, I can click either the grey box or the linked text with the mouse and my system's default browser (chrome) is launched and the google sheet is opened. No problem.

But on my Android client if I tap either, I get an "invalid URL / invalid character" error message.

I am on android version 10.5.1 (1110183) which I believe is the latest version.

Evernote tech support tells me "Yes, the issue was tested on our end and it was not encountered. "

So I am curious if it's just me or if anyone else can recreate this problem.  

Can someone else try to follow the steps above and report back here if they get the same error message? It would be very helpful to know if it's something specific to my instance of the Android app or not. 

Thanks
Calvin Powers

• Level 5

Weird somehow - the Apple mobile OS can handle it, Googles own can’t !

Maybe it has to do with some Unicode interpretation issue - the world was easy (although pretty limited) when every device was talking ASCII.

On 1/23/2021 at 11:44 AM, RoRo! said:

Same problem for me with Android 10.4 (1109602) on an Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 (MIUI 12.0.2). Clicking on most URLs results in an empty screen with a green "Fertig" (German for "Done") in the upper right corner.

A variant of this I see when clicking on more complex URLs (for example links to Google Drive), which results in a popup "Ungültige URL. Ungültiges Zeichen" (German for "Invalid URL. Invalid character", maybe it does not like the "/edit#gid=0" at the end of the URL?

For me this makes the Android app mostly unusable, since nearly all my notes contain some URLs, which no longer can be opened.

I'm on version 10.5 of the android app and I get this invalid URL / invalid character sometimes. I see it most often on google spreadsheet URLs.  I started a separate thread for this issue. here: 

If you could take a minute and help us recreate that problem at the post on that thread I would appreciate it. 

Calvin Powers 

As I experienced all external links are opened within Evernote itself (bug) so I think its maybe not Google's fault here. Unfortunately that is one of the reasons I deinstalled EN 10.5.1 at the moment. Maybe someone with a running installation on Android could kick in?

@Calvin.Powers I get the same result as you:

ujclmjosAavfY2opAj_tIVP5k7Ew1RgdGRO-M7KIqt7HfstpcbZk8det0N9xX69lh7xQhz2yYUA5dpP2hcqUUKql0FQAaIZM4W_QhOPlSCXjv9A7vsiebUSnI0fAY5CI9UUYovWzvGNgjX64Rl5XqWcYs0aSYQwwGb9Q4JrGYBIkZec5lDiGMh0yYP2YuPIiPFeIELHMzbYhor6ZxyqhQiP4GiVcIgHwggvsuogJtv0DoTkV5B7PyBhKl062oeBdsrQfyImprrdNcvpndB-fVDRZWVPj-IGSQ7X7rOvWxhQf83mLiLpbvJSXl_BV0M34lFmOam4AgfzabJ30Nw-yXVRZgBwFnXuaMJIAeel139Hd6RFmNLt9jUeHtfSXpxl-zl3j9LbDlFrvHaDNPHTkPcSX_DW1fSxhM43rk3RcJE5LfyM6k1l98VXW_cVTKFkBmTJWZh6negU9hSGz31GJZM0Xoc8rKzWpOOWotv5bqzPZakJ_evQHb3MbZRUZv2s5GXwQ51a_iJm0VHDuPz-eUEObD4OKQ33tR915ONBmneN6FLjDKr09JI65KeBC7zWBG-P1WuxJDgUovPzXHp9imrkYtaMLX1kvAr2AExyNHG5mpJMRXyux5kdIcusVGk3znAi86ZjCXMzZz2N_F85CrjvSw_9IXwU8HRcJckeGVcLIN524FDCPqSb45KODvA=w472-h969-no?authuser=0

Evernote v10.5.1 can't even handle properly web links (it opens them inside Evernote), so I'm not surprised here with G Docs links.
Even if I paste this same G Sheets web link inside Evernote for Android note it gets integrated properly (same as Windows client), but when I click on it I get the same error (invalid URL/character).
Evernote v10 is a mess on Android.

4 hours ago, matej1990 said:

Evernote v10.5.1 can't even handle properly web links (it opens them inside Evernote), so I'm not surprised here with G Docs links.
Even if I paste this same G Sheets web link inside Evernote for Android note it gets integrated properly (same as Windows client), but when I click on it I get the same error (invalid URL/character).

Thanks for checking. Tech support is supposedly unable to recreate the problem. So it's nice to know at least one other person has seen the issue and I am not going crazy. 

On 3/8/2021 at 8:30 PM, matej1990 said:

ujclmjosAavfY2opAj_tIVP5k7Ew1RgdGRO-M7KIqt7HfstpcbZk8det0N9xX69lh7xQhz2yYUA5dpP2hcqUUKql0FQAaIZM4W_QhOPlSCXjv9A7vsiebUSnI0fAY5CI9UUYovWzvGNgjX64Rl5XqWcYs0aSYQwwGb9Q4JrGYBIkZec5lDiGMh0yYP2YuPIiPFeIELHMzbYhor6ZxyqhQiP4GiVcIgHwggvsuogJtv0DoTkV5B7PyBhKl062oeBdsrQfyImprrdNcvpndB-fVDRZWVPj-IGSQ7X7rOvWxhQf83mLiLpbvJSXl_BV0M34lFmOam4AgfzabJ30Nw-yXVRZgBwFnXuaMJIAeel139Hd6RFmNLt9jUeHtfSXpxl-zl3j9LbDlFrvHaDNPHTkPcSX_DW1fSxhM43rk3RcJE5LfyM6k1l98VXW_cVTKFkBmTJWZh6negU9hSGz31GJZM0Xoc8rKzWpOOWotv5bqzPZakJ_evQHb3MbZRUZv2s5GXwQ51a_iJm0VHDuPz-eUEObD4OKQ33tR915ONBmneN6FLjDKr09JI65KeBC7zWBG-P1WuxJDgUovPzXHp9imrkYtaMLX1kvAr2AExyNHG5mpJMRXyux5kdIcusVGk3znAi86ZjCXMzZz2N_F85CrjvSw_9IXwU8HRcJckeGVcLIN524FDCPqSb45KODvA=w472-h969-no?authuser=0

Evernote (up to 10.6) used an embedded web view to open links. This greatly reduced testing. Now Evernote is going to get bug reports everytime any browser can't open a link 😕

Fortunately Evernote for Android is already so much better than the old app and updates are coming out really quickly :)

3 hours ago, ehrt74 said:

Evernote (up to 10.6) used an embedded web view to open links. This greatly reduced testing. Now Evernote is going to get bug reports everytime any browser can't open a link 😕

Fortunately Evernote for Android is already so much better than the old app and updates are coming out really quickly :)

I don't think it's a browser issue. on android you can edit the link in the note. Copy the URL and then go paste it into a new browser tab on any browser and it works just fine. But if you tap the link in the note, you get an invalid character error message. 

33 minutes ago, Calvin.Powers said:

I don't think it's a browser issue. on android you can edit the link in the note. Copy the URL and then go paste it into a new browser tab on any browser and it works just fine. But if you tap the link in the note, you get an invalid character error message. 

the link works fine for me 😕 

• Level 5

Tried again with the iOS client (10.6):

When I copy and past the link, I get an attachment icon. On opening there is an error message about invalid characters.

When I send the link by sharing into EN (creating a new note with the Google doc), the attachment shows as Google doc. When I click it, I first get an error message that my browser is outdated. This is the internal browser window build into EN. But it will open the Google doc when clicking to proceed. Then there is a new error message that there are fonts missing that could not be loaded.

If this is the root cause, the problem are fonts not available to correctly show the Google doc, not invalid characters in the URL. Then the invalid character message is somewhat misleading, because it is all about embedded fonts.

• Like 1
  • Shane D. changed the title to Invalid URL / Invalid character (Android)