Restore PDF viewer features (Android)

Nicksomename

Idea

20 replies to this idea

Pleas bring this open pdf with other native tool back. i have 17000 notes many of which contain pdf’s - some of which are hundreds of pages long - this is reference library for me - I need to keep the pdf’s together with rest of my notes. 

so please asap - bring back the feature of opening on outside tool - for example Mac OS X standard Preview app.

21 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Which options do you mean ?

If I need to reach options like annotate, save or else, the process works like this (on iOS, but probably Android is similar):

• Open the note
  • Click on edit (Blue Button)
  • Click on the pdf => It is marked with a blue frame
  • Now above the soft keyboard there are 3 options: An „@„ for annotate, a down arrow for download and 3 dots for further options.

Not intuitive, but it works. The options are somewhat reduced compared to legacy (no rotating or deleting of pages, which is useful when scanning directly into EN). What I miss is the possibility to open the pdf in another program, and save it directly back into the notes attachment on closing. The v10 workflow lacks the smoothness of the prior versions.

The inability to open and edit the  pdf in another program is what is keeping me stuck with the legacy app. My entire workflow is based on editing pdfs. Unfortunately the option to annotate as currently available on version 10.4 does not even allow me to zoom in.

I am really hoping this functionality is brought back soon. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Which options do you mean ?

If I need to reach options like annotate, save or else, the process works like this (on iOS, but probably Android is similar):

• Open the note
  • Click on edit (Blue Button)
  • Click on the pdf => It is marked with a blue frame
  • Now above the soft keyboard there are 3 options: An „@„ for annotate, a down arrow for download and 3 dots for further options.

Not intuitive, but it works. The options are somewhat reduced compared to legacy (no rotating or deleting of pages, which is useful when scanning directly into EN). What I miss is the possibility to open the pdf in another program, and save it directly back into the notes attachment on closing. The v10 workflow lacks the smoothness of the prior versions.

• Evernote Expert

I'm not sure what is causing the issue.  The Android app (v10.4) works more or less as he describes for iOS.

I open the note and select EDIT  That presents me with this view which looks like the view you've shown. The giveaway is the blue cross button on the left end of the menu above the keyboard.

Screenshot_20210122-114342.thumb.jpg.9ddd9a69ee3198593c4c485e17844795.jpg

Then I tap and hold the PDF. Tap and let go just opens the PDF in the Acorbat viewer.

Tapping and holding will, after a moment, highlight the PDF and the menu bar will change to show the '@' symbol which is what you select to annotate the PDF.

Screenshot_20210122-114355.thumb.jpg.82896e8bdcf816a405a80f5ba3bffc42.jpg

I can't assist with the Google Drive links.

• Evernote Expert
23 hours ago, niikassim said:

The inability to open and edit the  pdf in another program is what is keeping me stuck with the legacy app.

This IS possible unless it seems that you have some specific challenge.  I have Android 11 with Evernote v10.4  I can open the PDF in, say Adobe Acrobat, and do whatever Acrobat allows (which admittedly isn't so much but that's a limitation of Acrobat viewer on my phone - not of Evernote). 

I understand that others are having a problem but it isn't an issue affecting everyone by any means.

Em 22/01/2021 at 15:33, niikassim disse:

The inability to open and edit the  pdf in another program is what is keeping me stuck with the legacy app. My entire workflow is based on editing pdfs. Unfortunately the option to annotate as currently available on version 10.4 does not even allow me to zoom in.

I am really hoping this functionality is brought back soon. 

I wouldn't mind not being able to use a third-party app to edit pdf if Evernote's annotation was good. But it is not. I can't zoom in on the pdf, to change the page I have to press a button on the left side and select the desired page instead of simply making a swipe gesture. Unfortunately, Evernote's PDF annotation is not practical.

1 hora atrás, agsteele disse:

This IS possible unless it seems that you have some specific challenge.  I have Android 11 with Evernote v10.4  I can open the PDF in, say Adobe Acrobat, and do whatever Acrobat allows (which admittedly isn't so much but that's a limitation of Acrobat viewer on my phone - not of Evernote). 

I understand that others are having a problem but it isn't an issue affecting everyone by any means.

How can you do that? I can't open or edit pdfs in third-party apps.

2 hours ago, agsteele said:

I have tried three different devices and I still can't get it to work! I will really appreciate a step by step tutorial if you don't mind. I really want to get into v10.4 but this for me is a deal breaker.

1 hour ago, Nicksomename said:

Screenshot_20210123-154635_Evernote.thumb.jpg.1ffb06e3ff3c55fbf7497ef58111366f.jpg

I think I found the cause of the bug. It's the table! When the attachment is within the table, the Evernote 10, for some strange reason, cannot identify the pdf.

Can you please clarify what sort of thing you are talking about? Unfortunately, it is not too clear for me from the image you posted

1 hour ago, Nicksomename said:

Screenshot_20210123-154635_Evernote.thumb.jpg.1ffb06e3ff3c55fbf7497ef58111366f.jpg

I think I found the cause of the bug. It's the table! When the attachment is within the table, the Evernote 10, for some strange reason, cannot identify the pdf.

Oh I get it now, sorry. I am glad you found a solution. Doesn't help me much though.

26 minutos atrás, niikassim disse:

Oh I get it now, sorry. I am glad you found a solution. Doesn't help me much though.

For your problem, which is also one of mine, the only solution I see is to use Google drive links. It turns out that they also don't work properly.

However, there is a way to get around this by turning the google drive links into normal links and then selecting the link you want to open, press edit, select the link and press open. This will bring up the drive option.

Screenshot_20210123-175146_Evernote.thumb.jpg.00b8ed083bbd63f3b5f13f0b28f0bd81.jpg

Screenshot_20210123-175231_Evernote.thumb.jpg.3680a7a1ff76fceaea53da88eac70956.jpg

972523250_Screenshot_20210123-175314_AndroidSystem.thumb.jpg.8c8d1c6f3d2e63a8fd6aedef7edf8a53.jpg

Within the google drive app just choose the app of your choice to open and edit the pdf.

This, however, is not a viable option because it is a lot of work just to open a pdf in evernote. It is better to open it directly from the google drive.

Thank you very much for taking the time to get back to me. That is quite a long winded way of achieving something they can so easily be done with the legacy app, just long press and edit.

I am really hoping the find a solution soon even though I know the developers have tons of really critical bugs they need to work on.

Thanks once again.

Hi, same to me.

I can't open pdf files in third-party apps (like Google PDF viewer, Epson Print...) when I touch the pdf file it opens on the evernote app. It's not working for me, because I have some pdf containing several pages, I have to pause and read later, unfortunately the evernote app can't do it.

(vi que alguns devem ser brasileiros, se puderem responder em PT pode ser tb. Em resumo, eu não consigo abrir pdf em outros apps, somente dentro do evernote e é muito ruim, se alguém já tiver uma solução pra isso, diz aí pfvr o que deu)

Hi. I can't open pdf in other apps too. I can't share a pdf . When I try to download lod it the resulting file saved in my phone is corrupted. 

Please please fix that! I uninstalled the latest version of Evernote and installed previous version 8 using apk that I found in the Internet.

I've been using Evernote since it's beginning but I need to be able to share the pdfs that I store in Evernote. Otherwise it's worthless 

The Gdrive links have been fixed and are currently the only way to access pdfs from third-party apps on Evernote mobile. 

I find evernote's native pdf editor promising, but some essential tools are missing, such as the ability to scroll to the next page. In addition, the app is still very unstable mainly in the use of the pdf editor and the sketch tool.

The possibility to choose between the native pdf editor and third-party app would be nice to have back.