Support and Tags

Go to solution Solved by Mike P,

I have been an Evernote user for several years.  I have three questions and a comment.

1.  Didn't Evernote provide support via "Chat"?  What happened to the feature?

2.  Tagging.  What happened?  I used to be able to customize tags and have multi-levels.  It seems impossible to edit tags.  However, I have one PC with an old version that I can still edit tags?  Does anyone have the lowdown on tagging.  Will this feature ever return?

3.  I really miss being able to have auto-import folders.

4.  I like the new home screen!

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Chat was discontinued, probably to free capacity for regular tickets. Maybe it will return when support returns to normal. Ticket return times were about 10days at the worst point. Currently tickets are often answered on the same day. So there is hope they can reenact chat.

Tags: I am not on Windows with v10, but a lot of operations are now found behind right-clicking on a tag or notebook, and selecting from a Dropdown-Menü menu. Since the handling of nested tags was introduced to the iOS client with v10, I think tags continue to be supported. For the time being you can use legacy to edit tags, this will reflect to all devices through syncing.

Import folders are said to return with one of the next releases. Because I don’t need most of the documents outside of EN, I usually scan directly from my ix500 into a new EN note. No need for import folders in this workflow. But I know for others it is an important feature, like having a scripting or hazel automation on the Mac to add content to EN in an efficient process.

• Thanks 1
  • Solution
9 hours ago, Fred Nelson said:

2.  Tagging.  What happened?  I used to be able to customize tags and have multi-levels.  It seems impossible to edit tags.  However, I have one PC with an old version that I can still edit tags?  Does anyone have the lowdown on tagging.  Will this feature ever return?

The tag functionailty in the sidebar is very much reduced compared to the legacy. All you can now do is to filter by a (single) tag and allocate a tag by dragging and dropping onto a note in the note list. All the functionaility you mention, and more, is available in the maIn tags window which can be found by clicking the tags heading in the sidebar or with the shortcut alt-ctrl-5

As well as being able to drag and drop tags within the hierarchy you can also access a menu from the three dots that appear if you hover over a tag.

image.png.e543fc066d9068cccb7aefbdd90191c5.png

• Thanks 1

You mention "The tag functionality in the sidebar is very much reduced compared to the legacy. 

" In the Legacy at least we could see all the Parent Tags with the "nested tags" underneath. Now what Evernote does after you close Evernote and reopen they go back being under the "parent" collapsed  instead of staying opened if your closed it like that.

Many use tags so this is frustrating to manually have to reopen them all from under the parent each time you restart Evernote.  Is this something that will be addressed later?

Screenshot of what would be good to see in the sidebar is attached

Thanks for you comments back. I love Evernote but this is the most important feature for me (12 year user). 

Evernote tags.jpg

9 hours ago, kramme said:

" In the Legacy at least we could see all the Parent Tags with the "nested tags" underneath. Now what Evernote does after you close Evernote and reopen they go back being under the "parent" collapsed  instead of staying opened if your closed it like that.

I think on balance I would also prefer the tag view to be remembered when you close and reopen EN provided they reintroduced the quick way of collapsing the tag view (shift-click "Tags")

Glad someone else agrees, thanks for the comment. And yes that would be good also to have a quick way to collapse them as well as you mentioned. I know there are a lot of us that are heavy users of "tags" they need to add function not take it away. Also to add I see now you cannot "drag and drop a note to the tags now when they are in the navigation  sidebar. Not good!

Just now, kramme said:

Also to add I see now you cannot "drag and drop a note to the tags now when they are in the navigation  sidebar. Not good!

No you can't but you can drag a tag to the note in the note list which luckily has always been my workflow anyway.