(Mac) Cursor jumps to top of Note while typing

Generally speaking - I absolutely LOVE Evernote...I've been using it for MANY years, and have far more information (and notebooks, tags, etc) than I can count. I just wanted to say that!

Yesterday, I was creating a new note, using Evernote web, on my Mac, in Chrome.

As I'm typing...mid-word, it seems like the note might be syncing between the browser and the cloud, and my cursor kept jumping to the top of my note. Repeatedly, I had to keep moving my cursor back down, while I was typing.

In fact, there were times when I placed the cursor on the bottom of my note, continued typing, and once I was done with my sentence, I noticed that the beginning of my sentence was placed on the bottom (as expected) and the rest went to the top of my note, before any other text that was there previously.

This is a HUGE pain in the neck. Frankly, I was tempted to just continue working in a Google Doc, or something, just to avoid this frustrating situation.

It definitely ended up doubling the amount of time it should have - in order to get my thoughts into a digital document.

Anyone have any insight on what's the root cause? Any advice? Thanks in advance.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Sure, if the keyboard sends „Home“ commands all the time, the cursor will follow.

If a replacement keyboard is available, swapping it for a try can isolate the issue. I always keep a very simple USB keyboard and mouse available, as a fallback.

So...just to be clear, using any other web-based, or desktop application....with the same (simple, wired, USB) keyboard....the cursor doesn't jump anywhere. This experience happens exclusively with Evernote web.

• 2 weeks later...

Evernote 10.7.6 (macbook application)

macOS Big Sur 11.0.1 (20B29)

----

before 10.7.6, I didn't see the issue (I use Evernote almost everyday)

after I upgrade to 10.7.6 (about two or days ago), I saw it once so far. I'll keep update once I get more cases

same issue on both Macbook and web page client (I don't have windows)

my Mac has the same issue: : 

Evernote 10.7.6
Macbook application

Web client has the same issue: 

Version 88.0.4324.96 (Official Build) (x86_64)

On 1/19/2021 at 10:12 AM, dgiller said:

Generally speaking - I absolutely LOVE Evernote...I've been using it for MANY years, and have far more information (and notebooks, tags, etc) than I can count. I just wanted to say that!

Yesterday, I was creating a new note, using Evernote web, on my Mac, in Chrome.

As I'm typing...mid-word, it seems like the note might be syncing between the browser and the cloud, and my cursor kept jumping to the top of my note. Repeatedly, I had to keep moving my cursor back down, while I was typing.

In fact, there were times when I placed the cursor on the bottom of my note, continued typing, and once I was done with my sentence, I noticed that the beginning of my sentence was placed on the bottom (as expected) and the rest went to the top of my note, before any other text that was there previously.

This is a HUGE pain in the neck. Frankly, I was tempted to just continue working in a Google Doc, or something, just to avoid this frustrating situation.

It definitely ended up doubling the amount of time it should have - in order to get my thoughts into a digital document.

Anyone have any insight on what's the root cause? Any advice? Thanks in advance.

omg, I thought this was just my imagination, but this is happening to me too!  I was thinking I mistakenly hit a button, but it has happened too many times now and I am sure I have not.   Something is triggering it to refocus to the top of the note.  Have you put a bug report in for this?  I have not as I have had others that are more important.. but now that I see other people are having this same issue I should enter a case.

• Shane D. changed the title to (Mac) Cursor jumps to top of Note while typing

I have the same issue on my Mac app. Cursor jumps on the first line every minute or so when I try to edit my note. Drives me crazy.

Also several copies of this note appear in the list of notes. Not with every jump but maybe every 2-3 minutes new copy appears. 

My setup is macOS Catalina 10.15.7 and Evernote: 10.7.6-mac-ddl-public (2321), Editor version: 117.1.15008, Service version: версия 1.27.2

On 2/7/2021 at 7:10 PM, robinrobin said:

omg, I thought this was just my imagination, but this is happening to me too!  I was thinking I mistakenly hit a button, but it has happened too many times now and I am sure I have not.   Something is triggering it to refocus to the top of the note.  Have you put a bug report in for this?  I have not as I have had others that are more important.. but now that I see other people are having this same issue I should enter a case.

I am experiencing this same cursor hoping issue on all platforms - Mac, iPad, and iPhone. One more point, after the cursor hops to the top of the Note, the Note is duplicated 1 or more times.

My problem is similar but different.

Every time I use the accessibility function (i.e. read aloud) it jumps to the top of my note. That's not suppose to happen. When I highlight specific text to read the evernote window should not jump to the top of my note every single time.

It's so annoying. Please fix!

I wanted to let you know so it can also be address too. I'm on a mac with OSBigSur 11.2.1 and using 10.7.6-mac-ddl-public (2321) Editor: v117.1.15008.

• Shane D. pinned this topic
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...