formatting in notes is messed up, when opened in browser this looks perfect

I have several notes that have their formatting messed up.

I use evernote a lot to hold scripts that need to be executed on servers. When I copy/paste from evernote to a linux-commandprompt there are strange characters in the commands that make it impossible to run.

When I open evernote in a brower-window and copy the same commands from the same note, there are no problems at all when executing the scripts.

I also just installed the latest version, but the problem still remains:

10.6.9-mac-ddl-public (2254)
Editor: v116.1.14913
Service: v1.26.7
© 2019 - 2021 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

@DaveGey It may be that some of the commands contain characters that Evernote thinks is formatting data such as ## turns the line into a title. Press Ctrl+/ and go to autoformatting and see if there are any characters that could cause problems. Another way to solve this is simplify formatting by selecting the text and pressing Ctrl+Space see if this works and be sure to reply if it doesn't.  Best of luck.

the commands are realy just plain text.

Spaces in the commands are not seen as spaces when pasting them.

Simplify formatting does not help either. The result is the same.

I can see in a text-editor (I use SublimeText here) that the spaces are not actually spaces but something different

it is in a lot of notes.

Another thing, but also related to formatting. On a windows-machine that I connect to I launch Evernote in a browser. From that windows-machine I copy output from putty-sessions and paste it in a note.

When I open that note on my Mac in Evernote for Mac the 'enters' are gone, so output from several lines is just visible on one line. But when I open that note in a browser on my mac (Safari, Firefox) the layout is perfect. I can also copy that output from the browser to a word-doc and the layout is preserved. When I do that from the app itself it's all on one line.

3 minutes ago, DaveGey said:

it is in a lot of notes.

Another thing, but also related to formatting. On a windows-machine that I connect to I launch Evernote in a browser. From that windows-machine I copy output from putty-sessions and paste it in a note.

When I open that note on my Mac in Evernote for Mac the 'enters' are gone, so output from several lines is just visible on one line. But when I open that note in a browser on my mac (Safari, Firefox) the layout is perfect. I can also copy that output from the browser to a word-doc and the layout is preserved. When I do that from the app itself it's all on one line.

I'm sorry i cannot think of anything else that could help you, i have had a search and nothing came up. There is also the option of reinstalling which i recommend you do.

Hmm, i don't know your situation but why don't you try to ssh from you mac and copy and past into the mac Evernote, I understand the Mac terminal supports shh so no need for putty, Maybe if you make the note in the mac it will work? @DaveGey

or are you saying you ssh into a windows computer?

Edited by Rajesh Gaire
extra info

Problem is that I cannot connect from the Mac to the servers (vpn connection).

but even if that would work I still have the problem with the scripts. Even when I paste them on my Mac itself to run the problem is the same

4 hours ago, DaveGey said:

pasted the existing script in a code block and copied that text (from the code block) but the result is still the same

wow, this is a very persistent bug. Could you provide a image of it, could help, also if its really bad then you should now think about opening a support ticket with Evernote @DaveGey.

What do you mean with an image? Screenshots or something else?

I mentioned it a few times on the dedicated pages when I was beta-testing as well, but that did not help apparently.

And do you know where I can open a support ticket? I can only find the forum (or I'm not looking in the correct place)...

8 minutes ago, DaveGey said:

What do you mean with an image? Screenshots or something else?

I mentioned it a few times on the dedicated pages when I was beta-testing as well, but that did not help apparently.

And do you know where I can open a support ticket? I can only find the forum (or I'm not looking in the correct place)...

Yes an image screenshot might help, l would like to see what you meant when you said the spaces were not actually spaces in the sublime text editor 

the support tickets link is here Submit a request – Evernote Help & Learning

also you never mentioned you were a beta tester, if it is happening in beta you could always come out of beta or contact the beta support staff is there is one, knowing Evernote there probably aren't any.

also the support ticket is expected to take a long time so get comfy. 

attached a screenshot from the evernote-app and also one from within sublime

In the sublime screenshot you seen the pasted text from evernote and under that some plain text I typed.

In the selected text you can see that in the pasted text there are no 'dots' visible that are showing for spaces.

In the typed text you can see the 'dots' for the spaces. So some other character is used there and that gives problems when running...

I am not running a beta-version anymore now, and I'll see if I can log a ticket. Thanks for the link

evernote_screenshot_1.png

evernote_screenshot_3.png

Oh i see your problem now, its wasn't really clear what you were on about before, So to clarify the problem is that you type code into Evernote  form your sessions and there is no problem in that the format stays and everything is fine, But when you copy and paste that code from the Evernote mac into a terminal or word doc then they all appear on the same line. 

There may be a solution to this that is quite simple, When you copy and paste from your sessions into Evernote. right click and press paste and match style. this may help preserve the formatting. @DaveGey and try to use code blocks more often rather than just plain note as they are for code.

There is only a problem when I paste the code into a terminal. And not that it's all on one line. I get errors when I run the code in the terminal because those 'spaces' are not actually spaces but some other character that cannot be interpreted by the terminal.

For instance in line 2 from the sublime screenshot you see no 'dots' for the first two characters (before the 'when').

In the text I type you do see those 'dots' clearly on line 15 before the 'where'.

For new scripts I will try to remember to paste them in code-blocks, but I have several (no idea how many) existing notes that have problems with this. Copy in Evernote and paste them in a code block results in the same problem when I copy the code from the code-block. And I did not find a way to insert a code block when working in the browser.

So a way to actually replace those strange characters by an actual space for my existing notes is what I would like to see (simplify or remove formatting does not work)

• Thanks 1

hmm, yes this has gone beyond my capability to handle now, i have no idea why this is, it must be a software bug so your best bet is Evernote support ticket. however while i was trying to simulate your problem i noticed somethin, have a look. The first code is from the web copied and pasted into Evernote the second code is the same code but typed up by myself, They both use tabs for indentions.

image.png.eab2fd0816c95a09e9c7a901c51522ed.png

then the code i write selected:

image.png.aef9fb7e1ff0f762bb39e5e9634c79a1.png

checked in the web-browser. In Firefox I cannot insert a code-block, in Safari I can.

Created a code-block then in the same note, pasted the code there. Restarted my evernote-app, and the code-block is not visible there.

When I do it the other way around (create text-block in app) it is also visible in the browser.

Regarding the support-ticket: I have to upgrade my account then before I can actually log a ticket. But I do not want to upgrade if this is not resolved... Chicken & egg situation 😞

1 hour ago, DaveGey said:

checked in the web-browser. In Firefox I cannot insert a code-block, in Safari I can.

Created a code-block then in the same note, pasted the code there. Restarted my evernote-app, and the code-block is not visible there.

When I do it the other way around (create text-block in app) it is also visible in the browser.

Regarding the support-ticket: I have to upgrade my account then before I can actually log a ticket. But I do not want to upgrade if this is not resolved... Chicken & egg situation 😞

Wow, this is quite bad, also you have to be a premium user to get a support ticket????? That is outrageous, first they expect us to go to these forums to find answers which are most likely never there, no support form staff unless thousands of the same people post same problems in the forums and now the ability to take out a support ticket has become premium!!! I can see why people are angry. Might consider Notion right now, Really hope this gets resolved soon for you. I'll tag a staff member so you can get some better support (hopefully) @Shane D. 

• Level 5*
18 minutes ago, DaveGey said:

I sure want to try that. Any idea where I can find that option to switch back? I think it was only there for a given time and not anymore now.

Search for legacy on the forums to find how to go back to a previous release. 

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, Rajesh Gaire said:

I don't think he wants to revert to the legacy but just sort out this formatting problem, could you help @CalS ?

Sorry, but no. I don’t use V10 at this point as it lacks features I need that exist in legacy.  I am steering clear of the new version pending those features returning, or not.  No future in banging my head against the wall at this point in time. 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 1
29 minutes ago, DaveGey said:

Just downloaded the legacy version and there I can perfectly copy the script and use it in my terminal app like it should be.

That's great! even though a user should not have to be forced to go back to the legacy just to fix a problem at least your problem is solved! @DaveGey

On 1/22/2021 at 7:56 AM, DaveGey said:

Just downloaded the legacy version and there I can perfectly copy the script and use it in my terminal app like it should be.

while going through the forums i spotted a bug that could help you with your problem, i have not tested this method which is what i would normally do before recommending anything to anyone, since your bug is very unique. The bug is that when you encrypt the text the text loses all special characters/ special formatting or any formatting and turns it into pure plain text. I don't now if this bug works on everyone but if it happens on your as well the try encrypting the text and decrypting it again to remove any unwanted stuff that could be interfering with it. if this works then this will be the first time i have seen a bug fixed with another bug :D .  good luck @DaveGey

1 hour ago, DaveGey said:

Thanks for the tip. Just tried it, but after encrypting and decrypting again the result is still the same in te new app. I think I'll stick with the legacy app for now 😞

ok @DaveGey i am sorry for the inconvenience, even though it is EN that should be apologizing (which they never do). Lets hope that this gets solved in the new update.

• Thanks 1
  • 5 weeks later...

Just chiming in here, I've been experiencing the same problem lately. Happened with an older release also, but was fixed then. Now, these little dots are appearing when I paste code from an Evernote into Coda. Even worse, these dot characters aren't visible in Coda, so you paste in your code and load the file up to the server and everything breaks....only figured out this problem after pasting the same code into TextMate and then I can see the dot characters in the code snippet.

(Screenshot attached) - Left side is what appears when I paste from Evernote into TextMate.

Not sure if it's always "Tabbed space" related or not. I've found these dots randomly within other lines of code that didn't have tabbed spaces.

Screen-Shot-2021-02-23-at-10.24.17-AM.jpg