[Fixed in Version 10.7] Keyboard shortcuts not working

Vstk

Idea

67 replies to this idea

I am having the same issue since switching to 10.6.9. None of the formatting shortcuts (Ctrl + B, Ctrl + I) are working, nor are several of my most-used shortcuts (Ctrl + Shift + B for a bulleted list, Ctrl + Shift + C for checkbox list). I also have implemented a number of keyboard shortcuts system-wide using AutoHotkey (for example Ctrl + Alt + D prints the current date in ISO format), which continue to work everywhere else but won't work in Evernote since this update.

• Like 2

Same here.

I noticed it with the CTRL + SHIFT + B for the bullet list, it stopped working with this update.

Numbered list does not work either.

Now I saw your post and CTRL + B etc. is not working either!

CTRL + U works at least ;) 

I gave up on the F3 for tag shortcut which still does not work, but do not lose the ones that were working!

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, TK0047 said:

Same here.

I noticed it with the CTRL + SHIFT + B for the bullet list, it stopped working with this update.

Numbered list does not work either.

Now I saw your post and CTRL + B etc. is not working either!

CTRL + U works at least ;) 

I gave up on the F3 for tag shortcut which still does not work, but do not lose the ones that were working!

Really strange because all of these still work perfectly for me (including F3) provided of course I am editing a note (ie the edit menu is visible). Could it be a keyboard issue? Mine is set to English (United Kingdom) in Windows.

3 minutes ago, Shane D. said:

If possible, please call out the specific shortcut that isn't working for you as this will help better identify the root cause of the issue.

Great @Shane D..  For me, the most important ones I've noticed are formatting (CTRL + B, CTRL + I, etc) and bulleted lists (CTRL + SHIFT + B).  So it might just be ones under the Text Formatting header in the desktop app's list of shortcuts.  Many of the navigation and other shortcuts seem to work, but I've only tried a sampling.

3 hours ago, Mike P said:

Really strange because all of these still work perfectly for me (including F3) provided of course I am editing a note (ie the edit menu is visible). Could it be a keyboard issue? Mine is set to English (United Kingdom) in Windows.

I don't think it is a keyboard issue. All shortcuts work as intended in the 6.25 version I have with the same keyboard.

F3 never worked consistently for me since the initial release of V10 by the way.

3 hours ago, Mjbrickman said:

Great @Shane D..  For me, the most important ones I've noticed are formatting (CTRL + B, CTRL + I, etc) and bulleted lists (CTRL + SHIFT + B).  So it might just be ones under the Text Formatting header in the desktop app's list of shortcuts.  Many of the navigation and other shortcuts seem to work, but I've only tried a sampling.

Having the same problem, and those formatting shortcuts are the specific ones I've noticed. May be more but haven't come across them. Ctrl+Shift+N for paste unformatted is still working, however.

I believe it is definitely version related. Had the issue with my windows client on v10.6.9 with most of these “in-note” keyboard shortcuts. 
Had no issue with the web edition and legacy client edition until the web edition now updated to v10.6.9 as well. 

Have submitted a ticket to see if this can be resolved. 👍🏻

The following shortcuts do not work for me either in Windows client or (now) Evernote Web:

Bold ctrl+b

Italics ctrl+i

Highlight ctrl+shift+h

Indent ctrl+m

Bullets ctrl+b

Numbered list ctrl+o

Hope you guys can fix this soon as it's seriously disruptive to my productivity 😟

• Like 1

CTRL + U as well as CTRL + B seem to be the ones not working at all.  CTRL + U works randomly - for example, once I hit those keys nothing will happen but if I then hit CTRL + Z to undo, it'll show up as I did in fact underline it... very strange.  Thank you

• Like 1

since recent update, I also noticed only text formatting shortcut is not working on my windows10 app. ( also tried  to fixed this issue from my computer and realized none of solutions working ) please ~~~~~ fixed this issue as soon as possible it bothers me a lot . 

image.thumb.png.3803123d50fae6266d8e9c40e177ac4c.png

Hi EN team

As mentioned by others, many of the editor shortcuts aren't working in this release.

The following note editor keyboard shortcuts list are not working for me. Trust this detail assists with a quick resolution.

Win10 Home, EN-AU language, EN-US keyboard
10.6.9-win-ddl-public (2254)
Editor: v116.1.14913
Service: v1.26.7

Action
New version
Working for me?
Undo
Ctrl + Z
Yes
Redo
Ctrl + Y
Yes
Cut
Ctrl + X
Yes
Copy
Ctrl + C
Yes
Paste
Ctrl + V
Yes
Paste and match style
Ctrl + Shift + V
Yes
Delete
Backspace
Yes
Select All
Ctrl + A
Yes
Search Notes
Not available
--
Reset Search
Not available
--
Find Within Note
Ctrl + F
Yes
Find Next
Ctrl + G
Yes
Find Previous
Ctrl + Shift + G
Yes
Replace Within Note
Ctrl + H
Yes
Check Spelling
Not available
--
Open in a New Window
Not available
--
Present
Not available
--
Present on Another Screen
Not available
--
Tag
Not available
--
Email note
Not available
--
Font
Not available
--
Align Left
Ctrl + L
No
Align Center
Ctrl + E
No
Align Right
Ctrl + J
No
Justify
Ctrl + Q
No
Increase Indentation
Ctrl + M
No
Decrease Indentation
Ctrl + Shift + M
No
Increase Font Size
Ctrl + Shift + .
No
Decrease Font Size
Ctrl + Shift + ,
No
Make selected text superscript
Ctrl + Shift + Up arrow
No - selects text between current cursor position and the next position one line up
Make selected text subscript
Ctrl + Shift + Down arrow
No - selects text between current cursor position and the next position one line down
Bulleted List
Ctrl + Shift + B
No
Numbered List
Ctrl + Shift + O
No
Checklist
Ctrl + Shift + C
No
Bold
Ctrl + B
No
Italic
Ctrl + I
No
Underline
Ctrl + U
No
Strikethrough
Ctrl + T
No
Highlight
Ctrl + Shift + H
No
Insert Divider
Ctrl + Shift + -
No
Insert Checkbox
Not available
--
Add Hyperlink
Ctrl + K
Yes
Edit Hyperlink
Ctrl + K
Yes
Remove Hyperlink
Ctrl + Shift + K
Yes
Encrypt Selected Text
Ctrl + Shift + X
Yes
Simplify Formatting
Ctrl + Space
Yes
Remove Formatting
Not available
--
Insert date
Alt + Shift + D
No
Insert time
Ctrl + Shift + D
No
Insert row below
Tab at end of table
Yes
Edited by SXH
Added Windows OS version and language details
  • Like 5

This issue is causing a lot of inconvenience to all of us, keyboard shortcuts make taking notes really smooth. Now I literally have to click every time for underlining something or getting a bulleted list. Please solve this issue asap. 

10 hours ago, YC L said:

I'm so frustrated by the QA/QC... :) How did they skip testing these shortcut keystrokes?

I agree. EN QA processes have always been weak. We are fast approaching the equilibrium position where the number of "new" (i.e. reintroduced) features is balanced by the number features that used to work but don't any longer.

My experience is the same as others. Latest Windows 10:

"Edition    Windows 10 Pro
Version    20H2
Installed on    ‎2020-‎10-‎04
OS build    19042.746
Serial number    028647193853
Experience    Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0"

...AND PLEASE: While you're fixing those critically important date and time shortcuts, please respect windows (short) date and time formats. Every culture has its own conventions, and forcing the US format on everyone is a serious annoyance (except, perhaps, for some Americans...).

Evernote team, I was a long time user of Evernote. Left EN last year because of data syncing, basic note taking issues, and lack of innovation. This year, I'm interested in returning ... but it seems EN is still broken (in new ways) even in the most rudimentary cases. Any ETA on fixing this keyboard shortcut bug? Your lack of response if swaying me away from paying the premium feature, or perhaps even using EN again.  

2 hours ago, Pedro N Fonseca said:

Same for me: Ctrl-B, Ctrl-I, ... stopped working. But useless shortcuts such as 🐘 are working!... So much for QA...

I am using

FWIW, I'm on the exact same versions as Pedro (every aspect listed), and I do NOT find ctrl-b or ctrl-i failing to work for me. Just thought that may be of interest to some.  

To be clear, I'm just another user, and I appreciate that when such expected keys stop working for folks, it will be annoying.

And trust me, I miss others (like f6), and really there is MUCH about the new Windows client that frustrates me daily, coming from 12 years on the old client. Those issues seem less to be "bugs" but more simply about design decisions, where someone in authority thinks some behavior we had before should not continue. I know the team is working to get more things "back" (where some may come back, while others will be deemed "no longer needed"). I am getting more motivated to try out alternatives.

Same issues for me on Windows 10 after 10.6.9 update.

Works fine:

1. CTRL+U

Does NOT work:

1. CTRL+B
  2. CTRL+SHIFT+C 
  3. CTRL+I

Version Info:

© 2019 - 2021 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

8 hours ago, newnewyorker said:

Seems like keyboard shortcuts are working. Tested bold, italics, higlighting, underline, etc. Finally!

What version are you using? in my EN the shortcuts are not (yet) working and it says: 'You’re up to date! Evernote 10.6.9 is currently the newest version available.'.

Did anyone else experience that SHIFT + ENTER does not behave the same way in the new EN version?
Instead of (only) inserting a carriage return, it always inserts carriage return + newline.

As a result, in lists, each time a new item (bullet, checklist, ...) is added instead of just continuing the text on a new line within the same item.

Very, very annoying and a degradation of existing functionality.

2 hours ago, Mark Salaets said:

What version are you using? in my EN the shortcuts are not (yet) working and it says: 'You’re up to date! Evernote 10.6.9 is currently the newest version available.'.

Keyboard shortcut works for me on this version. Maybe try re-launching, or ctrl+R (to refresh, since the app is really a website-in-a-window)

2 hours ago, Mark Salaets said:

Did anyone else experience that SHIFT + ENTER does not behave the same way in the new EN version?
Instead of (only) inserting a carriage return, it always inserts carriage return + newline.

As a result, in lists, each time a new item (bullet, checklist, ...) is added instead of just continuing the text on a new line within the same item.

Very, very annoying and a degradation of existing functionality.

SHIFT+Enter works expectedly for heading, bullets now for me. I'm on:

This problem is incredibly frustrating and severely degrades the usability of Evernote.  This is not the first time Evernote has failed miserably in their QA/QC.  At the very least you should be emailing your users to let them know that there is a problem and provide a timeline for a fix.

I'm sure the Evernote team is working hard to solve this problem, but you need to do better.  Do proper QA/QC before you release. This is a blindingly obvious bug that should be been picked up.

If you want my future $$ you're doing to have to improve.  There are plenty of competitors out there who are doing a better job.

• Like 2

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents here. CTRL-B and CTRL-I also not working for me, among others. It's incredibly frustrating to use a mouse to manually do everything. I can't even keep up with my lecturers and as a medical student typing speed and highlighting important points is critical. Fix this asap please, especially since you keep hounding me to upgrade to premium...not a great look

• Evernote Expert
3 hours ago, Sean S. said:

This problem is incredibly frustrating and severely degrades the usability of Evernote.  This is not the first time Evernote has failed miserably in their QA/QC.  At the very least you should be emailing your users to let them know that there is a problem and provide a timeline for a fix.

I'm sure the Evernote team is working hard to solve this problem, but you need to do better.  Do proper QA/QC before you release. This is a blindingly obvious bug that should be been picked up.

If you want my future $$ you're doing to have to improve.  There are plenty of competitors out there who are doing a better job.

A challenge for sure but you may not be aware that these are peer support forums so you're speaking to fellow users rather than feeding back to Evernote staff. They are here from time to time and they have said that fix is scheduled for the next release.

10 minutes ago, agsteele said:

so you're speaking to fellow users rather than feeding back to Evernote staff.

@agsteele It shouldn't stop us from voicing the importance of this issue (or any issue of that matter). If EN team cares about their users, they should check and leverage content, feedback in this forum. Many companies would pay alot of money to engage their users. We give this opportunity to the team for "free".

In addition @Shane D. asked community members to list out shortcuts that's not working for us. I also think EN team should provide better visibility over timeline for resolution, esp. with core functionalities like...writing notes.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
1 hour ago, Mark Salaets said:

I have provided comments before via the 'Send feedback' button in EN, but there is no way to find out if any of that is being taken into account. I'm not aware at least if I can follow up on this somehow ...

I'm not sure that there is a means of getting feedback from the feedback.  The only way of getting a response is to raise a support ticket if, as you are, you are a PREMIUM user.

• Level 5

Feedback through the new feedback channel AFAIK will not be answered. It flows from there to a collection, where the input is grouped together and used by PM to have a look at feature issues and other stuff. The best answer you can expect if one day "your" feedback shows up in a release note.

Bugs should be reported through support tickets.

On 1/25/2021 at 11:48 AM, simonparkerdublin said:

...AND PLEASE: While you're fixing those critically important date and time shortcuts, please respect windows (short) date and time formats. Every culture has its own conventions, and forcing the US format on everyone is a serious annoyance (except, perhaps, for some Americans...).

10.7.6-win-ddl-public (2321)
Editor: v117.1.15008
Service: v1.27.2

Shortcuts are not only fixed, but improved. Date and time formats are sensitive to region: "30 January 2021" "18:20". Thanks for listening, Evernote.

On 1/29/2021 at 8:33 PM, GordonS said:

Good news! The version just released today Jan 29 fixes the problem, at least for me it does. 

I'm on Win 10, v10.6.9. When I check for updates (it's currently 31-Jan), it tells me I am on the latest version.

Using legacy version as workaround - this is a major issue for me.

Last release, per https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360058361833-Evernote-release-notes, was Jan 13. Am I missing something? Is Jan 29 a Windows beta release?

@drewster Sometimes the updates push to clients takes a while. Best way to get the latest version is to simply go to the Evernote website and download the client from there. It will install over you le version (and will leave the legacy version intact) 👍🏻  

cheers. 

Windows 10 Pro 20H2
OS build 19042.746
Evernote v10.6.9

I was experiencing this issue with keyboard shortcuts too (Ctrl+B, Ctrl+Shift+B, Ctrl+E not working).

Downloaded Evernote v10.7.6 direct from the website and everything's working again.

Thanks for making speedy work of this fix, Evernote team. Well done!