(Archived) TIP: using saved search to look for untagged notes

I'm using tags pretty heavily on every note in everyone notebook. This means that any notes that I forget to tag won't filter into my tag set. So, I create a null tag saved search for each notebook. Then I can hit each one and check for items in a notebook which have escaped tagging.

Saved search with these terms:

notebook:"notebookname" -tag:*

This should give you any items in the designated notebook which are untagged. It should work.

Look in your manual under Search Terms, and specifically, Scope Modifiers and Core Note Properties for more.

• Level 5*

Another way to skin, er, pet the same cat is to select List View, select All Notebooks, and sort by tags. Not something I'd keep a saved search around for, myself, but useful every so often when I go on a note-cleaning-up binge.

~Jeff

Another way to skin, er, pet the same cat is to select List View, select All Notebooks, and sort by tags. Not something I'd keep a saved search around for, myself, but useful every so often when I go on a note-cleaning-up binge.

~Jeff

Agree with Jeff. Just do whatever search you want on whatever notebooks you want & sort by tags. Notes with no tags will either be at the beginning of the list or the end of the list, depending on whether you've sorted ascending or descending.

When I enter into the Search box "-tag:*" it shows the following in the Search details:

Viewing 12 notes from Inbox matching All of the following: tagged with *

Shouldn't it read "matching All of the following: not tagged" since i prefixed the tag keyword with a minus sign?

Agree with Jeff. Just do whatever search you want on whatever notebooks you want & sort by tags. Notes with no tags will either be at the beginning of the list or the end of the list, depending on whether you've sorted ascending or descending.

Hmmm... sounds like a plan, but I don't have a tags column in list view. Is that a Windows version thing?

Hmmm... sounds like a plan, but I don't have a tags column in list view. Is that a Windows version thing?

I do use the Windows client, so I can't speak to the Mac client.

• 5 months later...

I made a search for "No Tags", but I'm having problems. I can get a list of all notes that aren't tagged, but, when I try to tag them, they disappear from the list. If there is just one tag, that's fine, but if I want to tag a note with multiple tags, or a group of notes with the same tags, how can I do it?

• Level 5
I made a search for "No Tags", but I'm having problems. I can get a list of all notes that aren't tagged, but, when I try to tag them, they disappear from the list. If there is just one tag, that's fine, but if I want to tag a note with multiple tags, or a group of notes with the same tags, how can I do it?

In Windows, call up the Assign Tags option (Ctrl + Alt +T)

Then click on the tags you want applied to the specific note.

You don't have to scroll, just type the first letter of the tag.

You can do this for an individual note, or multiple notes.

• Level 5*

Strangely enough, that's by design. You've filtered your note list on untagged notes, so when you add a tag to a note in the note list, that note no longer meets the filter criteria, so it's not listed any more. As jbenson says, you can use Assign Tags to help do your tagging for you in a way that doesn't make them disappear after one tag.

Archived