Cant find EXPORT for whole book.

• Level 5*

Hi.  There is no way within the new app.  If you also install the Legacy app and use that,  it is possible to export notebooks to ENEX files as a backup.  A paid-for utility Backupery can automate that for you.  Online resources also exist - see CloudHQ.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Evernote Expert

I haven't tried this BUT... I notice that if I choose to Sign Out from Evernote v10.6 the option is to sign out and retain a backup.  I've no idea what that backup actually contains or where it resides but presumably it could be backed up and then log back into the application.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, ron101 said:

try as i might, i can not find a way of backing up to my hard drive in one go. I can do it by sending each and every thing on its own but not as a complete notebook. Please tell me how?

For the Version 10 product, we can backup each notebook273410904_ScreenShot2021-01-18at08_17_57.png.62a2bfb49409c6f3a334f3c8cc66e654.png
Using the Notebook page, right click a notebook and select Export

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
39 minutes ago, agsteele said:

I haven't tried this BUT... I notice that if I choose to Sign Out from Evernote v10.6 the option is to sign out and retain a backup.  I've no idea what that backup actually contains or where it resides but presumably it could be backed up and then log back into the application.

I believe this is a copy of the 'temporary' working database that would otherwise be deleted when you log out.  There's a discussion somewhere about where that database is stored,  but as far as I know it can NOT be used separately from the app.  AFAIK It's not - yet - intended as a full backup of the database.  If you truly need a backup - better to use the Legacy option or go with CloudHQ and backup from the server.

If anyone has any more information though - please advise!!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
43 minutes ago, agsteele said:

I think this works with the Preference setting Save Data at Logout

Note: This data is only used when offline

• Like 2
  • Evernote Expert
3 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I think this works with the Preference setting Save Data at Logout

Note: This data is only used when offline

You'd imagine that this would be the case. However, if I turn off the setting in Preferences it is still possible to choose to retain a backup in the sign out process.  I don't have time or energy to puruse this but I imagine there'll be someone who is able to explore what this Backup option does.

• Confused 1
  • 11 months later...
  • Level 5

Just to mention it: These concepts are bound to the functioning of the legacy client. If the content of new features like Tasks will be backupped via the legacy database I don’t know - maybe somebody can try and tell. AFAIK they do not work with the new clients.

I do not use these services - yes, backing up is important, but the service of backuppery cost double (!) the price of a Personal subscription, annually.

What I do instead: I save the EN folder with the local copy of my notes via TimeMachine on my Mac. This runs seamlessly, every hour, and I cloud restore from that copy. TM includes versioning, so I can even go back in time - it is just not possible to pick any individual note for a restore.

12 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

the functioning of the legacy clien

Ahhhh the one that actually worked. I grow tired of hearing about the "legacy version" I really wish I had not renewed for another year to give EN a chance- at the end of this Subscription if the basic functions that WERE available and are no longer available and some functions that have been request (manual sorting- for 10+ years) and bi directional linking then EN will be history.

• Level 5

Emotional content high, problem solving to others ?

Probably the reason these backup services rely on legacy is the scripting option. No scripting in v10, at least yet.

But as explained this is not necessary to run a backup. v10  builds a local database, it allows offline use - so everything is there to back it up. No need for (quite expensive) external services. The same is true for legacy, BTW.