Image not showing in Note View - snippets

2 hours ago, Rajesh Gaire said:

My note image icon is not showing up on the snippet view. Is this a bug?

image.png.44ac43b3cc75fc7713becd73f74dbb0b.png

I always get this for notes with attachments that are not pdfs and sometimes get it where there is no attachment at all but there is web content.  Very ocassionally I get it with a pdf.

31 minutes ago, Rajesh Gaire said:

I have some PDF's and this does not happen to them. Its an image and I also have lots of Images but's only on this note/Image.

Is the format of this image different? I assume that if EN can display the image in the note it can do so in the snippet as well but there could be a bug. I don't know the complete list of acceptable image formats but certainly jpg and png work ok. The other thought is whether the image is a lot larger than the others. I know with pdfs large pdfs do not get displayed inline for example. Just some thoughts.

• Thanks 1
  • Evernote Expert

Actually, the images in the snippet and card views are not working correctly in v10.  It isn't just this particular issue but, for example, create a note containing a single image.  The snippet or card will be given an image based on the image inside the note.  Now remove that image and replace it with a different image.  The snippet/card will still have the version based on the original image.  Go off to the legacy version of the application and the snippet image will have changed to something based on the new image.

I've got a ticket open for this which has been acknowledged as an issue.  Who knows when these will be addressed but they are known.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, agsteele said:

Actually, the images in the snippet and card views are not working correctly in v10.  It isn't just this particular issue but, for example, create a note containing a single image.  The snippet or card will be given an image based on the image inside the note.  Now remove that image and replace it with a different image.  The snippet/card will still have the version based on the original image.  Go off to the legacy version of the application and the snippet image will have changed to something based on the new image.

I agree. The really weird thing though is that the web version also works correctly so it's something very specific to how how V10 is implemented on desktop. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Mike P said:
5 hours ago, agsteele said:

I've got a ticket open for this which has been acknowledged as an issue.  Who knows when these will be addressed but they are known.

I agree. The really weird thing though is that the web version also works correctly so it's something very specific to how how V10 is implemented on desktop. 

@agsteele Can you please post a link to your issue you reported? I did a quick search and could not find it. I also posted an issue on EN IOS forum for the wrong thumbnail image in snippet view: https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/133126-thumbnailsnippet-view-image-not-being-refreshed-correctly-when-image-replaced-in-note-for-ios-devices/

@Mike P @agsteele I am noticing the wrong thumbnail image seems to be IOS specific for me in that it is only wrong on the IOS device (iPad or iPhone) where I originally created the new Note. So, for example a new Note via iPhone (v10) will continue to show the wrong/original thumbnail, but the iPad (v10), Web (v10), and Windows Desktop (v6 oirg), after a sync, will change to the "correct" image based on whatever algorithm is used by EN to pick the thumbnail (which is not necessarily the same on every device, but that's a whole other issue).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Evernote Expert
1 hour ago, luvmyc6 said:

@agsteele Can you please post a link to your issue you reported? I did a quick search and could not find it. I also posted an issue on EN IOS forum for the wrong thumbnail image in snippet view: https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/133126-thumbnailsnippet-view-image-not-being-refreshed-correctly-when-image-replaced-in-note-for-ios-devices/

@Mike P @agsteele I am noticing the wrong thumbnail image seems to be IOS specific for me in that it is only wrong on the IOS device (iPad or iPhone) where I originally created the new Note. So, for example a new Note via iPhone (v10) will continue to show the wrong/original thumbnail, but the iPad (v10), Web (v10), and Windows Desktop (v6 oirg), after a sync, will change to the "correct" image based on whatever algorithm is used by EN to pick the thumbnail (which is not necessarily the same on every device, but that's a whole other issue).

It was a support ticket direct to Evernote support so no link available.

• Thanks 2
10 hours ago, luvmyc6 said:

I am noticing the wrong thumbnail image seems to be IOS specific for me in that it is only wrong on the IOS device (iPad or iPhone) where I originally created the new Note. So, for example a new Note via iPhone (v10) will continue to show the wrong/original thumbnail, but the iPad (v10), Web (v10), and Windows Desktop (v6 oirg), after a sync, will change to the "correct" image based on whatever algorithm is used by EN to pick the thumbnail (which is not necessarily the same on every device, but that's a whole other issue).

Very interestring. I tried creating the note on the web version and syncing it to the windows desktop version. When I changed the image in the web version and synced, both versions have the wrong image. So it appears that my statement that it works on the web was not completely correct. It only works if you change the image on the desktop and sync to the web. It's a mess, so I am glad that @agsteelehas raised a support ticket. I am sure he will update us if there is any progress.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
18 hours ago, Mike P said:

Is the format of this image different?

PNG 53kb @Mike P , I have more png that are larger than this but display correctly. Also, @agsteele I made a new note and added that image in and i have done nothing to it, nevermind change the image for another, so I am not sure why it is acting like that. It displays like that on snippet view ,card view, as well across all devices and even in Home:

image.png.ea1bd1da206878b4afbedda7102552fc.png

Edited by Rajesh Gaire
Extra info + image
18 minutes ago, Rajesh Gaire said:

PNG 53kb @Mike P , I have more png that are larger than this but display correctly. Also, @agsteele I made a new note and added that image in and i have done nothing to it, nevermind change the image for another, so I am not sure why it is acting like that. It displays like that on snippet view ,card view, as well across all devices and even in Home:

image.png.ea1bd1da206878b4afbedda7102552fc.png

png's support transparency. When I add a png image containing a transparent background it displays correctly in the note but I do not get a thumbnail and get the same icon as you show. If I remove the transparency from the same image it all works correctly. Could  this be the issue for you too?

• 8 months later...

This problem persists after at least 10 months. Syncing is abysmal. Using the desktop app, I created a new note, added an image. It made that image the thumbnail. Took too long for something so simple. Then, I removed it, added a new image. The thumbnail went away. Then after taking way too long to come back, it was the original, now deleted image, not the new image I put into the note.

I feel like if the feedback I linked below was implemented, none of this guesswork on which issue to make the thumbnail and syncing and all that jazz would immediately go away. You guys are making this harder than it needs to be. People have been wanting the below solution for 10 YEARS, and instead you are using if statements to try to guess what image should show.

• Like 1