premium ad spamming disable option for plus paying customers

renegars

Idea

I'm a *paying* customer for the plus version but some smart moron at evernote decided I should be spammed with ad for the premium version at launch and at the top of my note list : any way to get rid of that before I search for alternative ? Thanks !

• Like 1

18 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
On 1/17/2021 at 12:33 PM, renegars said:

I'm a *paying* customer for the plus version but some smart moron at evernote decided I should be spammed with ad for the premium version at launch and at the top of my note list : any way to get rid of that before I search for alternative ? Thanks !

Hi.  Evernote's guerilla marketing department like to nag anyone not paying a full subscription as often as they can,  and it might have gone up a notch in the new version.  As a subscriber you can contact Support to request they back off a little - it may take a little time to get a response given the new version and all,  but you'll get your point across...

I'm on a PLUS subscription as well and hate being nagged about paying even more.

Equally frustrating is that it seems like they may be forcing premium on us going forward by including no new feature for the PLUS users. My Evernote desktop app just updated this morning with the new "Home" feature, but PLUS users can't customize it.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, jh1989 said:

I'm on a PLUS subscription as well and hate being nagged about paying even more.

Equally frustrating is that it seems like they may be forcing premium on us going forward by including no new feature for the PLUS users. My Evernote desktop app just updated this morning with the new "Home" feature, but PLUS users can't customize it.

What new features would you like to see for Plus users?  You may be right that the continuing Plus account is probably a pain in the neck for Evernote - not only do they need to maintain an app across dozens of operating systems and devices,  it comes in three 'speeds' with different limitations.  Simplification is always cheaper for the company,  and they haven't shown any inclination to add another middle-range product to their armoury.

Given the cost of maintaining different levels, the other possibility is just to expire the option - be careful what you wish for! 

@gazumped : stop bitching please. I don't want feature, I don't want to be spammed in an app *I paid for*. If they are not happy with the plus version they can make the decision to stop it instead of whining with premium spam. Understand now ?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, renegars said:

@gazumped : stop bitching please.

Wasn't bitching. Also wasn't talking to you...

2 hours ago, jh1989 said:

they may be forcing premium on us going forward by including no new feature for the PLUS users.

(My emphasis)

To you,  I said...

On 1/19/2021 at 2:38 AM, gazumped said:

As a subscriber you can contact Support to request they back off a little - it may take a little time to get a response given the new version and all,  but you'll get your point across...

Nagware isn't spam,  but it can be annoying.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Oh, I love these discussions. And those with Basic users that like to advise where to direct dev resources for the next 10 years without willing to contribute today. And those with Premium users (including myself) that believe they own the company.

It would be super easy to stop these nagware attacks ASAP: Discontinue the Plus accounts, force „up or Basic“. Beside the shitstorm I put it into a little calculation: If appr. 30% convert to Premium, the financial impact is neutral, and the nagware attacks can be stopped.

This IMHO would be a more honest solution than pushing senseless messages on customers who are happy with their current status. Either EN should accept that a Plus user will decide by himself when to move upwards, or should take action to set up a clean structure of its plans, without carrying old, discontinued plans indefinitely.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, gazumped said:

Given the cost of maintaining different levels, the other possibility is just to expire the option - be careful what you wish for! 

That's true, that's probably what is going to happen at some point.

Tbh, I don't even need nor want the home thing, I wish I could just hide the icon entirely.

• Level 5*
26 minutes ago, jh1989 said:

That's true, that's probably what is going to happen at some point.

Tbh, I don't even need nor want the home thing, I wish I could just hide the icon entirely.

Sorry - can't advise you on that;  one benefit you have as a subscriber - you can always ask Support what you can do about it ...  eventually ...

I've been a loyal customer with many tears of plus subscription, but now considering to switch to use some other product like Notion. Being a target of daily "Buy Premium" spam messages has finally became annoying to me. There is no any way to opt out. This is like a class room example how NOT to do your upselling.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
30 minutes ago, Hopeauni said:

Being a target of daily "Buy Premium" spam messages

It's not 'spam' to encourage existing users to upgrade to a better product.  It's 'nagware' at it's worst - and although I also use Evernote Basic from time to time I've never been aware of any specially intense nagging.  If you have used any other software,  you'll know that you either see lots of adverts or the 'occasional' (for varying definitions of the word) upsell message from the host app  - sometimes you get both.  If you think Evernote Marketing has this turned up to 11 at the moment,  use one of the privileges that you're paying for and contact Support.

It's possible that there's a bug in the system,  and there may be a way to turn it down slightly - you should certainly complain if the frequency of the messages makes the app unusable.  In honesty it is possible that Evernote has now decided that its patience is running out on the legacy support it's so far given to Plus users and it'd rather see you upgrade or leave  in short order.

But we are NOT Evernote here - this is (mainly) a user-supported Forum.  So if you have an issue - go talk to them direct!  I happen to know that some of the techs there are no fans of nagware either.

EDIT:  Just for reference - 

• Like 1
On 1/21/2021 at 5:54 PM, gazumped said:

not only do they need to maintain an app across dozens of operating systems and devices

This should not be hard for a large company like that, i know many people who as a small team or duo that do this singlehandedly while having other jobs, with a large customer base as well -rem****, I am starting to question the integrity of their developers.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Rajesh Gaire said:

This should not be hard for a large company like that, i know many people who as a small team or duo that do this singlehandedly while having other jobs, with a large customer base as well -rem****, I am starting to question the integrity of their developers.

Remember this is a debate about those "upgrade to premium!" messages that you might have seen occasionally (!). 

Doesn't matter how much work it  is to maintain the product - the point is developers like to be paid.  Evernote not being a charity,  their managers (not the developers) want to extract as many subscriptions from their users as possible. 

Developers are just doing their job to include messages every 100 clicks or 20 hours (or whatever) - If you want to assign "blame",  look to the Marketing Department and senior Management!

2 hours ago, gazumped said:

you might have seen occasionally

that is a understatement but i understand what you are saying.

the point is developers like to be paid.

i want to say something about this but i will respect the rules and the subtle warning.

If you want to assign "blame"

I don't want to blame anyone because i don't know what circumstance they are in and i make it a rule to follow that, but the frustration that they are making is quite a lot. 

a debate about those "upgrade to premium!" messages

that is super annoying because in the last update and the new update they are being more frequent and i end up clicking them because i don't think that they will appear so quickly, i tried the legacy version and virtually no spamm just occasional reminders. but not everyone wants to use the legacy version.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
47 minutes ago, Rajesh Gaire said:

in the last update and the new update they are being more frequent and i end up clicking them because i don't think that they will appear so quickly

As a general thing for Plus users then,  I'd definitely suggest raising this in a feedback/ support ticket;  getting in the way of normal operations is not how these things are supposed to work.  Basic users could try https://twitter.com/evernotehelps ...

• Thanks 1

I *paid* for the plus version but I a smart moron at Evernote marketing had this great idea to spam my working windows and launch with ads for buying the premium version : there should be an option to disable this so the moron and me will be both happy.

• Level 5*
20 minutes ago, renegars said:

I *paid* for the plus version but I a smart moron at Evernote marketing had this great idea to spam my working windows and launch with ads for buying the premium version : there should be an option to disable this so the moron and me will be both happy.

I moved this latest version of your post back here since I wasn't planning on rehashing the same discussion. Best advice: raise a support ticket - it's feedback, and makes the point that some of these reminders are getting in the way of actual use.

On 1/25/2021 at 6:19 AM, gazumped said:

As a general thing for Plus users then,

I'm actually surprised Plus is still a thing. I could have sworn it was being deprecated when I left 1.5y ago... Guess they haven't forced the conversion of existing Plus users yet...

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, dcon said:

I'm actually surprised Plus is still a thing. I could have sworn it was being deprecated when I left 1.5y ago... Guess they haven't forced the conversion of existing Plus users yet...

I'd guess that'll wait until they feel they can switch the pre-10 support network off but when/ if they have a general re-focus and simplify the overall product range,  any 'special cases' are likely to get a close look...