What Evernote v10 "Boulders" are you wishing for?

aukirk

Idea

While most of the forum discussion seems to focus on complaints about v10 and missing features yet to be developed... I am one of the happy v10 users and excited about where things are going.  With the recent release of "Home", the following interview with Ian Small referred to this as the first "boulder" in a series of "boulders" that will be building upon each other over the coming months...

So lets get some positive mojo going in this thread and talk about what future "boulders" you hope to see coming to make Evernote even better (assume for discussion they have already resolved your outstanding complaints about missing features in the current v10).

Mine would be...

1) Collapsable sections of text... this would be a huge productivity boost for me, and I really wish this had come with the new Editor's highlighter colors, checklists and "grabable" sections of text.  Hopefully this is coming soon.

2) Ability to see backlinks... i.e. if you place a link to Note A in the text of Note B.... somewhere in Note A it would be great to either display or provide a section on the Note Info with a list of notes that link to that note.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, aukirk said:

what future "boulders" you hope to see coming to make Evernote even better

I'm content with the features delivered in the Legacy product

I know the markdown crowd want a note format option    
For myself, collapsable outlines and link/anchors within contents

edit: The Search Feature supporting full boolean syntax

The mobile/web platforms need feature parity with the desktop platforms   
for example multi-select and merge

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
  1. Zero knowledge encryption option for selected notebooks. Since v10 dropped Local Notebooks and that feature isn't coming back, I'd love to have the option to zero knowledge encrypt selected notebooks, so some of my notebooks could be read by EN, while the zero knowledge encrypted notebooks could not be read by EN or by anyone who successfully hacked EN. Of course I expect the odds of this feature being implemented are slim to none and slim just left town.
  2. outline view / collapsible text. Would be very handy for longer notes.
  3. backlinks
  4. note tabs. Having the notes you're mainly accessing/editing in a particular day in tabbed view is very convenient. EN Windows never had this.

Fortunately, all of these features are available in other note apps, so they aren't impossible and I expect EN will eventually incorporate them*, with the exception of zero knowledge encryption.

*  "Eventually" can be a very long time for EN. Outline mode has been highly requested for many years. But with all the competition in recent years, I don't think EN can afford to continue to be so slow to develop features that are now table stakes for note apps.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
38 minutes ago, tavor said:
  • Zero knowledge encryption option for selected notebooks. Since v10 dropped Local Notebooks and that feature isn't coming back, I'd love to have the option to zero knowledge encrypt selected notebooks, so some of my notebooks could be read by EN, while the zero knowledge encrypted notebooks could not be read by EN or by anyone who successfully hacked EN. Of course I expect the odds of this feature being implemented are slim to none and slim just left town.
  • outline view / collapsible text. Would be very handy for longer notes.
  • backlinks
  • note tabs. Having the notes you're mainly accessing/editing in a particular day in tabbed view is very convenient. EN Windows never had this.

That captures my wish list pretty well too.  I agree with your comments on number one.  I think I have a better chance of winning the lottery.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Paperless and GTD bias here.

1. EXACT same search and sort functions and RESULTS on all platforms
  2. Make EN a a productivity beast so you can achieve the new tag line of accomplishing anything
    1. Streamline processes through denser screen real estate and less clicks
    2. More options customization so users can set EN up the way they want to see and use it, saved views and the like
    3. More hotkeys for the less mouse centric or those that prefer to automate repetitive tasks
  3. Editable templates that preserve title and tags
  4. Place a link in another app and have the desktop version of EN display it when clicked
  5. Boolean search (may live in the same universe as encrypted notebooks)
  6. Bring local notebooks back
  7. Speed, without it all the boulders in the world aren't going to help

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, s2sailor said:

That captures my wish list pretty well too.  I agree with your comments on number one.  I think I have a better chance of winning the lottery.

That's why I'm test driving Joplin. It checks off all those boxes today, while EN is 0 for 4. To be fair, I expect EN will be 3 for 4 within the next 1-2 years, and I probably would have been content waiting, but loss of Local Notebooks in v10 with no prospect of a suitable alternative (such as item #1 - zero knowledge encryption), is spurring me into action.

Joplin certainly isn't as polished and seamless as EN v6, but it does surpass EN in many ways functionally. Quite remarkable considering how young the project is and the shoestring budget (donations) it operates on. It really shows the power of open source projects that gain popularity. It needs a UI design makeover and the lead dev has acknowledged as much. I'm betting at some point someone with UI design experience will step up and contribute his/her expertise to the project, which would give the app a more polished and seamless look.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
6 minutes ago, tavor said:

That's why I'm test driving Joplin. It checks off all those boxes today, while EN is 0 for 4. To be fair, I expect EN will be 3 for 4 within the next 1-2 years, and I probably would have been content waiting, but loss of Local Notebooks in v10 with no prospect of a suitable alternative (such as item #1 - zero knowledge encryption), is spurring me into action.

Joplin certainly isn't as polished and seamless as EN v6, but it does surpass EN in many ways functionally. Quite remarkable considering how young the project is and the shoestring budget (donations) it operates on. It really shows the power of open source projects that gain popularity. It needs a UI design makeover and the lead dev has acknowledged as much. I'm betting at some point someone with UI design experience will step up and contribute his/her expertise to the project, which would give the app a more polished and seamless look.

The thing I thought was missing the most after a quick spin of Joplin was search functionality.  Ditto for most of the other PC options out there, Nimbus included.  Kind of basic to start and not easy to modify a search in progress.  Could be my lack of familiarity as well though.  And as I do quite a bit of searching (whether it is via Ctrl+Q or saved or the shortcuts bar or the magnifying glass in the shrunk left panel) ....  🤷‍♂️

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, CalS said:

The thing I thought was missing the most after a quick spin of Joplin was search functionality.  Ditto for most of the other PC options out there, Nimbus included.  Kind of basic to start and not easy to modify a search in progress.  Could be my lack of familiarity as well though.  And as I do quite a bit of searching (whether it is via Ctrl+Q or saved or the shortcuts bar or the magnifying glass in the shrunk left panel) ....  🤷‍♂️

Joplin now has a plugin that essentially mimics saved searches. Each search is stored as a note, and they auto update; can also be manually updated from menu. For the GTD minded, each of the GTD saved searches could be in a note tab, so you click on that tab (or keyboard over to it) and there is your saved search result. Or you could put them in a notebook, and only keep the ones you're working from in tabs.

What probably irks you with search (I don't know the correct terminology for these search designs so bear with me) is that Evernote will search as you type even a partial word and will match that partial word. So if you start in all notes, and start typing part of a word, for each letter you type, you can see EN is searching and narrowing down the note list. Joplin uses a different search design, so when you do the same thing, you go from all notes to zero notes because Joplin isn't matching partial words, and it's only once you get to a whole word that Joplin returns the results you are expecting. Would it make a big difference if you were new to both? Probably not. But since you're very accustomed to EN's search design, Joplin's feels awkward. For me, it's a small adjustment process I'm willing to work through in return for features listed earlier, among others, that EN does not have.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, tavor said:

oplin now has a plugin that essentially mimics saved searches. Each search is stored as a note, and they auto update; can also be manually updated from menu. For the GTD minded, each of the GTD saved searches could be in a note tab, so you click on that tab (or keyboard over to it) and there is your saved search result. Or you could put them in a notebook, and only keep the ones you're working from in tabs.

Good to know thanks.  Not to be Negative Nelly how that would dance with 60+ saved searches and 25+ shortcuts (15 of which are visible in the toolbar).  Though I suppose one could brute force it with AHK or the like.

2 hours ago, tavor said:

What probably irks you with search (I don't know the correct terminology for these search designs so bear with me) is that Evernote will search as you type even a partial word and will match that partial word. So if you start in all notes, and start typing part of a word, for each letter you type, you can see EN is searching and narrowing down the note list. Joplin uses a different search design, so when you do the same thing, you go from all notes to zero notes because Joplin isn't matching partial words, and it's only once you get to a whole word that Joplin returns the results you are expecting. Would it make a big difference if you were new to both? Probably not. But since you're very accustomed to EN's search design, Joplin's feels awkward. For me, it's a small adjustment process I'm willing to work through in return for features listed earlier, among others, that EN does not have.

There's showing results without hitting enter but there is also search information, the shrinking eligible tag list as you add tags to a search, and the ease of modifying the search in place.  If I was new to both I wouldn't know what I was missing in either until I perfected my use case.  One might be frustrating at that point.  But it's a use case thing.  To be clear, similar issues exist with V10, it's no picnic in today's form.  🤷‍♂️

• Level 5*
19 hours ago, CalS said:

Good to know thanks.  Not to be Negative Nelly how that would dance with 60+ saved searches and 25+ shortcuts (15 of which are visible in the toolbar).  Though I suppose one could brute force it with AHK or the like.

That's why I said earlier that you would pay for that $70 hamburger. 😁

For power users who have developed such an intricate system, moving to any other note app is quite a bit of work. And if you decided to undertake it, it's certainly not going to happen in one day. I've been test driving the app by importing some of my most recent notes from EN as well as creating all my new notes there. If and when I make the full move, it will be one notebook at a time. Then moving saved searches. Fortunately the tags will all be there as they come with the notes. For sure for a use case like  yours, and even for mine, staying with EN is easier, and I wouldn't even have looked elsewhere (and realized how much competition there is and how far they've come along in recent years) if they weren't dropping Local Notebooks - I'd have waited patiently for the features that EN doesn't yet have, but Joplin and other note apps do have. And it would be really easy for me to stay since Basic covers my current use case. But the elimination of Local Notebooks is a dealbreaker for me. So even the free hamburger doesn't cut it anymore, at least for me.

19 hours ago, CalS said:

There's showing results without hitting enter but there is also search information, the shrinking eligible tag list as you add tags to a search, and the ease of modifying the search in place.  If I was new to both I wouldn't know what I was missing in either until I perfected my use case.  One might be frustrating at that point.  But it's a use case thing.  To be clear, similar issues exist with V10, it's no picnic in today's form.  🤷‍♂️

Just to clarify, Joplin doesn't require you to hit enter to run the search, it just won't run a partial word search. As soon as you type a complete word (i.e., a word that exists in your notes), you'll get matches. With EN, you'll get matches if you type even part of a word that exists in your notes. With tags, even EN v6 won't partial word match. Edit: there is a another search option in Joplin that does do partial word, tag and notebook searches: 

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, tavor said:

That's why I said earlier that you would pay for that $70 hamburger.

Unless V10 has the most of the features I need when 6.25 bids adieu I won’t be paying $70 for the burger.  I have a viable Windows folders solution for my local notes if V10 works other than local notebooks.  Don’t want to do it but it would work.  Heck, I might even “air gap” a pc for a while.  🤪

2 hours ago, tavor said:

With tags, even EN v6 won't partial word match.

It will with the tag search dialog (Shift+Alt+T) or Ctrl+Q.  Start of the tag word anyway, or words if you set the option.  Unless I miss your point.  Windows 6.25.1. 

• Level 5*
On 1/16/2021 at 6:17 PM, tavor said:

And it would be really easy for me to stay since Basic covers my current use case. But the elimination of Local Notebooks is a dealbreaker for me. So even the free hamburger doesn't cut it anymore, at least for me.

I pay for my hamburgers   
The Legacy product addresses my current user case

I'll review the Version 10 product after it's more fully developed
I can work-around the Local Notebooks, but I have a set of must-have dealbreaker features    

>>And if you decided to undertake it, it's certainly not going to happen in one day. I've been test driving the app

Likewise; I've paid for alternative software (Devonthink) to fully test and implement an exit if/when required
My Plan B has always been a flat export of data in html format 

• Like 1
  • Level 5
18 hours ago, CalS said:

Place a link in another app and have the desktop version of EN display it when clicked

Surely the following approach already works for creating a link in common mac app's:

ctrl-alt-cmd-C

If you paste the link on the clipboard into the note itself the link text takes on the actual title of the note. Now if you copy this link into your external document it will retain the actual title.

An example:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s70/nl/7964446/93e148ac-79f3-dbca-baf7-eb1d212e4f3b?title=testing links

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

774533867_ScreenShot2021-01-17at8_29_18AM.thumb.png.2bc24bf5d0b790e8ed691a1e0a1454dd.png

• Level 5*
On 1/17/2021 at 7:36 AM, Peter Olins said:

Surely the following approach already works for creating a link in common mac app's:

Your example is showing web links   
In-app links (evernote;///view/...) are used to open in the Evernote app

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, Peter Olins said:

This stopped working in Windows 6.25.1 and if I read the forums does not work in the Windows V10.  But I could be wrong on the latter, memory being what it is.  🤷‍♂️

• Level 5
2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Your example is showing web links  

If I highlight and copy the "testing links" text, then paste it into a Pages document the link retains the title "testing links", which is just what I need (rather than the cryptic string of characters: evernote:///view/xyz..). Try it for yourself; it works.

(When I pasted in the png of my note, EN must have created a live web link on the discussion thread--not my intention)..

• Level 5*
36 minutes ago, Peter Olins said:

If I highlight and copy the "testing links" text, then paste it into a Pages document the link retains the title "testing links", which is just what I need (rather than the cryptic string of characters: evernote:///view/xyz..). Try it for yourself; it works.

Yes, pasting the link into a note, then copying from the note includes the note title

We're using the Copy Internal Link menu option, and pasting into an external app
- we have the choice of in-app or web link
- note title is not copied

afaik  the in-app link works when pasting into external apps

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, CalS said:

It will with the tag search dialog (Shift+Alt+T) or Ctrl+Q.  Start of the tag word anyway, or words if you set the option.  Unless I miss your point.  Windows 6.25.1. 

My bad. I was thinking performing a search of notes by tag, not a search of tags themselves.

Anyway, I discovered this morning that Joplin does have partial word search, partial tag search and partial notebook search. CTRL+P brings up this search - just starting typing and search runs as you type each letter. For tags, start with #, and for notebooks start with @.

I think you'll find it works in the manner you're accustomed to from years of EN use. Easy to try out since when you install Joplin, it includes some introductory and explanatory notes, so you can run search on those, no need to export from EN and import into Joplin just to mess around a little bit.

19 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Yes, pasting the link into a note, then copying from the note includes the note title

We're using the Copy Internal Link menu option, and pasting into an external app
- we have the choice of in-app or web link
- note title is not copied

afaik  the in-app link works when pasting into external apps

Maybe I am not properly following the recent discussions that this thread has evolved into (off-topic)... but Evernote v10.5+ DOES include an option to copy either "app link" or "web link"/.

When you copy "app link"... you can paste into another app or anywhere in format of evernote:///view.....  (at least on my Mac I can)

image.thumb.png.f1397d2a509a08e5117362823032f1d4.png

• Level 5*
31 minutes ago, tavor said:

My bad. I was thinking performing a search of notes by tag, not a search of tags themselves.

No biggie. 

Not to belabor the point, but Shift+Alt+T (or the Filter by tag icon) searches for notes by tag.  And you can drill down so to speak.  After you select a tag you are presented with any tags on all notes that have the tags thus far selected. 

Example, I have a $tatement tag for all statement notes.  After I select that tag I am presented with all the other tags in notes containing the $tatement tag.  And the list of notes shrinks as I add tags.  So $<enter> followed by amex<enter> yields all notes tagged with $tatement and Amex in the note list.

Example of !p gets me when using the Shift+Alt+T.

ScreenClip.png.a19f1dd80b22f50fba4f8c38ce59d2f0.png