Evernote opening off screen to the right, cannot access window

Go to solution Solved by WiringHarness,

I noticed someone else had this same problem, but the post shows "Solved" by uninstalling and re-installing.  This didn't work for me.  

I am not sure if this is a Windows issue or Evernote (never had this problem before all the recent Evernote updates though).    I have tried:

Uninstall and reinstall
Alt+Tab (I can SEE the Evernote window open when I do this)
Task View (and all the view/move options under that)
Checked Windows display settings to make sure second monitor not set up (it's not)

Not sure what else I can do!

Any suggestions much appreciated.   

Hi, I have exactly the same problem having installed the 10.5.7 build.

Notes indicate they have opened in a new window but getting to them is impossible.

They even stay open when you close Evernote down, but nothing shows on the Windows desktop when you click on them.

• Solution

Do you have a "Windows" key?  Alt-Tab so that EN is the current window (even though it's off-screen, and use the Windows key with the arrow buttons, Left, right, up, down. Left/right should move your window to the current monitor and Up/Down will maximize/minimize it.  At some point you should be able to get control of the window and move it back where you want it.

• Like 1
On 1/18/2021 at 1:04 PM, WiringHarness said:

Do you have a "Windows" key?  Alt-Tab so that EN is the current window (even though it's off-screen, and use the Windows key with the arrow buttons, Left, right, up, down. Left/right should move your window to the current monitor and Up/Down will maximize/minimize it.  At some point you should be able to get control of the window and move it back where you want it.

Yep, that did it!   Thanks!!!   Playing around with the Windows key until I got the Evernote window to appear, then I just clicked maximize and it stayed visible.  Woo hoo!!

• Like 1

Actually I am having the same problem again and can't figure out exactly how I got it to work before.  Windows key plus arrows did not work.  I somehow stumbled across getting it to work before by using the TASK VIEW button on the task bar.  

Here's a more permanent fix:  if you have an icon for Evernote on your desktop, right click, and go to PROPERTIES, click on the SHORT CUT tab, and make sure the RUN field shows MAXIMIZED.  This solved the problem for me without having to maneuver the window every time I opened it.

• Like 1
  • 10 months later...

I'm pretty sure I've figured out what's going on, at least for me.  My issue isn't with the main Evernote window, it's with notes that I open in a new window.

I have two monitors.  My primary display is in landscape orientation and my secondary display is in portrait.  The secondary display is off to the side, and I use it to glance at notes, screenshots, and other reference material.  My main Evernote window runs on the primary display and the individual notes are almost always on the secondary display.

When Evernote closes, it saves the relative position of the note windows.  But when it opens note windows, it opens them on whatever monitor the main Evernote window is running on.  Here's the scenario that creates the problem:  I have the main Evernote window running on my primary landscape display and a random note window open in the upper area of my secondary portrait display.  If I completely close all Evernote windows, relaunch Evernote on my primary landscape display, and then re-open the individual note window, it will open on the primary landscape display at the same relative position it was on the secondary portrait display.  This position can easily be off the screen and inaccessible.  No clever Windows shortcuts seem to resolve this once it occurs, nor does closing the re-opening Evernote, since that creates the problem in the first place.

To fix this, close the individual note windows from the Windows taskbar.  Move the main Evernote window completely over to the offending display, in my case the secondary portrait display.  Then open your note in a new window.  It should open at the same relative position it was at previously, but now on the portrait display.  The window is now accessible.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Thanks for posting - sounds like a special configuration creates that problem.

Just a few things that crossed my mind while reading: Even if the new note window is off screen, can’t you activate it by using the tabulator key ? What happens if you close it then by keyboard command ? No chance to move a window through the arrow keys ? Maybe a setting in accessibility could help.

Ah, I now realize why Windows Key + Left / Right arrow wasn't working for me.  I have Snap Windows disabled.  If you have that option enabled then, yes, Windows Key + Left / Right arrow does work to snap the window and then grab/resize from there.  Mysteries solved :)

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Chiming in here, as I had this problem and nothing in this thread was helpful.  Evernote was "somewhere" off screen.  I could see it via the task bar, Alt-Tab, and the Task View, but nothing would bring it onto my monitors.  Win+Arrows did not help.  Killing the app and reopening it did not help.  Disconnecting all my extra monitors did not help.  Flipping Window Snap settings did not help.  The only way I was able to get the app to come back was to use Win+ArrowRight to snap a DIFFERENT app on my main monitor.  When Windows presented the UI to select a 2nd window to snap left, I chose Evernote and it finally came back.  Wonder of wonders, now that I've found the black magic required to get it to behave correctly, it seems to respect the Win+Arrow keys again.  

Anecdotally, I know the Evernote team has been on this journey to rearchitect their code base over the last couple years and all that, but man, this application still has odd and frustrating behavior like this that NO OTHER APPLICATION on my machine exhibits.  It's fishy, and smells to me like the application is not conforming to some Windows development standards that virtually all other applications conform to. 

For a tool that is centered on productivity, it is sometimes very unproductive to use.  Instead of adding a quick recipe like I intended, I instead had to spend my time trolling forums and trying to get it to simply be useable.  This is a very poor user experience.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5

Hi All,

I'm further investigating into this issue, but it may be possible that this issue stems from OS level settings.

If you're still encountering this problem, can you try the troubleshooting steps outlined here:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/some-programs-are-displayed-off-the-screen-b2a915b7-4705-c455-febf-8ddb6e7f0ae4

Let us know if the problem still persists.

On 1/6/2022 at 10:32 AM, Matt Hartzell said:

Anecdotally, I know the Evernote team has been on this journey to rearchitect their code base over the last couple years and all that, but man, this application still has odd and frustrating behavior like this that NO OTHER APPLICATION on my machine exhibits.  It's fishy, and smells to me like the application is not conforming to some Windows development standards that virtually all other applications conform to.

They're using the Electron framework like dozens of other desktop applications.  Electron is known for being slow and bloated, but I don't typically have window position issues.  Then again, Evernote is the only Electron application I use where I always have multiple windows open.  Who knows... software is complicated.

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...
On 1/18/2021 at 7:04 PM, WiringHarness said:

Nice idea. Didn't work for me. 

On 1/27/2021 at 6:55 PM, BruceInCola said:

Actually I am having the same problem again and can't figure out exactly how I got it to work before.  Windows key plus arrows did not work.  I somehow stumbled across getting it to work before by using the TASK VIEW button on the task bar.  

Here's a more permanent fix:  if you have an icon for Evernote on your desktop, right click, and go to PROPERTIES, click on the SHORT CUT tab, and make sure the RUN field shows MAXIMIZED.  This solved the problem for me without having to maneuver the window every time I opened it.

OK, I'll try that. Nope, didn't work. 

On 1/6/2022 at 4:32 PM, Matt Hartzell said:

Chiming in here, as I had this problem and nothing in this thread was helpful.  Evernote was "somewhere" off screen.  I could see it via the task bar, Alt-Tab, and the Task View, but nothing would bring it onto my monitors.  Win+Arrows did not help.  Killing the app and reopening it did not help.  Disconnecting all my extra monitors did not help.  Flipping Window Snap settings did not help.  The only way I was able to get the app to come back was to use Win+ArrowRight to snap a DIFFERENT app on my main monitor.  When Windows presented the UI to select a 2nd window to snap left, I chose Evernote and it finally came back.  Wonder of wonders, now that I've found the black magic required to get it to behave correctly, it seems to respect the Win+Arrow keys again.  

For a tool that is centered on productivity, it is sometimes very unproductive to use.  Instead of adding a quick recipe like I intended, I instead had to spend my time trolling forums and trying to get it to simply be useable.  This is a very poor user experience.

Yes, that one worked !

Thank you so much Matt. 

Using Win11, I had the problem on my main Evernote window, just after accepting an update on the software. I had never experienced anything like this, so clearly linked directly to that update to :

10.47.7-win-ddl-public (3730)
Editor: v159.2.19536
Service: v1.59.4
© 2019 - 2022 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

• Level 5

The forum exchanges experience and ideas among users. Obviously this worked for you, since you found a solution here.  The forum discussion will not initiate any action by EN.

If you want to discuss anything with EN, issue a support ticket.

• 3 months later...
On 1/27/2021 at 11:25 PM, BruceInCola said:

Hello peeps from the future. If you come across this thread look into this solution. This is what worked for me. Also, after enabling this setting you can go ahead and disable it and Evernote will load like how it always does. 

EV - Guys pls look into this. Its been years. 

• 3 weeks later...

OMG this has been one of the worst aspects of Evernote for me.  Finally got fed up today.  Took forever to find a solution.  The above didn't work because for whatever reason, my Win11 Pro version doesn't (easily?) allow me to drag icons onto the deskop... doesn't allow cascading of windows... just a mess.  But I did have Evernote in my taskbar and this is what worked:

1. Hover over the taskbar icon
  2. Select the missing window with mouse
  3. Press the Windows key and hold
  4. Click different arrow keys to see which one snaps the window back. The left and right keys have worked for me, but I suspect it depends on where your missing window is in virtual space
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem but only when the main Evernote screen is maximized. IF the main Evernote Screen is maximized, when I double-click on a note, the note will appear on a second monitor that's no longer hooked up to my PC. IF the main Evernote Screen is Windowed, then the problem goes away and the note opens up as it should. I hope this works for others as well. 

On 2/26/2023 at 12:31 AM, Anthony Moor said:

OMG this has been one of the worst aspects of Evernote for me.  Finally got fed up today.  Took forever to find a solution.  The above didn't work because for whatever reason, my Win11 Pro version doesn't (easily?) allow me to drag icons onto the deskop... doesn't allow cascading of windows... just a mess.  But I did have Evernote in my taskbar and this is what worked:

1. Hover over the taskbar icon
  2. Select the missing window with mouse
  3. Press the Windows key and hold
  4. Click different arrow keys to see which one snaps the window back. The left and right keys have worked for me, but I suspect it depends on where your missing window is in virtual space

This didn't work for me, but another suggestion from the same Microsoft thread worked:

Hold down Alt+Space-bar and then press the M key too. Let go of all the keys.

I just spent 1.5+ hrs trying to fix this after a month or so of losing productivity by sometimes having to access most notes most times only in the main window.  Sometimes I could get one or more notes up in child windows but usually by the time I went to them one or twice they would disappear.  I am running Windows 10 and Evernote 10.54.4 (latest). 

I tried all the methods in this thread. Most did not work for me, and no single solution worked for all my windows.  Matt's solution above worked for one note, and the other solution was in a MS thread which I have included below referencing Matt's.  Quite possibly I will find other hidden windows that need new tricks to get them back... until Evernote gets this sorted out and saves us all a bunch of time.

Matt's worked partially (worked to get one of my missing windows back):

On 1/6/2022 at 10:32 AM, Matt Hartzell said:

=====

To get my last window to display I used this method (https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/693740/how-do-i-get-access-to-my-window-need-cascade-wind). But even then, while using this method I had to use my mouse and possibly the arrow keys at the same time... not really sure...:

user-profile.png
Gijs Mos21Reputation points
Jan 13, 2022, 5:37 AM

Actually found a way.

• hover over the app's icon on the task-bar. Thumbnails of all its windows will open.
  • Hover over the one that is (partially) off-screen, and right click. The windows "position" menu will open.
  • Select Move and use the arrow keys to get the window back on screen.

Obviously you would still need a small piece of the window already on screen to see what the arrow keys do.

=====

Strange though that sometimes even after doing the above methods, the same windows will disappear again, and I have to use similar methods to bring them back.

• 1 month later...

Also having this issue where EN v10 opens individual notes into a child window the external 4K monitor  (display #2) attached to my laptop (display #1) where display #1 is the desired screen to open on.  So tried a variety of the solutions listed above.

My desktop:
              Display #2  ----- Display #1

The child window was opening to the far left on display #2.

I had tried the HOVER method while the external monitor was connected and while I could move the child window over to the laptop it did not change the open position permanently. 

The Windows key + movement arrows works when the external monitor is connected but when the external monitor was disconnected this method did NOT work. All notes continued to open where the display #2 had been.  I tried all 4 arrows and may simply of not been diligent in ensuring I was not moving the child window further away but for the first attempt I did use Win + arrow in the same keystrokes as when it was successful earlier.

>> With the monitor still disconnected, I tried the HOVER method over the task bar icon and brought the child window back to display #1 - it took a while for it to travel back as it had been opening as far away as it could get from the boundary to the laptop screen.  Closed the window.  Double clicked a different note.  It opened on the correct display #1.

>>  Reconnected the external monitor and opened a note in a new child window.  It opened on the correct display #1 !!!

It appears the HOVER method may reset the open position when/if the  external monitor is disconnected.

I tried dragging over a note from display #1 to #2 and closing it on #2 to see if that causes it to re-open on #2.  Not today but there is always tomorrow for the EN magic to bless my keyboard.

Crossing my fingers as I wrap up this work week.  🙂

Edit:  Doh!!!  When I maximized EN it started placing the child window back on display #2.  As soon as I "Restored Down" it would open on display #1.   Earlier it did not matter if EN was max'ed or restored down - it always put the window on display #2.

• 2 months later...

My problem is that I use my laptop with a single screen AND sometimes with two extenal monitors, one on each side. I go back and forth from one monitor to three.

I never know where the Evernote app was open last ... right screen or left screen? 

So, HOW ABOUT the devleopers fix this long-standing issue?