Evernote kinda sucks...

Nothing works the way it’s supposed to.  I’ve used Evernote for years and it never really got better.

examples:

1. On my iPad, Evernote randomly loses my place in the note and takes me back to the beginning.  

2. On my iPad, sometimes when I select text I want to format with a different color, when I select the color I want, the screen glitches and it takes me to another section, and the wrong text is selected and formatted.  I have to undo this change and go back to where I was before.

3. On my Mac,  Command + V doesn’t work for paste.  No shortcuts work.  I have to use the mouse. 

4. many more I can’t think of.  For a while I would get errors trying to paste images. 

I feel like these should not be issues.  It doesn’t help that they have basically no customer service, just email, which is a waste of time.  The moment something more reliable with similar features appears, I’m switching.  These guys need better coders. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5
3 hours ago, acpitt said:

Nothing works the way it’s supposed to.  I’ve used Evernote for years and it never really got better.

The moment something more reliable with similar features appears, I’m switching.  These guys need better coders. 

I wonder if you are that unhappy what keeps you staying on ?

Probably you should define your use cases, and which features you really need. If you can only find them in EN, maybe take a harder look. If you get them somewhere else, give it a try. To me it makes no sense to say „I am locked in, they have such outstanding features“ and one sentence later blame the coders for all sadness of using the software.

By the way, some of your problems I can’t reproduce (like text glitching away on iPad, or cmd-v not working on the Mac). Text selection is always more sensitive when done by touch control, in any program, and cmd-v is pasting, if there is anything to paste on the clipboard. If it doesn’t paste, there is probably nothing clipped to paste.

Take responsibility, these are your decisions, not anything imposted by others. You are the only person who knows what’s good for you. Whether you stay or you move on - do it with confidence and a smile on your face !

On 1/14/2021 at 4:17 PM, PinkElephant said:

I wonder if you are that unhappy what keeps you staying on ?

Probably you should define your use cases, and which features you really need. If you can only find them in EN, maybe take a harder look. If you get them somewhere else, give it a try. To me it makes no sense to say „I am locked in, they have such outstanding features“ and one sentence later blame the coders for all sadness of using the software.

By the way, some of your problems I can’t reproduce (like text glitching away on iPad, or cmd-v not working on the Mac). Text selection is always more sensitive when done by touch control, in any program, and cmd-v is pasting, if there is anything to paste on the clipboard. If it doesn’t paste, there is probably nothing clipped to paste.

Take responsibility, these are your decisions, not anything imposted by others. You are the only person who knows what’s good for you. Whether you stay or you move on - do it with confidence and a smile on your face !

I am a paying customer and have been for many years.  The reason I stay is because there is nothing better out there, without some major limitations, sadly.  I'm not sure why. 

It doesn't take away from the fact that Evernote does kinda suck. It only has to do a few things, it's not some complex graphic intensive software.  It just has to handle basic things like Copy/Paste, and a few shortcuts, and it can't even handle that.  

Just look at all the people having issues with the latest "update": 

Certain Shortcuts Not Working - Evernote for Windows Issues (Versions 10.0 and above) - Evernote User Forum

I also discovered Ctrl + B doesn't work on my Windows laptop.  I could give them some slack if these issues only happened on one platform, but they seem to happen across platforms.  So they really do need better coders, and I can say that with 100% confidence because I'm paying for a simple service and I need simple & accurate results.  I'm not paying for a program that lists X amount of features to realize a portion of them don't work correctly.  If I lease a car, I'm not paying for the radio to be broken and the left passenger window to not work.  Yes, the overall "machine" works, but it's flawed.  

Shortcuts not working and glitches are to be expected in versions 0.x - 1.x,  not 10.x...  This is pathetic. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Personally I run my setup on legacy on desktop (mainly Mac in my case, I have a Win10 PC as well, with another legacy client) plus EN iOS 10.4 on my i-devices. Why should I bother myself with doing this or that on v10, if the desktop apps are still not complete ?

There is no reason to „must have“ v10 on Win or Mac - it is a personal decision to do so. I run a v10 just to know, not for real work.

There are alternatives (IMHO better ones for Mac users than for Windows), but for my use cases EN is the tool of choice. Not with v10 yet, but I am not forced (and not forcing myself) to go down this road.

• 6 months later...

Folks ask why do we stay in Evernote if it sucks so bad. I have 11 years of notes, millions of words, on Evernote. That is why. I use it on a full range of platforms (Android, iOS, MacOS, Windows). The experience is so uneven. The product feels like it is in constant beta.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, OrangeTuba said:

I use it on a full range of platforms (Android, iOS, MacOS, Windows). The experience is so uneven. The product feels like it is in constant beta.

My impression is Evernote's new v10 product is designed to more "even" the platforms   
The v10 product is a work-in-progress; the Legacy product feels less "beta"

• Like 2

I think v10 has been really good. Yes, there are functions that still haven't made it across the void from Legacy to v10 (Apple Watch support....I'm looking at you!)

However, having a much more consistent UI on all platforms makes a big difference. It's also great to have much more regular app updates once again after nearly 2 years of darkness. The time in limbo made me wonder if I should jump ship (I tried every other alternative and none came close to EN) but I am glad I stayed.

• Like 3