Web Clipper Alternatives?

Hi,

rely heavily on the web clipper and search function for my research and writing. EN legacy worked very well - in part because URL's would be visible when you first look at the note. The new version of EN in my view is less user friendly - my old notes no longer have web links (unless you click 3 or 4 times in note info). Even new clippings require two clicks to get to the web page.

I tried Notion and Zoho notes but they have not worked for me. Any recommendations (apart from staying with legacy)?

I am a Mac / ioS user.

Thanks.

• Level 5*

Hi.  My first suggestion would be to stay with Legacy,  but Workflowy now has a clipper,  and IMHO is a great way to rapidly clip and sort web research into relevant chunks... https://blog.workflowy.com/2020/07/20/workflowy-web-clipper-a-smoother-way-to-research/

WFClipper works on Google Chrome and any Chrome-based browser I've tried so far - Vivaldi / Brave / Sidekick.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, RNRNRN said:

Hi,

rely heavily on the web clipper and search function for my research and writing. EN legacy worked very well - in part because URL's would be visible when you first look at the note. The new version of EN in my view is less user friendly - my old notes no longer have web links (unless you click 3 or 4 times in note info). Even new clippings require two clicks to get to the web page.

I tried Notion and Zoho notes but they have not worked for me. Any recommendations (apart from staying with legacy)?

I am a Mac / ioS user.

Thanks.

you might want to look at devonthink...have moved over in october and am very happy...with all of it, their clipper included...other folks here have recommended keepit (mac) and joplin (mac & windows).

Joplin's webclipper is really good and much faster than evernote's webclipper. But unfortunately it also requires multiple clicks to follow a note URL

I would also like it to take only one click to follow the URLs in Evernote.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Thanks for the tips. I tested Joplin and it shows promise, but I agree with Vstk about clicks.

Then there was a new Evernote update a few weeks ago, so I gave it another shot, and the web link issue was finally fixed. It was working fine.

However, with the latest update, I notice now that the web clipper always goes to the inbox even when "Use smart filing" is the option chosen...

Sigh...

• 2 weeks later...

While testing EN alternatives I discovered that what many apps call their 'web clipper' were nothing more than a bookmarking tool, instead of saving the entire page as a note like EN. I'm kinda resigned to the idea that I won't find a perfect EN replacement so am now in the process of getting comfortable with using a few apps for different purposes.

For web clippings, I make a point these days to 'save a permanent copy' when bookmarking web pages with raindrop.io (my bookmarking tool). Premium users get to use this permanent copy function. From the 'preview' screen it takes 1 button click to open/expand the page. I believe a 'notes' and 'annotation' function are also in the roadmap. In general I'm really impressed by how fast the raindrop dev is bringing out new features so I have faith that it will get even more intuitive as time goes by. I've also bookmarked Diigo to test out soon. Premium users there also get the 'archived web pages' feature, but for now I can't vouch for this app yet.

I won't claim the above suggestions are in any way an elegant replacement for EN's web clipper but hopefully it gives you a few more options.