This text won't paste into Evernote

I'd been experiencing a strange problem -- I was trying to copy a large block of simple text from notepad into Evernote (original source was a series of comments online). For some reason it just wouldn't paste. Tried a new note, closing/reopening Evernote, no luck. The overall size of the text was a few hundred kilobytes so it wasn't a size limit issue.

I started copying it in smaller segments and eventually narrowed it down to a single character that was stopping it. Not even a visible character. I copied the text into pastebin in a note here: https://pastebin.com/yEXSYcNQ

the line in that paste is this: This will not paste into Evernote

and if you view it in Pastebin and cursor across it you'll notice that your cursor makes two moves between "paste" and "into". There's some kind of unicode character or break or something in there that cannot be pasted into Evernote. Interestingly the string can *exist* in Notepad but I can't *save* it in Notepad or I get a message about unicode characters in TXT files, so that's why I put it in Pastebin.

Is this a known issue?

I'm using 6.25.1.9091 (309091) Public (CE Build ce-62.6.10954)

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, jshanker said:

Is this a known issue?

Hi.  You're looking for the ability to paste random characters into notes?

The character you're querying comes up as LS in notepad++ (Line Separator) which according to this comment is 'not widely supported'.  So I guess someone somewhere added a random rogue character to the text which caused an issue.  It's never happened to me before in 12+ years of using Evernote,  although there are many other reasons why copy/ paste doesn't work so well on odd occasions. 

As you already have,  I tend to find ways around that when it happens...

@gazumped Thanks for the reply. It's not that I want the ability to paste random characters into notes :-) but rather that this character was included in a Facebook comment that I was attempting to save into a note. Here's a screenshot of where it occurred, after the characters "younger."JUAbneM.png

I can select up to the period and copy/paste fine. I can select starting at https and copy/paste fine. But if my selection spans that line, I can copy but not paste into Evernote. I can paste into Notepad, or Word, but then if I copy/paste it still won't make it into Evernote.

I mentioned it here because as you can imagine if the character (which is not visible) occurred throughout a thread it would be nearly impossible to determine why it was not copying/pasting into Evernote. I was able to find it because there was only one but if it had occurred frequently I suspect that would be quite a mystery to a user.

To @PinkElephant the characters won't paste into a code block either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

I'm going to have have to change my signature to something like "I had my patience tested.  I'm negative" - I'd try to clip that once. Then I'd screenshot it and paste the image,  with a 'copy link location' for the URL.  I tend not to wonder or worry why things don't happen - I must be an engineer at heart;  if it don't work first time I use a bigger hammer...  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
29 minutes ago, gazumped said:

I must be an engineer at heart;  if it don't work first time I use a bigger hammer... 

Wait. Wat???

It should be: if it don't work 5th time I use a bigger hammer... 

• Haha 1
  • Level 5*
45 minutes ago, gazumped said:

I'm going to have have to change my signature to something like "I had my patience tested.  I'm negative" - I'd try to clip that once. Then I'd screenshot it and paste the image,  with a 'copy link location' for the URL.  I tend not to wonder or worry why things don't happen - I must be an engineer at heart;  if it don't work first time I use a bigger hammer...  😉

Sounds more like you are a manager at heart.  Engineers compulse on stuff.  :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Just tried to paste it myself.

It works in every combination: Copied from the posting and from pastebin, pasted into EN legacy and v10.5.7. The note I pasted into synced, nothing crashed, everything as it should be.

When pasted into CotEditor, it says it is Unicode 8bit, and the special charakter is there, right in front  of the „p“.

Maybe the Mac as being an Unixoid OS is simply better equipped to handle stuff like this.

8 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Just tried to paste it myself.

It works in every combination: Copied from the posting and from pastebin, pasted into EN legacy and v10.5.7. The note I pasted into synced, nothing crashed, everything as it should be.

When pasted into CotEditor, it says it is Unicode 8bit, and the special charakter is there, right in front  of the „p“.

Maybe the Mac as being an Unixoid OS is simply better equipped to handle stuff like this.

Just to clarify, you're only talking about the MacOS client, correct?

I've pasted it into multiple programs in Windows (Word, Notepad, etc) and it pastes fine, it's only Evernote Windows that won't take it.