Information lost after editing note in Ipad

Good day

I have been using your app since 2014. Today I went to site and spent the entire day taking photos and making measurements of walls for a large painting job. I have been using an Ipad with a cover for years. After taking yet another batch of photos and adding notes to it I looked at my IPAD and all that was reflecting is photos. It was showing all the photos and text perfectly throughout the day. I have spent hours of the day in the sun, measuring up every small detail of an entire Nursery for children and all the typed information is missing. I always make a few notes, then take photos through the app afterwards, close the cover, walk to the next area then open up the cover and continue. I have never had an issue with missing edited notes since I loaded the app in 2014.

I am now at risk of losing a potential job through a client because of submitting a quote to a client late, and the client possibly going with another contractor. I have gone through your forums and read all the suggestions to retrieve missing data and I am not coming right. I did not delete the note and I have never done so, so it is not in my trash folders on my IPAD or in Web Evernote. I see this is obviously an issue with a recent software update that has affected many users. I will be needing assistance to retrieve this missing information urgently please....

• Level 5

Did you have an internet connection while working on your project ?

Because probably the only way to get things back is if they had already synced to the server.

If the content was only saved locally, the note  history feature does not work, because it did never receive the data. To access note history, you have to be on a Premium account - but it is running on basic accounts as well, it just does not let you use it. If the notes did sync, you could go Premium for a month and try to find your data.

If the notes were not synced, I don’t know a way to retrieve them on the iPad. Maybe (but very maybe) going Premium could move something, because it would up the note size limit from 25MB to 200MB. But it is a wide shot, maybe worth a try if nothing else works.

In general a basic account should not be used for professional use: Very limited data allowance, missing features,  no technical support.

When building notes, avoid that one single fat new note. Create several smaller notes, each with a part of the project, and join them later, or create a TOC with fast links to open the smaller notes from there.

• Sad 1

Good day and thanks for your assistance. I had an internet connection at the time of creating the note. I do use a basic account but I've never seen the need to upgrade as I run my own business and am the sole Director so I don't need access to a lot of features on this app for staff. I am self employed you see. Through all my time using the app I never had an issue with data limitations but I wonder what happened with my text edits all disappearing at once. In the past I have taken quite a few photos and added notes per project and there were no issues. 

I am debating whether to upgrade for a month to check the history. I'll give it a try but it will hopefully help. If I do manage to retrieve the data it's unlikely I will stick with Evernote after such a dis-heartening day. 

Thanks 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

You need to define what‘s your use case. As I mentioned above, creating more and smaller notes reduces the risk of data loss. Since on an iPad everything runs in sandboxes, and the files app does not allow universal access, it is practically impossible to find and retrieve data lost by the primary app on which it was created.

Maybe take a look at Apple Notes, as a fast and readily available option. I would not compare it 1:1 with EN, but for many things it is quite up to the task. Notes can hold Text, pictures, drawings and the like. You can even send a note you did in Apple Notes to EN by sharing, to process it further there.

• Sad 1
16 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Did you have an internet connection while working on your project ?

Because probably the only way to get things back is if they had already synced to the server.

If the content was only saved locally, the note  history feature does not work, because it did never receive the data. To access note history, you have to be on a Premium account - but it is running on basic accounts as well, it just does not let you use it. If the notes did sync, you could go Premium for a month and try to find your data.

If the notes were not synced, I don’t know a way to retrieve them on the iPad. Maybe (but very maybe) going Premium could move something, because it would up the note size limit from 25MB to 200MB. But it is a wide shot, maybe worth a try if nothing else works.

In general a basic account should not be used for professional use: Very limited data allowance, missing features,  no technical support.

When building notes, avoid that one single fat new note. Create several smaller notes, each with a part of the project, and join them later, or create a TOC with fast links to open the smaller notes from there.

So your answer is to not use the app as intended

I posted here because I needed help and I thanked you for your advice. I was being honest about how detrimental to me it had been that this happened. How was my post bad in any way? Do you know I could lose a project because of this and that work is scarce at the moment because of the epidemic? I have already left Evernote don't you worry and you have also left a bad taste in my mouth after this whole ordeal. Have a good life

• 1 year later...

I’m sorry this happened…with losing data and a potential job and I have experienced similar problems, particularly with ipad and longer notes since fall of 2020 that I have used in work situations  (but as it had just been those two factors, I am still using the app and have figured out some workarounds for the overall value of Evernote and what I have invested in it) 

A couple of suggestions (while I hope Evernote comes up with a permanent solution):

1) when editing or writing on a longer note, I will sometimes take a moment, select the content in the whole note, copy it and then give it a moment to sync up before going on. Again, this is only for more lengthy notes on my iPad. Typically it is best to wait until green and white syncing arrows disappear. I did that this morning with a work project.

2) something I have used, but might implement more, is the Fastever app, which connects directly into Evernote—it syncs quickly, does pictures and typing and again could be a potential temporary solution for this without having to get rid of Evernote and start all over. Fastever has regular updates-in fact, I recall that they had one this week. I would experiment with this first. I did try it and it worked quickly, BUT it does not include the more sophisticated font and size options. However, for an on the fly job, it might be able to get your data permanently into the system for you to be able to do slight/final edits later.

I hope this helps. 

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...

I'm going to resurrect this thread because the SAME thing has happened to me TWICE on my iPad in the past six months.  I use a cellular data iPad so it's always connected, and on both occasions I lost a tremendous amount of data inexplicably.  Much like the OP, I simply finished taking notes, closed the cover on my iPad, and when I reopened it, the content had reverted to a snapshot in time about 1/3 the way in of created said note.

I pay a healthy monthly fee for the assurance that the platform is stable...I'm losing confidence in even using the software.  Very disappointing.

• Level 5

The green swash is the equivalent to a „Save“ action on other computers / apps.

Simply closing the lid on an iPad without hitting the green swash first is exiting without saving. Pieces of literature, the world formula and the secret of EN syncing, all that has been lost to not saving notes in the past.

So hit the swash , then leave.

• Level 5

Nobody said anybody needs to apologize.

Anybody can use the app as he thinks it is good for his use case.

So, if your use case is „take a note and keep it secret forever“ or „take a note and forget it“ or „take a note and how did this Undo All work ?“, you are doing fine by avoiding this green swash before you close the lid.

Bravo EN you have forseen these rather unusual use cases !

For the rest of us who like to keep what they laid down: Hit the swash BEFORE you close the lid, or the app.

Simple enough, I would say.

On 9/30/2022 at 5:21 PM, PinkElephant said:

The green swash is the equivalent to a „Save“ action on other computers / apps.

Simply closing the lid on an iPad without hitting the green swash first is exiting without saving. Pieces of literature, the world formula and the secret of EN syncing, all that has been lost to not saving notes in the past.

So hit the swash , then leave.

Incorrect.  I never closed the app.  Closing the lid simply turns off the display, it doesn't close the app (you understand how iOS works, right?).  Evernote is SET UP to automatically save, but even if it didn't, under what scenario would the app ever REMOVE information and revert back to an earlier version?  This is a software issue, not a user issue.