When will M1 compatibility fixed? I can't continue to pay for a software that is completely unusable. 

Evernote 10 is beyond absolutely useless on any new Mac. Mine has gone from being slow AF to now not even opening.

I just bought a new MacBook Air M1 with new Apple silicon. After I installed Evernote and Evernote Web Clipper - Safari started crashing repeatedly, rendering the new laptop basically useless.

During the last 5 days I spent three 2-hours long (!) online sessions with Apple support, which reviewed my system, deleted numerous items from Library, generated crash and diagnostic reports to be sent to Apple in USA. Apple concluded - based on crash reports - that the problem stemmed from Evernote Web Clipper (their words - not mine).  

Per their instructions I erased the SDD disc and re-installed Mac OS - at least twice. Nothing helped - Safari kept crashing. I end up returning the new MacBook as it is unusable for me without Safari.

At the same time Evernote and Web Clipper work perfectly well on my old MacBook Air 2018 with Big Sur. 

I now have a choice of not buying the new MacBook Air M1 - which I really want - if I decide to stay with Evernote -

or buying it and deciding to resign from using Evernote and switching to One Note perhaps.

Unless: Can Evernote propose some technical solution now or in the very near future? 

Has anybody had a similar experience? any solutions / suggestions?

• Level 5

Safari/Web Clipper is working perfectly for me on an M1 mac and an older Intel one running macOS 11.1.

Is EN behaving normally, apart from web-clipping?

Is WC working for other browsers such as Chrome, Firefox, Opera?

Presumably you have tried uninstalling the Safari WC extension, downloading a fresh copy of the WC app, and then re-installing on Safari? This worked for me a few months ago when Safari/WC was misbehaving (macOS 10.15.7).

Thanks a lot for this info and the tip. That's reassuring - perhaps my new MBA will eventually work well and will permit me to use EN and WC.

I did try reinstalling WC extension - did not help. At the same time EN app worked OK on the same MBA.

And since Apple Support could not have helped me during 3 sessions, and Safari kept crashing, I returned the new MacBook Air. But I immediately ordered a new one (also new M1 chip) - arriving by the end of Jan.

I will try installing EN and WC on it - and will hope for the best...

If I have any further issues with EN / WC - I will come back here with questions (hopefully not...). 

But thanks again for the current advice - much appreciated.

• Level 5
On 1/12/2021 at 2:20 AM, iamck said:

When will M1 compatibility fixed?

I'm not sure your issue is with the M1 mac. Are you working with a brand new machine, without all your old EN files? If so, EN has to install a completely new database in the "~/Library/Application Support" folder. Depending on the amount of data, this can take a long time, and EN performance can be temporarily impaired. 

(I have a hunch that changes in the database may be the source of some of the performance problems that have been reported after moving to EN 10+, including downloading app updates from the App store versus directly from EN).

• Level 5
On 1/17/2021 at 4:27 AM, Wald said:

I will try installing EN and WC on it - and will hope for the best...

Just beware that unless you are simply transferring all your files from another machine, a fresh installation of EN on a "virgin" machine can take some time to build the database (days, in my case).

• Like 1
On 1/18/2021 at 3:56 PM, Peter Olins said:

I'm not sure your issue is with the M1 mac. Are you working with a brand new machine, without all your old EN files? If so, EN has to install a completely new database in the "~/Library/Application Support" folder. Depending on the amount of data, this can take a long time, and EN performance can be temporarily impaired. 

(I have a hunch that changes in the database may be the source of some of the performance problems that have been reported after moving to EN 10+, including downloading app updates from the App store versus directly from EN).

On 1/18/2021 at 4:01 PM, Peter Olins said:

Just beware that unless you are simply transferring all your files from another machine, a fresh installation of EN on a "virgin" machine can take some time to build the database (days, in my case).

Thanks again for further tips. I was working with a new MBA M1 machine - and building it as a new MacBook (i.e. NOT restoring from TimeMachine). I wanted to avoid any potential 'legacy' issues on a new Mac.

The suggestion that a new EN database needs a lot of time to be re-built on a new machine sounds reasonable to me - and perhaps indeed it may have been the cause of my problems...?

When I get the new MBA I will again set it up as a new machine. Then I will install EN - and I will wait a couple of days to let it 'build itself' on a new Mac - before installing EN Web Clipper. 

I will come back here to let you know if the solution worked - or perhaps if the new Mac M1 just worked well with EN....

• Like 1