Search in longer PDFs over all notes does not work correctly

Go to solution Solved by petzi53,

With dismay I noticed that the new macOS premium version does not find text in longer documents (PDFs) anymore. It still works with the Legacy version and search also works inside a note. But it does not work over all notebooks. I have my notebooks in folders organised. Maybe this is a problem with the new version? Or it has to do with the new display of longer documents, where just the first side is visible and one has to turn pages to see the other pages.

Do other people experience the same problem?

Peter

• Level 5

We have just analyzed a search issue with text in pictures. Conclusion: It may take some hours until search is working for recently added content that needs to be OCRed on the server.

Another issue with v10 is missing markup of text found within of documents. It does find the note with the attached document, but does not show exactly where the search string is located. Not good - currently the best workaround is maybe to download the pdf from the note, and search in another program (which is by no means not a good solution, but for a long text maybe the best that works). EN staff has told (somewhere) they are working on this.

Thank you for this information. It confirms my suspicion that there are several problems with the new version. I have to confess that I am really pissed off with this new version. I am missing the feature of lokal notebooks – which are not supported anymore. And I am afraid that Evernote will not support anymore the Evernote edition scanner. The excellent search was my main reason I loved Evernote. All these features have convinced me to subscribe to the premium versions now for several years. (Otherwise I would just use Joplin, which has grown – especially in the last few month – to a viable alternative.) 

• Level 5

Local notebooks: Alternatives are DEVONthink and Apple Notes (both Mac/iOS only)

EN Edition Scanner: Not supported any longer, which means exactly this firmware. You can download the standard ix500 firmware from Fujitsu and convert the Edition scanner into a normal ix500. This is supported. You can not undo this, once converted, it stays an ix500 (which is a good scanner, and allows to create scan jobs to scan directly into EN).

• Like 1

@PinkExlephant – EN Edition Scanner: Oh this is good news! I had already the firmware changed to ix500. If I remember correctly: I had to install ScanSnap but besides this addition the scanner continued to work perfectly. I didn't know that this was the only difference.

Thank you also for the alternatives for local notebook. I will investigate them.

Yesterday I experienced another disappointment with the new version. It turned out that some of my PDFs are lost in the new versions!! Not all of them und luckily they are still available on the legacy version. I do not know if this is a problem caused by the simultaneous use of both Evernote versions or if it is another problem with the new version. – I have to confess that I lost all my trust in EN and that I am worried what other issues I will discover.

But again: Many thanks to you. Your advice helped me a lot! (I am still not marking this discussion as a solution, as I am still worried about my lost PDFs. Or should I mark this discussion and start a new thread concerning lost PDF? It seems to me that this might be a similar error as not finding content in the PDFs.)

• Thanks 1
  • Solution

Yes, I will start a new thread. Just another information: Today I received an email form EN support saying that they did PDF search not include in the new version. Like some other features they are still thinking if to include into EN or not.