Is there a way to remove local files but keep them in the cloud. Evernote V10.5.7 on Mac OS 10.15.7

I've been using Evernote for 7 years, and been a premium user for most of that time. I use Evernote for life, work, volunteer job and graduate school. I have a high percentage of files with attachments. Things I don't want to get rid of entirely but don't need to live on my hard drive any longer.

Is there a way to reduce the number of notebooks or notes on my hard drive without deleting them from the cloud? The only idea I've been able to come up with is to delete the whole program, then reinstalling it syncing on only the desired files locally after reinstall.

I have a 5 year old computer I'm trying to get through another semester of graduate school with and really need to make room for this years class materials. That said the idea of completely deleting the app scares me that I might accidentally delete needed files.

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, angcargil said:

Is there a way to reduce the number of notebooks or notes on my hard drive without deleting them from the cloud? 

With the Version 10 product, local storage is optional   
Specified in Evernote/Preferences/Save Data at logout

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, angcargil said:

Is there a way to reduce the number of notebooks or notes on my hard drive without deleting them from the cloud? The only idea I've been able to come up with is to delete the whole program, then reinstalling it syncing on only the desired files locally after reinstall.

Not that I'm aware of.  You can export notebooks no longer used, store them elsewhere, and then delete them from your database, but that will also delete them from the server the next time it is sync'd.  The Windows legacy version has a feature called sync on demand that allows you to have a keep a smaller database footprint on your PC, but I don't think Mac ever had that feature.