Add blockquote formatting to editor

edwardejsr

Idea

Feature request to add blockquote/quote formatting to the editor so that blocks of text that are typically quotations have distinct formatting such as indent, line prefix. This is useful since may websites/blogs use block quote styles when referencing sources, it saves from having to manually style quote sections with italics etc, and helps any future export/formatting improvements (e.g. blockquotes style can be customized for all notes, export to HTML or markdown is more logical).

Functionality includes

• Automatically enter blockquote formatting if the start of the line begins with "> "
  • Allow not going into blockquote format by pressing undo immediately after entering "> "
  • Continue blockquote format on the next line if already in blockquote
  • Exit blockquote format after entering two new lines
  • Allow 'quote' format in drop down menu
  • Automatically detect quote regions when simplifying article from web clipper
  • Support some other formatting elements within a block quote e.g. headers, bold, images, tables, links
  • Like 9

16 replies to this idea

A "code block" is not a "block quote". I would not like to abuse one to get the other, especially since HTML, from which many notes are indeed copied, does have a "blockquote" tag.

Fun fact: ENML (the Evernote Markup Language based on XTHML) does support block quotes (also in Legacy) in form of a <blockquote> tag, although they are not accessible through the Evernote editors. Marking up an ENML (actually ENEX) file works fine; the block quote is displayed with an indent (in the legacy version as well as in the v10 editor), and it also survives actions such as "simplify". But I am sure there are very good and valid reasons for not making it accessible through an editor.

Another fun fact: This particular editor (here in the discussion forum) does have block quotes, and it also seems to be more or less a standard feature for HTML editors. Also, notetaking apps such as Simplenote, OneNote, Notion etc. do apparently provide it, Not Dropbox Paper though, it seems.

But I empathize with indifference and support ignorance, as more than a decade uf using Evernote has taught me to rely on workarounds instead of basic useful features.

As a workaround you can use this editor (the one in the discussion forum), use block quotes and copy-paste from here to Evernote. It is not the best one, you might have to do some cleanup.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

I can see the attraction of a block quotation option.

As a workaround I mark quotes with a Quote Emoji. I also indent the paragraph. Like this...

💬 Quote goes here...

Since this is an infrequent requirement for me I haven't created a keyboard shortcut but it would be eminently suitable for automation.

• Like 2
On 2/23/2021 at 4:41 PM, PinkElephant said:

It is right behind the blue + - symbol when you are in editing mode. Screenshot from my Mac EN app, v 10.8.5. It is there in mobile as well.

Excellent! Thanks!

@Matt Whitby did you try using the code block suggested by PinkElephant?  Other than the code typeface, this produces an effect very similar to the quote on the forum.  You could also italicize and indent.... or use a specific highlighter color for quotes

On 2/23/2021 at 10:41 AM, PinkElephant said:

It is right behind the blue + - symbol when you are in editing mode. Screenshot from my Mac EN app, v 10.8.5. It is there in mobile as well.

76193532_Bildschirmfoto2021-02-23um16_40_40.thumb.png.b9beef7d56ffcb27799234c3e230606d.png

• Level 5

Feel free to feel what you want to feel.

EN put the emphasis of the new clients (build around the editor) on multiple platforms and devices. It is not a main focus to show formatting that looks nice on one device, but shot on another with less screen width, for example.

IMHO this is not indifference, it is a design decision.

38 minutes ago, agsteele said:

As a workaround I mark quotes with a Quote Emoji. I also indent the paragraph. Like this...

Well done!

Evernote sparks curiosity and challenges us to surmount the impossible when facing the seemingly obvious. It encourages and celebrates human ingenuity and perseverance. Where and what would we be without it.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2