Use Hyperlink to specific section within the page/note

pwala

I have created several sections in the same page/note. Similar to the Word document, can I create the bookmark name for each section so I can create several hyperlinks at the top of the page so I can click the specific section which will lead me to speculator section in the same page rather than scroll down to find the right section?

Thanks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Level 5*

Hi.  Not currently available.  If you'd like to make a feature request please vote on an existing thread or create your own.  Easy work-around is to create the sections in separate notes linked by title or tag.  Search for the identifier to list all the notes and create a table of content note to jump between them.  The note links can be moved around in the ToC if you wish to re-order the document.

Create a table of contents

• Thanks 1

Thanks gazumped, I created ToC as you said, I like this as it looks neater and more effective. Thanks for this. However, when I clicked on the link provided in the ToC and it will pop small dialog box, I then had to click on the link from that box. That's mean I have to click twice before bringing me to specific note. I tried Ctrl+click, it will bring me to the new window page. Is it possible for me to click just once on the link on ToC page and bring me to the specifc note on the same window?

Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
8 hours ago, pwala said:

Thanks gazumped, I created ToC as you said, I like this as it looks neater and more effective. Thanks for this. However, when I clicked on the link provided in the ToC and it will pop small dialog box, I then had to click on the link from that box. That's mean I have to click twice before bringing me to specific note. I tried Ctrl+click, it will bring me to the new window page. Is it possible for me to click just once on the link on ToC page and bring me to the specifc note on the same window?

Cheers!

Hmmn.  Just checked my Evernote Windows 6.25,  and clicking a link in a ToC takes me straight to the relevant note.  Are you using the browser version?  Evernote does have this annoying habit of popping up a 'leaving Evernote' screen when moving to a link destination outside of the app (i.e. a web page),  but it should not appear if you're jumping between notes within the app.

Anyone else seeing this in any other version(s) of Evernote?  It may be a bug...

Thanks for getting back to with this. I am using Evernote app v10.5.7 on my computer. Yes it is jumping between notes within the app which it shouldn't - you are correct, this is the reason I am keen to resolve this. As you mentioned that yours is 6.25, should i rollback to older version? Any other solutions? Thanks.

• Level 5*
32 minutes ago, pwala said:

Thanks for getting back to with this. I am using Evernote app v10.5.7 on my computer. Yes it is jumping between notes within the app which it shouldn't - you are correct, this is the reason I am keen to resolve this. As you mentioned that yours is 6.25, should i rollback to older version? Any other solutions? Thanks.

You could try installing  the legacy version,  which will work alongside the new app for the present.  Use one where the other isn't providing you with a necessary feature - just don't start a note in Legacy and then expect to finish it 10 minutes later in v10!  Anything you edit in Legacy will sync to v10 and vice-versa.  I have 6.25.1 - Legacy is 6.25.2,  so hopefully no differences other than working alongside the new coding.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

Maybe someone on v10 can confirm whether your experience is a bug.  As a subscriber you can report it as an issue anyway - Evernote (hopefully) will fix it,  though I think they're a little busy at present...

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Humm, I would still like to see the ability to link inside an individual note.  Creating many notes, with a master ToC note, is too much extra work to be really user-friendly.  OneNote.  It would help compete with OneNote, which does support this.

PS, here is the feature request for this, if you want to support the idea. 

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, Grant837 said:

Creating many notes, with a master ToC note, is too much extra work

I actually find that it gives me the opportunity to post random thoughts - like a Mind Map - as separate notes and then move the links around in my ToC as I work out which order is most appropriate for clear communications.  It's not harder than in-note links,  and it is a good deal safer than jumping backwards and forwards in a long document which could be altered or disappear completely with an attack of fat fingers.  At least if I mess up I'll only lose a paragraph or two...

But whatever works for you...

Thanks @gazumped.  Indeed, it's a personal choice. 

I have tried both (in-document links in OneNote and ToC for notes in Evernote) and because I am maybe more chaotic in my thoughts and moments of data collection, and not disciplined enough to schedule a time to bring all the random notes together into a single structure,  I can not use your method well (even though I keep trying 😉  In my ideal world, I would use both.

I am not worried about data loss in EverNote since it has Note History and Trash.

so... I think it would serve a wider audience (and EverNote could serve a wider audience) if EverNote embraced my suggestion

Cheers!

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Grant837 said:

I think it would serve a wider audience (and EverNote could serve a wider audience) if EverNote embraced my suggestion

From the feedback I've seen it would certainly be popular - whether the additional work involved is cost effective is for Evernote to decide...

• Like 1