Consider making a low 2$ membership ?

Hi,

I am a long time user, I was using phone and tablet for free plus the web on PC. 90% of the Evernote functions are unused by me, I only use Text and rarely add one picture, that's about it. Since you decided to count Web as 1 device, I exported my notes to another app Nimbus Notes. It doesn't have these restrictions on the free version.

Still I would pay up to 2$ for Evernote, as a liked it a bit better, even though Nimbus comes quite close and is free for a user like me.

I don't need most of the Evernote functions like Webclipper etc. All I need would be a free device limit, 99% of my notes are only text, nothing more and for me as student the minumum asking price for a subscription is just too much especially considering my use is not extensive at all.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Hi.  We're a mainly user-supported forum and can't exactly comment on pricing policy,  but you could put up a suggestion in a Feature Request forum to see how many users agree with you.  I'd suggest you stick with 'reduced subscription' rather than a specific price because I doubt that any company would think that the effort of collecting 2$ was worth the return.  Last time Evernote offered a student discount on Premium it was 50% of the normal annual cost.  For the time being there are no other options for subscribers.

@gazumped FYI, StandardNotes is 4.17/month on a 1 year deal. 1.86/month if you buy 5 years. So evidently some companies think that's a valid pricing tier. I'd pay 2/month for Evernote for life.

I don't need the bells and whistles, I just write text notes with the occasional photo in them. Right now Evernote doesn't have a "pay as you use" model. So I'm expected to pay 10/month, same as someone annotating large PDFs, uploading videos, and using other processing and storage intensive features. Way too expensive. So I was on the free plan, and now that the free plan became hostile to users, I'm migrating.

• Like 1

I think if you only need poor and cheap functionalities you might better watch out for other solutions. If I‘d run Evernote and try to deliver an upper quality and feature rich product, yielding for top of the market I probably wouldn‘t try to set up a third, discounter like product, next to premium and freemium-basic. It‘s just take it or leave it... (I so far have never regretted the price I pay for premium!)

• Like 2
  • Level 5

There is a natural limit for lowering prices: The percentage of income that is just needed for distribution and payment processing rises. I am in a group running preps for a virtual event in the range of 25€ per ticket - appr. 10% of this goes into payment and web infrastructure. If we would charge half, it would be rather 30%, if we could take double, it would fall to 6 or 7%.  Maybe there are further economies of scale, but at least for AppStore and PlayStore there are additional cost as well (AppStore 30% 1st year, 15% each consecutive year).

This means the margin on income generated from 2€ subscriptions would probably be much smaller than from 5€.

And this is a problem, because there will not only be upgrades, there will probably as well be downgrades. If I estimate for every 3-4 Basic upgrades to 2€ there would be 1 Premium downgrade, the net income situation would not change, but the cost to support the new demands on services would rise. So in the end there is probably not much to gain from a lower level subscription, compared to today.

The main issue still is that EN offers a quite good free option, and this without a deadline (either in time or volume). So beside of attrition over devices or volume there is today no point in time when a Basic user needs to decide about „up or out“.

• Like 3
14 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

The main issue still is that EN offers a quite good free option, and this without a deadline (either in time or volume).

Isn't that the strategy to attract and retain paid users? More the volume of data one has entered in EN, higher the migration effort and less likely the user willing to move away and thus more likely to pay up for staying back.

• Level 5

There are 2 ways towards this goal (if it is a goal): Make the subscription cheaper, or make the free plan less attractive. Any combination possible, but one has to avoid too much downgraded accounts to make ends meet.

Everything else is a pretty easy model one can setup himself in a spreadsheet when the sky is grey, and there is nothing else to do.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8.1.2021 at 10:33 PM, PinkElephant said:

There is a natural limit for lowering prices: The percentage of income that is just needed for distribution and payment processing rises. I am in a group running preps for a virtual event in the range of 25€ per ticket - appr. 10% of this goes into payment and web infrastructure. If we would charge half, it would be rather 30%, if we could take double, it would fall to 6 or 7%.  Maybe there are further economies of scale, but at least for AppStore and PlayStore there are additional cost as well (AppStore 30% 1st year, 15% each consecutive year).

This means the margin on income generated from 2€ subscriptions would probably be much smaller than from 5€.

And this is a problem, because there will not only be upgrades, there will probably as well be downgrades. If I estimate for every 3-4 Basic upgrades to 2€ there would be 1 Premium downgrade, the net income situation would not change, but the cost to support the new demands on services would rise. So in the end there is probably not much to gain from a lower level subscription, compared to today.

The main issue still is that EN offers a quite good free option, and this without a deadline (either in time or volume). So beside of attrition over devices or volume there is today no point in time when a Basic user needs to decide about „up or out“.

That makes sense to me and is a sound analysis of all the aspects that I didn't consider from all angles. You guys are pretty smart I must say by the quality of your product EN and the few postings that I read from you.

Atm I'm grateful for the free version for now even with having one less device included. If my financial situation improves, I'll get the premium in a blink of an eye.

Btw there was an offer with a discount for an annual subscription, is that valid for 1 year only or does the price remain discounted?

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Maru1 said:

You guys are pretty smart I must say by the quality of your product EN and the few postings that I read from you.

Hi. This is a (mainly) user-supported Forum,  so the product is nothing to do with us directly,  other than that we are all users at one level or another...

2 hours ago, Maru1 said:

Btw there was an offer with a discount for an annual subscription, is that valid for 1 year only or does the price remain discounted?

...and as far as I know any 'introductory' offers are basically for the initial period they cover - subscriptions would revert to whatever was the normal level at the time they fall due.  (Although you can always downgrade your membership again if that proves not to be acceptable at the time...)

• Like 1
23 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi. This is a (mainly) user-supported Forum,  so the product is nothing to do with us directly,  other than that we are all users at one level or another...

I see, well Pinkelephant surely sounded like a representative in his post 😅

Plus I'm amazed at how active a forum about a notes app is, you guys have thousands of posts over here.

23 hours ago, gazumped said:

...and as far as I know any 'introductory' offers are basically for the initial period they cover - subscriptions would revert to whatever was the normal level at the time they fall due.  (Although you can always downgrade your membership again if that proves not to be acceptable at the time...)

Thx, good to know.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • Level 5

@isthisme

You don’t pay for what you use ...

You post less than one contribution per month  ...

Your posts are centered on yourself, not on solving problems or offer help to others ...

If the forum would exist only of users like you, visiting would in fact be pointless.

OK, wasted enough time here. But I will tell you a forum secret: One can decide to ignore other forum members. Ciao !