Keep evernote helper toolbar notes from minimizing open windows

vmd923

Idea

In previous versions, you could use the evernote helper (the icon in the toolbar -- if that's what it's called) to seamlessly take notes quickly without being kicked out of the current maximized screen. In the new version (running 10.5.7), as soon as you click the icon to start to take a new note (to do something like take notes during a meeting, or try to screenshot something from a meeting...) the helper immediately minimizes the window you are in... rendering the screenshot tool totally worthless, and preventing you from being able to take notes during a meeting when you are trying to stay on the same screen as something like a zoom call. Please fix this. This was an invaluable tool to be able to quickly pop up a mini notepad to take notes, and then to save it to evernote. Now it's totally worthless in the new iteration.

This previous feature was, in my opinion, the greatest benefit of the evernote suite. After years of using Evernote, many as a premium subscriber, I'm researching other note tools as this tool is totally worthless without the ability to pop up and not disrupt my currently screens.

Can I put evernote side by side with my current screen? YES, BUT the squashed interface with tons of columns that can't be minimized makes it a huge space hog where I can't even see the notes I am taking in a helpful way.

Not sure who's idea it was to gut the toolbar, but it's ruined the experience.

4 replies to this idea

On 1/7/2021 at 11:21 AM, vmd923 said:

In previous versions, you could use the evernote helper (the icon in the toolbar -- if that's what it's called) to seamlessly take notes quickly without being kicked out of the current maximized screen. In the new version (running 10.5.7), as soon as you click the icon to start to take a new note (to do something like take notes during a meeting, or try to screenshot something from a meeting...) the helper immediately minimizes the window you are in... rendering the screenshot tool totally worthless, and preventing you from being able to take notes during a meeting when you are trying to stay on the same screen as something like a zoom call. Please fix this. This was an invaluable tool to be able to quickly pop up a mini notepad to take notes, and then to save it to evernote. Now it's totally worthless in the new iteration.

This previous feature was, in my opinion, the greatest benefit of the evernote suite. After years of using Evernote, many as a premium subscriber, I'm researching other note tools as this tool is totally worthless without the ability to pop up and not disrupt my currently screens.

Can I put evernote side by side with my current screen? YES, BUT the squashed interface with tons of columns that can't be minimized makes it a huge space hog where I can't even see the notes I am taking in a helpful way.

Not sure who's idea it was to gut the toolbar, but it's ruined the experience.

I have the same issue. My workflow used the 'evernote helper' 4+ hours a day to take meeting, class and conference notes - by clipping screen shots, typing, annotating screen shots, adding link, dragging stuff into the note, etc.  Now the screen shot doesn't open in the note, it is sent as its own single note to evernote and you never see it. What use is this if you are taking 50 screen shots over the course of an hour zoom meeting?  I want the 50 screen shots in my note and I want to annotate them. Sometimes I would use 2 notes. One was the intermediary - the top bar evernote helper where I would do the screen shots and then I would drag them from there to a new note.. because a normal note does not have the capablity of screen shoting over and over again and annotating. It was BRILLIANT!!!  So amazing and no matter how many hours I took notes in that one note it NEVER once lost it . I could rely on this workflow 100%.  There is nothing like this... SO why disable this workflow? Especially in the time of ZOOM?  This is a seller for evernote - just this one workflow!!!

• Like 1

Does someone found a way to bring helper back the way it was? 

Not being able to take notes on top of another full screen app is annoying and makes everything difficult. I don't know why developers have to change things that are perfect the way they are.