[Fixed in Version 10.9] Configuration File Error Evernote\config.json SyntaxError: Unexpected token

Salaht_

Idea

23 replies to this idea

• Evernote Expert
19 hours ago, Joe Flaherty said:

boron-config-template.json

Evernote 10 has to have this file.  It is a key part of the configuration.  The usual location is %LocalAppData%\Programs\Evernote\resources\static

If this file is corrupted or misconfigured it is likely to generate this error.

The only solution...

Quit and Uninstall Evernote 10

Ensure you manually delete the Evernote folder in %LocalAppData%\Programs

Also manually remove the data folder - Evernote in %AppData%\

Then reinstall.  You will be starting from scratch and the data files will be recreated.

• Like 2

I had faced a similar problem with the latest version. I had deleted the Evernote folder in the directory shown in the configuration file error dialogue box and it worked. Now i am able to launch the app. Seriously i do not know what is the cause but i think i got a solution for the problem.

I have been using Evernote for many years now. Only recently when I upgraded to 10.4.4, I got Configuration File Error message in the installation process. I could not fall back to the Evernote being used and thus lost connection to thousands of notes I had stored. I tried to install older versions including 10.1, 10.2, 10.3 and got the same error message during the installation. The old Evernote was deleted. I could not re-install Evernote on my Windows desktop. Please help me to get back to the precious information stored on Evernote.

I am using Windows 10 Home version 2004 and the latest update was on Nov 14, 2020. 

Regards, Edward Lau

install error mesg.jpg

I'm having this problem as well with the latest version. Nothing is working. I've been with Evernote since the very beginning, but if I can't get the desktop version to work, I'm going to have to switch to something else and I really don't want to do that! Is there a solution to this?

• Like 1
On 12/9/2020 at 4:25 AM, Elau said:

I have been using Evernote for many years now. Only recently when I upgraded to 10.4.4, I got Configuration File Error message in the installation process. I could not fall back to the Evernote being used and thus lost connection to thousands of notes I had stored. I tried to install older versions including 10.1, 10.2, 10.3 and got the same error message during the installation. The old Evernote was deleted. I could not re-install Evernote on my Windows desktop. Please help me to get back to the precious information stored on Evernote.

I am using Windows 10 Home version 2004 and the latest update was on Nov 14, 2020. 

Regards, Edward Lau

install error mesg.jpg

I am getting the same error now also--Dec 18, 2020. And can't seem to find a way to get help from the company from whom I am buying this service.  

evernote config error 12.18.20.JPG

• Evernote Expert

The obvious option to try is to close EN v10 and delete the data directory and then relaunch, log back in and allow the program to rebuild its data directory.  If that doesn't work there is always the option to use the legacy version which is entirely separate and will not be affected by this issue.

16 hours ago, tmluvlife said:

And can't seem to find a way to get help from the company from whom I am buying this service.  

You can raise a ticket but response times are extended because of all the development work that is underway and the challenges they are raising.  You will get a reply but not immediately.  I suggest the legacy route if you have no quick success.

I'm still interested to know which version of Evernote folk are using. Is it the direct download from the website or the version from the Microsoft store? The sxtore version will be different to the direct download. So trying the other may provide a solution.

My first try if you want to stay with v10 is to close, remove the data directory %appdata%\Evernote

On 12/9/2020 at 12:25 PM, Elau said:

Regards, Edward Lau

install error mesg.jpg

Could you solve the problem?

• Like 1

Hi all,

Every time I try to open Evernote (latest version for Windows 10), I receive the below error. There is no file called boron-config-template.json so I'm really stumped.

The web app works fine, and it works on Windows if I reinstall the program. However, if I then quit it, or restart my PC, I get the same error all over again and have to reinstall it just to get it to work.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Screenshot 2021-01-07 155811.png

• Level 5*
59 minutes ago, Joe Flaherty said:

I do that. Every single day. Or every time I close the app and want to restart it. 

Try uninstalling with Revo Uninstaller,  which will remove elements that Windows doesn't usually bother with - or if you're not wedded to EN10 use this link to download the previous public version - http://cdn1.evernote.com/win6/public/Evernote_6.25.1.9091.exe

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, agsteele said:

Evernote 10 has to have this file.  It is a key part of the configuration.  The usual location is %LocalAppData%\Programs\Evernote\resources\static

The only solution...

Then reinstall.  You will be starting from scratch and the data files will be recreated.

You sir, are a scholar and a gentleman. That has worked perfectly. Thank you.

• Like 1
On 1/8/2021 at 2:19 PM, agsteele said:

The only solution...

Such an amazing person! You are awsome sir, thank you so much 

On 1/8/2021 at 12:15 PM, gazumped said:

Try uninstalling with Revo Uninstaller,  which will remove elements that Windows doesn't usually bother with - or if you're not wedded to EN10 use this link to download the previous public version - http://cdn1.evernote.com/win6/public/Evernote_6.25.1.9091.exe

I had the same problem for days and tried this and it worked!

Thanks have a great day and life.

Peace

• Like 1
  • Ex Employees
2 hours ago, Austin G said:

Thanks for reporting this issue. Please use these steps to fix this: 

1.  Press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC keys to open the task manager 
  2.  Select "More Details" to view the background processes
  3. Select any processes with "Evernote" in the title, and end them
  4. Open Windows Explorer
  5.  Paste %appdata% in the window header and press Enter
  6. Rename the folder "Evernote" to "Z_Evernote"
  7. Open Evernote and sign in

Please let me know if the issue continues after completing these steps Thanks! 

After completing the steps above, please use these steps to provide us the issue file so that we can investigate this further:

1. Copy this string: %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Z_Evernote
  2. Press the WIN + R keys to open the run window
  3. Paste the copied string into the run window  and select OK to open the Z_Evernote folder
  4. Find the config.json file in the Z_Evernote
  5. Attach the config.json  to this thread, or send it to me in a direct message

thanks in advance. 

Hi. I tried these steps, but I didn't find any background tasks with "Evernote" in it, and still I get this message. I have uninstalled and re-installed the Evernote for Windows multiple times. I don't know what else I can try.

Happening to me too.  Trying all the above steps with no luck.  Makes me want to cry.  Spending hours trying to get Evernote to work and losing money in my business because I can't get at information, and get at my spreadsheets so I can lodge BAS's for clients.  Just want to give up honestly.  This is now my second afternoon with no work done and clients upset.  I've recommended this program to them and they now pay a subscription for a service that is just not working and honestly just wasting time trying work around.

On 1/20/2021 at 10:39 PM, Austin G said:

Thanks for reporting this issue. Please use these steps to fix this: 

1.  Press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC keys to open the task manager 
  2.  Select "More Details" to view the background processes
  3. Select any processes with "Evernote" in the title, and end them
  4. Open Windows Explorer
  5.  Paste %appdata% in the window header and press Enter
  6. Rename the folder "Evernote" to "Z_Evernote"
  7. Open Evernote and sign in

Please let me know if the issue continues after completing these steps Thanks! 

The issue still persists for me. Please suggest an alternative workaround. 

Thanks!