• Level 5

It is 500 MB (not GB).

Probably you had EN open before, and there is some stuff running in the background. It does not seem to do much, so maybe the RAM is still reserved and will be freed up when needed.

Maybe you try to stuff your RAM with other apps, and see if it disappears.

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, A brother in Christ said:

Is there any reason anyone can think of why I would have 7 instances of Evernote in my task manager using about 500GB of RAM when I don't even have Evernote open?

evernote task manager.JPG

The new version does consume more resources.  Do a File - Exit when you leave EN.  That might shut most of that down.  Still on 6.25.1 myself, so a guess.

• Evernote Expert
17 hours ago, A brother in Christ said:

Is there any reason anyone can think of why I would have 7 instances of Evernote in my task manager using about 500GB of RAM when I don't even have Evernote open?

These instances are not all the main program. They are various sub-processes running that are connected to the main program. The old legacy version is currently running seven different processes on my PC.  This isn't entirely unusual.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, agsteele said:

This isn't entirely unusual.

This is entirely expected when you use CEF (Chromium Embedded Framework). (Dear Lord, Please let me never have to deal with CEF in my career again...)

• Like 1

Wow, I'm sad to say that I'm not surprised this is considered "normal" for any software. 500MB is a lot of memory to be hogging for a text app that isn't even being used. I have no idea what it could be doing in the background like that, even if I am using the Chrome Extension. Maybe I need to be more diligent in shutting down web pages, but when I do research I often leave many tabs open for a while, even after clipping them. Maybe this is what is causing the issue. Still I don't see why the processes can't shut down after I've clicked "clip." Now my RAM usage is doubled because Chrome is using RAM to keep them open too. It's a good thing I have 64GB.

Whenever I decide to switch gears and do audio or video I'll just have to go through a process of closing all my browser windows and processes in order to make sure nothing happens while I'm recording, editing or rendering. That's just the nature of wanting to do everything on one computer.

On 1/6/2021 at 11:10 AM, CalS said:

The new version does consume more resources.  Do a File - Exit when you leave EN.  That might shut most of that down.  Still on 6.25.1 myself, so a guess.

Yes, indeed. If you just close Evernote, it keeps running in the background. That's nice because it really restarts quickly when you open it again. However, if you like to let your computer "suspend" or "hibernate" this does not behave well. Exiting Evernote using the menu (File- Quit) helps, but sometimes still does not kill all the processes, this continuing to consume memory. After quitting Evernote, kill any malingering processes. yeha, I thought at first Evernote had some sort of memory leak, but what was happening was more and more dead processes were taking up memory. A different sort of memory leak, I suppose.

• Like 1
On 1/6/2021 at 10:25 PM, A brother in Christ said:

Wow, I'm sad to say that I'm not surprised this is considered "normal" for any software. 500MB is a lot of memory to be hogging for a text app that isn't even being used. I have no idea what it could be doing in the background like that, even if I am using the Chrome Extension. Maybe I need to be more diligent in shutting down web pages, but when I do research I often leave many tabs open for a while, even after clipping them. Maybe this is what is causing the issue. Still I don't see why the processes can't shut down after I've clicked "clip." Now my RAM usage is doubled because Chrome is using RAM to keep them open too. It's a good thing I have 64GB.

Whenever I decide to switch gears and do audio or video I'll just have to go through a process of closing all my browser windows and processes in order to make sure nothing happens while I'm recording, editing or rendering. That's just the nature of wanting to do everything on one computer.

I agree. Unlike you, I only have 12 GB of RAM and Evernote brought my system to an excruciatingly slow crawl. I thought I was being hacked, the lag on my mouse pointer movements was so bad. Firefox, with it's Chromium base, used to do the exact same thing. It seems to happen if I leave Evernote open overnight. (I forgot I had opened it.)

What did not make sense was, when I finally was able to see the Task Manager, Evernote was only at about 300 MB. But as soon as I sorted by %Memory, I noticed that the number quickly rose to 500MB!

This is strike 3 (or 5, who's keeping track, anymore?) With the annoying pop-up telling me I have the latest version, I think it's time for me to cut this dog loose.

I made the mistake of leaving the new Evernote Windows client open on my office computer, which has 32GB of RAM.

Later that night, I started getting notifications about various services failing. The next day, I come in to find that 97% of my machine's memory is used, with Evernote being the majority of that.

I killed the Evernote process and my memory usage dropped down to about 15%.

The new client is an unmitigated disaster.

I can confirm that. After running for a while standby memory and cpu consumption sometimes even rises to an unreasonable level. I already experienced cpu load by 25% with EN being in the tray...not transfering any data or something... This can become especially a problem if you standby or hybernate the windows pc after rewaking and using it for some days without shut down EN entirely in between.

11 hours ago, Alxa said:

I can confirm that. After running for a while standby memory and cpu consumption sometimes even rises to an unreasonable level. I already experienced cpu load by 25% with EN being in the tray...not transfering any data or something... This can become especially a problem if you standby or hybernate the windows pc after rewaking and using it for some days without shut down EN entirely in between.

I have no option but to work this way since I'm constantly researching, writing, editing, and jumping from task to task to task. I have to force myself to close all my browser windows sometimes and say, "Enough!" This really shouldn't be that much of a problem these days. Memory management has been a thing for a long time now. It seems software companies are more and more expecting you to pick up their slack.

9 hours ago, Anklebuster said:

I've had enough. Thanks to some of the suggestions here and on Reddit, I'm switching to StandardNote. It has an extension that imports ENX files (but not attachments.)

So long and thanks for all the fishy updates!

Can Standard Note capture/save web pages with highlighting?
I found this app called Nimbus Note, Capture and Clipper. I might try it out.

12 minutes ago, A brother in Christ said:

Can Standard Note capture/save web pages with highlighting?
I found this app called Nimbus Note, Capture and Clipper. I might try it out.

I just got started with SN. Apparently it does not offer web-clipping. A quick Google search revealed that browser extensions have been created to work with SN. Personally, I'm glad it doesn't have a web-clipper. Evernote made it so easy to collect pages willy-nilly. Yet, the formatting isn't always retained. From now on, I'll just use a bookmarking tool.

I was going to go with Nimbus, but it costs 2x as much as SN.

18 minutes ago, A brother in Christ said:

I have no option but to work this way since I'm constantly researching, writing, editing, and jumping from task to task to task. I have to force myself to close all my browser windows sometimes and say, "Enough!" This really shouldn't be that much of a problem these days. Memory management has been a thing for a long time now. It seems software companies are more and more expecting you to pick up their slack.

@A brother in Christ This may be a bit Off-Topic but, your workflow might benefit from Workona, a very capable tab manager. You'll never have to have a billion browser tabs open again! Plus, it's a neat alternative to web-clipping.

9 minutes ago, Anklebuster said:

@A brother in Christ This may be a bit Off-Topic but, your workflow might benefit from Workona, a very capable tab manager. You'll never have to have a billion browser tabs open again! Plus, it's a neat alternative to web-clipping.

Thanks! Workona will definitely be useful. The reason I clip so many web pages is because many change or go missing. I also like the idea of having my own archive of information at my disposal in case my internet goes down for an extended period of time (I live in rural GA and that has happened a couple times). I know there's the Waybackmachine, which is helpful, but having Evernote is like my own little intranet where I can search only things I've deemed notable and will probably want to reference again. I tried just saving web pages to my hard drive but that became really cumbersome.

9 hours ago, A brother in Christ said:

Thanks! Workona will definitely be useful. The reason I clip so many web pages is because many change or go missing. I also like the idea of having my own archive of information at my disposal in case my internet goes down for an extended period of time (I live in rural GA and that has happened a couple times). I know there's the Waybackmachine, which is helpful, but having Evernote is like my own little intranet where I can search only things I've deemed notable and will probably want to reference again. I tried just saving web pages to my hard drive but that became really cumbersome.

You're welcome. Don't get me wrong, I loved clipping web pages. I abused it. Where I got into trouble is that retention is exactly the wrong thing for my field: software. I don't know how many obsolete web pages I have archived: Excel 2010, Windows 7 Hacks, Templates for Evernote...sigh.

At the end of the day, each of us evolves to adapt to our digital diets. Good luck with yours!

2 hours ago, Anklebuster said:

You're welcome. Don't get me wrong, I loved clipping web pages. I abused it. Where I got into trouble is that retention is exactly the wrong thing for my field: software. I don't know how many obsolete web pages I have archived: Excel 2010, Windows 7 Hacks, Templates for Evernote...sigh.

At the end of the day, each of us evolves to adapt to our digital diets. Good luck with yours!

Oh, yes, I can see how that would be bad. Most of my research is historical. Or should I say hysterical?

• Haha 1
  • 4 weeks later...

+1 reporting for excessive RAM usage on V10.8.4. (didn't shut down laptop in 3 days at least, only sleep, chrome for reference on screenshot)

After app restart, numbers return to around 330 MB. It seems that a specific action(like PDF preview or closing laptop lid at the end of day)  makes Evernote go crazy and cause high RAM usage on laptop re-login. 

10.8.4-win-ddl-public (2349)
Editor: v118.1.15148
Service: v1.28.1

image.thumb.png.61a646e7aabc66d4189ff8443fad9aeb.png

When I start Evernote the memory consumption is around 500 MB, but when using the app it's consumption explodes... 2 Gb of memory consumption after a day's work was standard, 3 or 4 GB was also "Normal behavior" prior to v10.8.4.

The laptop did slowdown because of a note-taking app... it uses more memory than video effects editing or High detailed gaming... for note taking 🙃.
Think this is excessive memory consumption... 

Have no experience with the latest version...but cannot imagine that this memory consumption topic is addressed in this release..

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

OMFG. I was checking emails on my PC when I was greeted by an error that is something along the lines of "can't open this page because there is not enough memory." When I looked at task manager, Evernote was eating 80% of my PC's 16GB memory!!! This happened after explicitly exiting the app an hour before. 😡 Evernote isn't even open, yet it's consuming an absurd amount of memory!

FIX THIS ASAP. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Nance said:

Seems like if I choose File/Quit Evernote it kills all the processes.  If you exit with the X in the upper right hand corner, it doesn't.

The elephant icon in the system tray is the give away. If it is there, then EN is still running in the background. So you are right you need to do file -> quit or right click the elephant icon and choose quit. This has always been how EN has worked. I suppose the difference now is the need to completely quit EN to free up RAM.

• Like 1
On 1/6/2021 at 3:40 AM, A brother in Christ said:

Is there any reason anyone can think of why I would have 7 instances of Evernote in my task manager using about 500MB of RAM when I don't even have Evernote open?

Same for me

The problem in not just the DRAM usage (which goes well beyond 1 GB in my case) and, occasionally, CPU, it's just the poor resposiveness (it freezes in many occasions). I've been using EN for more than 10 yrs and EN 10.x has increased DRAM and CPU requirements by several notches

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Hi All

I thought i'd add one point, i just found Evernote

10.11.5-win-ddl-public (2530)
Editor: v121.2.15734
Service: v1.32.4
© 2019 - 2021 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

running 3 processes, all using 25% CPU each, may PC is old, 7 yr old i7 on a laptop. But still there seems to be a leak in the code, processes not shutting down. I end task on processes and restart evernote and now its fine.

orfeo

• Evernote Expert
1 hour ago, TAO said:

Hi All

running 3 processes, all using 25% CPU each, may PC is old, 7 yr old i7 on a laptop. But still there seems to be a leak in the code, processes not shutting down. I end task on processes and restart evernote and now its fine.

orfeo

THanks for your update.  The first recommendation would be to move to the latest version - currently 10.16.7-win-ddl-public (2732)

2 hours ago, TAO said:

As @agsteelesaid upgrade to the latest version and see what happens... I booted up version 10 at around 8am this morning and its now almost 6pm and EN has 5 processes running with RAM at 370MB and 2% CPU used... I'm using an old i5 laptop.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Quite a perfect days run !

My impression of the excessive use of resources (RAM, CPU) always was that processes had run their course, but were not terminated. Probably with each release the squash some more bugs.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • Level 5

You have been quoting a post from February.

Meanwhile EN has released several new versions, improving on performance and resource usage. I think they had a bug that caused some processes to stay running even when they actually should have terminated.

Currently EN run significantly better, I really can’t complain. If on a weaker computer there is some lagging, the current workaround is to disable the spell checking in EN preferences. It seems this process can use a lot of resources, especially on long notes.

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5

There is not much I could say about the technical side (it is probably brilliant …). But this is a small startup using less than mainstream technologies. I don’t think it even has the slightest chance that a company the size of EN would build its complete existence on such a platform.

Electron may not be the fastest kid in town, but for sure it has a lot of business partners building on it to develop apps & services.