Scanned note opens a new window...must close all manually

Everytime I scan a document, photo, card, etc., Evernote on my Mac opens the newly scanned document in a new window. After 20 windows I get a popup saying Evernote doesn't like having too many windows open. 20 is the limit. Please close some. So, I goto Window...Close all Note Windows and continue scanning.

Question: Is there a way to scan without the note opening in a new window? I just want to silently scan into my default Notebook without interruption. 

Any help is greatly appreciated!

• Like 1
  • Level 5

v10 is still lacking proper scanner support. You can install legacy side by side, and use it for scanning (and in general):

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314

Another way to scan „silently“ for me is using the app ScannerPro on my iPhone. After scanning it has a workflow feature that sends the scanned content directly into EN, into the correct notebook, creating a new note there and putting a set of specified tags on the note. I have 10 workflows that cover appr. 80% of my scanning, each creating its own notebook & tag assignments.

• Like 1

@PinkElephant thanks for the advice. I have an old ScanSnap S510M that I had placed on a shelf about a year ago when Fujitsu stopped supporting it. Then out of the blue, Fujitsu released an update to their SnapScan Manager that gave more life to this old Scanner. Everytime I scan anything in with the S510M, the note window is left open in Evernote. I then have to close all note windows periodically or Evernote gets very upset and basically quits working until I restart and close all open windows.

I'm running Evernote v10.5.7 on macOS 11.0.1

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I can't resist the urge to jump in and complain once again. Joined Evernote 2010, I am a Premium member. I am limping along with Legacy on my mostly Mac computers. I say limping along because I am forced to use the new edition of Evernote when I need to drag and drop out of ScanSnap Home software. It won't work with Evernote Legacy and defaults to and opens Evernote 10.

I get the pleasure of waiting FOREVER to move a file from my scanner to Evernote... unless I create a folder, drag and drop from ScanSnap home to it and then drag and drop from that folder to Evernote Legacy. Believe it or not, that is incredibly  quicker than waiting on Evernote 10. Oh what sheer Joy. Note that this is not the Evernote Edition Scanner but a Fujitsu scanner nonetheless. Moving files remains sooooooo sloooooowwwww. I have also posted this in the slow performance thread.

• Level 5

My ix500 works perfectly with EN legacy, and ignores v10, both installed on my Mac.

Maybe try to run it on ScanSnap Manager instead of ScanSnap Home. Fujitsu has developed a new version of SSM (for 64Bit operating systems) which offers more features and setup options than SSH. Since October 2020 (if I remember well) there is the 2nd SSM release available, that supports cloud services like EN.

You are right but... I like to rename the PDFs' and look for the most efficient way to do it. It is super easy in Scansnap Home to rename them. Scanning directly to Evernote Legacy results in that weird glitch in which the renamed PDF reverts back to its former name if the sync isn't "Just so"... however, that might be faster than the interim folder drop. I will revisit ScanSnap Manager and see how the difference in time looks. Thanks so much for the reply.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Just to keep kicking this can down the road...

As @PinkElephant has stated, I will install Evernote Legacy to handle my scanning needs.

But it is still VERY frustrating that the current version of Evernote on my Mac does so much well except for this one issue of leaving all of these windows open. How hard is that to add a switch to "close window after scan" or "don't open a new window at all". I can "Close All Windows" and every time Evernote opens, it re-opens all windows. I haven't tried closing them one at a time. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-03 at 8.21.58 AM.png

@PinkElephant I just downloaded and installed Evernote Legacy. I set up a profile on ScanSnap Manager to use Evernote Legacy. BUT...every scan is creating a new Notes Window just like the new version of EN. So, I'm still having the same issue. I'm sure I used to be able to scan from ScanSnap Manager "silently" into Evernote. I just want to scan hundreds of documents into an EN folder as quickly as possible. Maybe I need to change my workflow to scan to a folder, then drag the PDFs into Evernote. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

@LeoK OK, so it does scan into legacy ? Good !

Second question: You still get one note per page ?

Maybe you need to change a setting in ScanSnapManager. Open it, go to SSM-Settings, select the profile you use to scan into EN, go to the file type tab, and check in options whether you have multi-page-scan selected, or it is set to create a new pdf after every page. If it is set to one page, ScanSnapManager will create a new pdf for each single page, and this will create a new note for each of these pdfs on import.

Bildschirmfoto_2021-02-05_um_12_54_24.thumb.png.8d18ab21c6a8c9799b32742818ea0ef5.png

• 1 month later...

No. Not one note per page.

My issues is I have hundreds of items to scan. Each scan leaves a note window open. 
I’m wondering if there is a way to create an ApppleScript routine to monitor open windows in Evernote. Every time I exceed 10 open notes, it closes all note windows.  

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Yes, one note per scan. One window per note. So I scan a lot, then take a coffee, put titles on the notes containing the scanned files, tag them and file them away. OCR does no good job on creating titles, so instead of renaming badly named ones, I rename a short upward counting placeholder.

If scanning stuff is not my main employment, I can‘t imagine that closing the window after naming and tagging it is such a big deal.

No way to get around it in settings, neither in EN legacy nor in ScanSnap Manager.

• 5 months later...

I'm using a Doxie scanner and having the same issue.  This was not always the case. I used to also be able to scan "silently" into Evernote.

I've installed the Legacy version as suggested above and it's no different.

Has anyone found a real solution or work around?

Thanks

23 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Tried import folders yet ?

This feature was released after this thread went silent.

No I've not. Someone how I missed that feature.  I'll try to locate more information.  Thanks for your help.

• 2 years later...

Every year I send a request to EN to add back the feature of "Do not open a new window during scan" and after going back and forth many times, they end up on "Install the old version as a work around."  The option existed before they revamped the entire interface.  It was the good ol' days.

When I scan, Evernote pops up on my screen, and I can see the scan in that window AND a second window opens with just the scan note.  It's redundant and pointless and they are not listening to us who have this problem.  Just don't open a new window - who would want this anyway?  Evernote - have a heart, fix this for us once and for all - it's been 4 years with this problem.