Bring back sorting by tags

kunzjun

Idea

This should be a no brainer and is amply discussed in the forum as a how-to since it was removed. It used to be possible to sort notes by tags. The logic would be that tags are sorted consistently anyway, so sorting for them enables using Evernote with tags for GTD, which used to be a hugely popular and highly productive option. There are websites and blogs galore, teaching people how to do this efficiently.

Sorting for date created or edited makes Evernote treat notes like documents, at that point I might as well use Word documents -  no reason to pay then. Might even bring it as a paid feature if it's too tricky to maintain.

• Like 7

11 replies to this idea

Agreed. I use Evernote at work and personally; separate accounts to keep my work/personal lives separate. My personal Evernote account is a paid account. I updated the app on my work Mac today, and saw that sorting by tags is no longer possible. I won't be updating the app on my personal Mac or devices until this feature is returned. As @kunzjun mentioned, those of us who use the GTD method of task/project management depend on sorting by tags.

If I simply needed to keep notes and sort by date, I could use the Notes app on my OSX/iOS devices or a number of free alternatives. I pay for my personal Evernote account because it has value, and have paid for it for years. By removing this feature a large part of Evernote's value I pay for has been removed. I may have to reevaluate Evernote's value if this feature is not added back to the product.

• Like 5

Agreed 110%. When selecting a tag now to "view" I need to be able to sort by reminder/due date. Not having that feature renders the new version EN largely useless to me on both desktop and iOS.

• Like 2

This feature is crucial for my usage of Evernote. My workflows depend on it, and having a premium subscription only makes sense if critical features, that are really important for you, don't get removed.

Don't understand why it was removed 😔

Please, bring it back!

• Like 2

I was really disappointed when discovered that this feature was gone, and Evernote has been much less useful for me since dropping this feature. I am a premium version user for multiple years, and have been waiting for all these months for this feature to be back. I will have to seriously consider stop using Evernote if this feature is not back in the next update.

• Like 3

I just updated and discovered that this crucial feature has been dropped. Please bring it back for all other reasons that the others mentioned in this thread. That feature was pretty crucial for how I use Evernote. 

• Like 2

Very disappointed this and other functionality have been eliminated. I had a whole organization system that depended on being able to sort notes by tag, with tags indicating the note's priority. Big time bummer, total loss of utility. A very considerable amount of my valuable time and work setting this system up are now totally out the window, because of the whims of the evernote team. My daily workflow destroyed. Why would evernote do this? Such a total lack of consideration as to how the functionality that they eliminate will affect paying users who depend on that functionality. Now what should I do, reinvent it all? Thoroughly disappointed!

-> Would you recommend Evernote to a friend? NEVER AGAIN

And, the whole app slowed down with the latest update. 

• Like 3
On 3/6/2021 at 6:26 PM, shaolin007 said:

+1 I user it for GTD and not being able to sort by tags is a huge problem for me.

I follow GTD with Evernote. The people at Tonic had a great tutorial years ago and called it the secret weapon (for Getting Things Done). Anyways... sorting by tags is crucial. It's how I can sort all of my notes @Work and 1-Now as when it's due. Then the 2-Next tagged tasks would follow, with 3-Soon, you get the idea. I need sorting by tags. I pay for Evernote and I feel like a feature I was paying for has been removed without warning.

I need to know when this feature will be restored, or if it's not in your product roadmap to restore it so I can evaluate other note/task software.

• Like 1