Energy Consumption - a very *** CRITICAL *** problem since v10.0

GibyLovesEvernote

Idea

Happy New Year!

I love Evernote so much that I think I should sit down and write a report, again.
(I posted in November in the other forum/section and had found that I should post it here in the MacOS section)

○The fact about power/energy consumption

Here is my post again, with few modifications.

// ~~~~~ begin ~~~~~
In October 2020, I switched from my old MacOS(Serria)  to Mojave with old Evernote and, updated Evernote to the latest version, v10.0.10.   I enjoyed very much the dark theme.  Thank you very much!  I love Evernote so much that, except web browsers, Evernote is almost the 1st application I have to install for my daily use.

However , after using it for 2 weeks, I think I should write a report to you.  Obviously, 
there are few things that was not as good as the old version.

4) Bug#1 - system or note loading
When I double click any note on the list of notes, the pop-window shows nothing except that there is the name of the note on the title bar of the window.  I need to restart the app to avoid the bug.

3) Bug#2 searching
Even I use the shortcut "command + alt + F ", as shown on the menu,  it doesn't show any search box.

2) Slow loading/GUI
The response time of searching and GUI (probably loading of note) is slower than the old version.

1) Energy consumption - ***a VERY SERIOUS problem*** ★★★
Obviously, the current version consumes MORE energy than the old version.  Attached please find the screenshot of "Activity", it shows that Evernote consumes MORE energy than Zoom and Firebox!   The average energy climbs up to double digits! 
In the old version, both of these situations NEVER happened!  I can not understand that a note app can consume more energy than the two apps above which do more complicated things.   BTW, I am used to open two to three notes at the same time within the app.  If you need, I can reproduce the problem to you again since it happens very often.

From time to time, I enjoy using my Mac in cafe for four or more hours without any electric supply, so this a very fatal problem for me.  What's more, the battery life of my laptop is LIMITED.

// ~~~~~ end ~~~~~

○What I can do 
If it is necessary, I have the following prepared on my Mac books to help your analyze the problem.
- XCode and some modules
-MacOS Mojove
-whatever you like, please suggest.

○My background as a user
200x I used to use Outlook for memo on my Windows Mobile
    Few years later, I switched to Google Note but after few years, the service was terminated.
2011 On my 1st Android phone,  I started to use Evernote, and also the app on Windows
2013 On my 1st mac book, I started to use Evernote.
2020 Nov/Dec
After my report above, I updated to 10.2.4 but I could not find any improvement.  In Nov/Dec, I updated to 10.4.4 but it still remains unchanged.  I gave up to use the client around Dec 16th because of the new limit for Basic Plan user.   Maybe I should choose to download an older version of Evernote, pay for it and wait but... it won't help in long term.

○My feeling as a long-term user
Today, I have just briefly read your CEO interview in engadget.com, called "evernote-cross-platform-note-taking-app-redesign-interview".  I understand that you rebuild everything and you have the reasonsssss behind.

I hope you still care your users so far and I hope I won't need to switch to the other  app for memo.  Unlike Skype/Hotmail/etc, I hope you can still keep independent, small and smart.

BTW, since the new limit of number of devices for Basic Plan user is imposed in Nov/Dec, I have uninstalled the app on MacOS.  I don't mind to pay if, someday, the MacOS client is improved but, until that time, I am going to use it from the browser whenever I can go online.  (I mean someday, I still hope to use the **improved** client  offline)

Best wishes from an Evernote lover.

#PowerConsumption
#EnergyConsumption
#BatteryLife

EN-powerConsumption-feedback-Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 7.23.09 PM.png

EN-powerConsumption2-Screen Shot 2020-11-29 at 10.27.33 AM.png

• Like 5

10 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Try to run Chrome as a browser, check the energy consumption. Pretty bad ...

Now assume you open a Chrom(ium ) Session in the background, place an App inside, wrap it up and call it EN v10.

Check the energy consumption ...

• Haha 2
On 1/3/2021 at 8:49 PM, PinkElephant said:

Try to run Chrome as a browser, check the energy consumption. Pretty bad ...

Now assume you open a Chrom(ium ) Session in the background, place an App inside, wrap it up and call it EN v10.

Check the energy consumption ...

Thanks for the post, yes, I have heard that they use Electron as the framework...  I wish that they have workaround. :)

(BTW, by making it a web app, their development cost will be lower for sure...)

From time to time, I enjoy using my Mac in cafe for four or more hours without any electric supply, so this a very fatal problem for me.  What's more, the battery life of my laptop is LIMITED.

One more scenario, I am used to write and read Evernote a lot during my flight while I am offline.  In that case, this  energy problem will force me do rethink my habit or, change to the other alternative.   After CONVID-19 settles down and more people can fly, MUCH MORE MacOS users will notice this problem, if not now.
That's why I call it CRITICAL, very critical.

• Like 1

I hope this gets priority soon.  VSCode also built with this framework is much better behaved energy-wise although the issue may be syncing.  But whatever, it takes my battery life down from 8-10 hours to 2-3 hours which is sometimes very inconvenient.

• Like 4

I have this issue with all the latest versions of the Mac Desktop application, not just in-browser. Literally drains my battery down to 2-3 hours from 8.  Anybody know of a fix?  Sounds like web version isn't any better.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Plug it to an outlet.

EN v10 is based on Chrome(ium), not known to go easy on batteries.

Or try legacy, at least when no socket is in reach. It can be installed and run side by side with v10. No new features, the old core features will run ok.

• Haha 1

The excessive power consumption is also a problem for me. The suggestions from Tech Support did not lead to a reduction of the power consumption. During the pandemic this was not a big problem since I was mostly at home. But I use it increasingly during trips (trains, airports, planes), which severely limits the battery capacity for my work. It is often not an option (or super cumbersome) to plug my mac into an outlet. I fear that Evernote damages my mac hardware while running on the battery.

Upgrading MacOS to Monterey also does not solve the problem. I love Evernote, but started to look for alternatives. Any suggestions?

I alerted Sales at Evernote that I put their product under review and may not renew the subscription. However, I have not received a reply from them, indicating there may be no solution available in the next few months. Apparently this has been a problem that has been known for more than year with no timeline when it will be solved.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

EN runs inside of a framework that is based on Chrome(ium). Rings a bell ? Chrome is (in)famous for using resources, be it CPU, RAM or energy. And that is basically it - the app is lean & clean, but it piggybacks on a resources hog. AFAIK this can’t be „fixed“ - it is as it is.

On 10/31/2021 at 11:01 PM, anglosuisse said:

The excessive power consumption is also a problem for me. The suggestions from Tech Support did not lead to a reduction of the power consumption. During the pandemic this was not a big problem since I was mostly at home. But I use it increasingly during trips (trains, airports, planes), which severely limits the battery capacity for my work. It is often not an option (or super cumbersome) to plug my mac into an outlet. I fear that Evernote damages my mac hardware while running on the battery.

Upgrading MacOS to Monterey also does not solve the problem. I love Evernote, but started to look for alternatives. Any suggestions?

I alerted Sales at Evernote that I put their product under review and may not renew the subscription. However, I have not received a reply from them, indicating there may be no solution available in the next few months. Apparently this has been a problem that has been known for more than year with no timeline when it will be solved.

YES, after the pandemic goes, more and more people will notice for sure!

YES, let's keep putting pressure on them.  We love the app very much... but when this v10 update came up, it is a nightmare.