Jump to content

Loving Evernote Back


Recommended Posts

I should like to begin 2021 with a virtual HUG and THANKS for the team at Evernote for providing such an accessible and useful tool; one which I couldn't be without.

I realise that against a tide of seeming upset with Evernote this comment is maybe a small voice - but - it's an honestly given shout out to the Evernote team for all their efforts.  Here, I appreciate the choices you have made and the challenges you face - and - I can see you have the scope to 'potentially' deliver a wonderful leap in this services abilities over the coming months.

Evernote for me delivers on so many levels

  • Electronic filing cabinet making me paperless in my personal life
  • Holiday and excursion planner, making it possible to keep literally everything together and be accessible anywhere
  • In my employed life you serve to assist me across every element of my working life from tracking working hours through to acting as a knowledge repository which eclipses anything my employers have.  I have a reputation as a person who remembers everything, well, thats only because I make notes here with Evernote and I can find anything in a flash and share that knowledge with people who don't have the foresight to do the same
  • In my extra curricular work life, assisting many small firms with their technical requirements; I keep everything easily at hand and can answer any query they have immediately

I have dabbled with other services and other softwares and did leave Evernote following the release of DEVONthink 3, believing that to be a better choice.  It's not - at least for me.  The sync between macOS software and iOS app broke 3 times requiring a full rebuild.  That coupled with formatting and sharing challenges brought me right back here to where things are simple and things do generally work.

I actually like v10, I was involved in the beta, it has some things missing over the legacy app, it does some things less well and other things it does better.  On balance it's certainly no worse than other services and systems out there and has so much potential to be better - without doubt!

2021 - lets see what v10 can do 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment

Could you let me know what your system setup is please because on my system Evernote 10 is completely and utterly unusable, it’s not a case of simply not liking Evernote 10 because of all the missing “essential” features and the glacial speed and the fact that it takes on average 3 times to get the program even to run on my computer, it’s that on my new iMac 8gig of ram it’s utterly unusable. 
(Evernote Classic runs on this same system like a dream, instantaneous). 
please share your setup that seems to work so well for you. 
Thank you. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Happy to; but we've both used quite open statements.  What is unusable?  That suggests it doesn't launch/install?  Could you narrow in a little and expand on what specifically is the main issue?

 

Link to comment

@danio72 I second your sentiments... while the Evernote v10 is not (yet) as good as it should be... it works much better for me than the prior version did and it remains head and shoulders above other available solutions in my opinion.  My few gripes (some of which are pretty big, such as the inability to sort by reminder date in search results and difficulty quickly switching to a different notebook) should *hopefully* be resolved soon, as they don't seem like major issues.

I am also curious what @MrIllustrator means by "unusable"... for most commenters on the thread that suggests that there was some prior function that was critical for their workflow that is not supported (i.e. local notebooks, lack of apple script support).  As far as I have seen, there really aren't any other solutions out there that have those missing functions either (or at least not all of them), as most have been sticking with Legacy to see if the features that make the v10 unusable are added back. 

I personally am finding the new Evernote much better and also look forward to what features/enhancements are to come in 2021 (and beyond)!!!  

  • Like 5
Link to comment
3 hours ago, danio72 said:

Evernote for me delivers on so many levels

  • Electronic filing cabinet making me paperless in my personal life

If you have gone paperless to anything like the extent that I have you must I am sure have thousands of notes with attached PDFs of documents etc. If this is so does it not annoy you that Evernote will no longer search within those documents? It annoys the hell out of me and takes away a massive feature I depend on.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I agree with @danio72... after using the new Evernote since it launched, in my opinion it's the best version ever.  Web and apps work seamlessly for me now, regardless of which device I'm using. Formatting tools work the way I expect them to. And while some features are no longer supported (like local notebooks), for me the clarity outweighs the inconvenience. I can now focus more attention on the project at hand, and less on how to use Evernote. Sure, there is room for improvement, and every user will always have a wish list of features. I just wanted to let Evernote's developers know that for this user, the new version is a huge step in the right direction. Thank You!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
35 minutes ago, QFieldBoden said:

If you have gone paperless to anything like the extent that I have you must I am sure have thousands of notes with attached PDFs of documents etc. If this is so does it not annoy you that Evernote will no longer search within those documents? It annoys the hell out of me and takes away a massive feature I depend on.

@JCummings that is weird, as the new Evernote definitely still searches within the contents of attached PDFs for me... it doesn't for you?  I have over 15,000 notes and most have attachments.  I don't often use Evernote to search within the documents, as my titles have descriptions that allow me to find what I am looking for by searching "intitle:".  However, I just tested searching for a phrase (put it in quotes) that was within an attached PDF on a note I uploaded yesterday and it found the note.  I also know that it works to even find word matches against handwritten notes saved as PDFs from Goodnotes, as I just tested that as well (although it is a little unreliable due to my poor handwriting).

Link to comment
Just now, QFieldBoden said:

No, it doesn't. I'm using the Mac version on an iMac.

Me to... but it works within Mac, iOS or web for me.  That is very odd... maybe try uninstalling and reinstalling, or submit a ticket, as that is definitely not a feature they "dropped" with the new version.  I haven't seen other threads with similar complaints, but you should be able to search within documents.

Link to comment
2 minutes ago, aukirk said:

Me to... but it works within Mac, iOS or web for me.  That is very odd... maybe try uninstalling and reinstalling, or submit a ticket, as that is definitely not a feature they "dropped" with the new version.  I haven't seen other threads with similar complaints, but you should be able to search within documents.

I wasn't the only one: 

 

Link to comment
5 minutes ago, QFieldBoden said:

Finds a word in a JPEG but not a PDF.

Using 10.5.7 here on macOS 11.1 - I have 10,558 notes many as you say are notes with oftentimes multiple PDF attached.  I just searched the entire note list for the authorisation number on a random PDF - search found it and highlighted the number as you can see.

is that whats not working for you?

Screen_Capture_-_Jan_2__5_49_PM.png

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I've just lost confidence in it completely. If I open my system in the Legacy version it tells me I have 9419 notes. v10 opening the same database tells me I have 9206, iOS gives me a different number! Try to open a note with a checklist in it, nothing displays in v10, fine in Legacy. It's hopeless. Submitting a support ticket these days is just a black hole too.

Link to comment
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, QFieldBoden said:

I've just lost confidence in it completely. If I open my system in the Legacy version it tells me I have 9419 notes. v10 opening the same database tells me I have 9206, iOS gives me a different number! Try to open a note with a checklist in it, nothing displays in v10, fine in Legacy. It's hopeless. Submitting a support ticket these days is just a black hole too.

I would be solving this without support teams help

  • Web is the point of truth as far as I'm concerned; I always check here first to be sure things have ended up in the right place and actually I am always signed into web so that I can see that as regularly as I want.  I hope in future to not have to do this but for now V10 still needs an eye keeping on it as they work on further stability
  • I would look at how many notes are in Web, how many in Legacy and V10 macOS and iOS
  • Legacy may have local note content which would need to be taken into account
  • If Web and Legacy are the same but iOS and V10 are lower, that suggests something is wrong with sync.  I would check that all my note content is present in Web, recent edits etc so that there is no chance of loss and then remove and reinstall both V10 and iOS with a clean up of the V10 directories in-between.  The process for this is in Forum
  • If Web and V10 match then it's working OK and the higher count in Legacy is purely local notes; thats not a fault of course
  • If iOS is wrong count... I'd just delete and reinstall and let it sync up; personally I no longer bother with offline items because 4G and 5G is so widely available along with WiFi it's not needed in my area of home and work life

I might be covering ground here you've already looked at, apologies if thats the case.  My Web, Legacy [on a different computer to my V10], V10 and iOS are all in alignment - I haven't had an issue with this except once in beta where a note failed to sync and have to be deleted out to restore order - one of the items you often encounter with any beta testing and it hasn't happened since

 

Edited by danio72
word salad
Link to comment

Very helpful, thank you for taking the time.

Web 9201

v10 9206

Legacy 9419

iOS 9214

I'll have to give it some thought whether I think this is worth the effort of all the fiddling.

Link to comment
19 hours ago, danio72 said:

I might be covering ground here you've already looked at, apologies if thats the case.  My Web, Legacy [on a different computer to my V10], V10 and iOS are all in alignment - I haven't had an issue with this except once in beta where a note failed to sync and have to be deleted out to restore order - one of the items you often encounter with any beta testing and it hasn't happened since

 

Decided to ditch the iOS versions on the iPhone and iPad and think about those at some point in the future. Tidied things a bit, did a bit of housekeeping, and have got things to the point where I can see no reason that v10, Web and Legacy shouldn't be the same. I've even been through the note counts on the notebooks all three systems and checked them and they all look identical. However, "All notes" returns the following:

Legacy: 9417

v10: 9423

Web: 9417

Closer than I was before this process but I have no idea why the v10 version should return a higher total note count.

Link to comment
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, QFieldBoden said:

Decided to ditch the iOS versions on the iPhone and iPad and think about those at some point in the future. Tidied things a bit, did a bit of housekeeping, and have got things to the point where I can see no reason that v10, Web and Legacy shouldn't be the same. I've even been through the note counts on the notebooks all three systems and checked them and they all look identical. However, "All notes" returns the following:

Legacy: 9417

v10: 9423

Web: 9417

Closer than I was before this process but I have no idea why the v10 version should return a higher total note count.

It's a pain but you could add a temp tag like Legacy to the notes on legacy, sync,  sync on V10, and then do a -tag:Legacy search on V10 and web to see what's left.  Hopefully 0 on Web and dups on V10.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, QFieldBoden said:

Closer than I was before this process but I have no idea why the v10 version should return a higher total note count.

Is trash emptied on all?  I’ve seen differences there throw off note counts.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, CalS said:

It's a pain but you could add a temp tag like Legacy to the notes on legacy, sync,  sync on V10, and then do a -tag:Legacy search on V10 and web to see what's left.  Hopefully 0 on Web and dups on V10.

That would be a pain indeed, I bet it's just v10 not adding up properly! TBH I think I will just live with it but thanks for the thought!

Link to comment
4 hours ago, CalS said:

It's a pain but you could add a temp tag like Legacy to the notes on legacy, sync,  sync on V10, and then do a -tag:Legacy search on V10 and web to see what's left.  Hopefully 0 on Web and dups on V10.

Well, I decided to follow your suggestion and this was the result. Added tag "Legacy" to all notes in Legacy, 9417 notes tagged. Ran Sync, searched for tag "Legacy" on Web and all 9417 were tagged, all good so far. Ran Evernote v10 and allowed to sync, Evernote v10 is saying there are 9423 notes if you recall. After sync searched for notes tagged Legacy, 9417 returned, good. Searched for all notes WITHOUT the tag "Legacy" expecting to see the six "strays" and guess what, ZERO. So v10 says there are 9423 notes, it says 9417 have the tag "Legacy" AND it says there are ZERO notes WITHOUT the tag "Legacy". How crazy is that? I used the syntax you suggested for the search, ie. -tag:Legacy

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Level 5

Maybe you created some corrupted notes with early v10-releases. They may sync and show, but you can't search them.

Happened to me twice, with EN iOS prior to v10.2.

Another issue could be notes in notebooks shared to you by others. Legacy does find them in search, v10 doesn't.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Level 5*
6 hours ago, QFieldBoden said:

AND it says there are ZERO notes WITHOUT the tag "Legacy". How crazy is that?

Could be as simple as the counter display is in error in V10, for whatever reason.  An easier debug case for them if that is the case....

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...