[Fixed in Version 10.6] Continuous Release Note Pop-Up

Don0819

Idea

10.5.0 is not the latest version for MacOS, it's 10.5.7. I suggest you manually update.

• MAC

The most recent version is 10.5.7 build 2171. Released December 16, 2020.

Evernote for Mac 10.5.7 is available now from the Mac App Store, or as a direct download version from our website. If you're already running the direct download version, you do not need to take any action and will see an automatic update soon.

17 minutes ago, gallde said:

10.5.0 is not the latest version for MacOS, it's 10.5.7. I suggest you manually update.

• MAC

The most recent version is 10.5.7 build 2171. Released December 16, 2020.

Evernote for Mac 10.5.7 is available now from the Mac App Store, or as a direct download version from our website. If you're already running the direct download version, you do not need to take any action and will see an automatic update soon.

It seems faintly ironic that a user is told "you are up to date!" when this forum says 'you are not up to date!'...

And that when the problem was marked 'fixed' it was not fixed but we were told to watch this thread...

And when watching this thread, the problem is fixed (maybe) but we are not informed...

*sigh*

Another frustrated user here.  Long time paying Evernote customer and am having to consider switching to a competitor.  I'm getting the "You're up to date!" popup every time I log back into my Mac.  This, in addition to making the app harder to use, has me thinking about going elsewhere.

BTW - where is the solve for this annoying popup since this thread is marked as solved?

• Like 1
On 1/3/2021 at 8:58 PM, gallde said:

It looks like they fixed the "you're up to date" popup issue, anyone still getting it?

Now if they'd only fix the tray icon click (or double-click) not directly opening the main program...

I just saw it again, with version 10.5.7 just now on OS X.  Good news.  I'm up to date AGAIN with the same version!  :-)

On 12/30/2020 at 11:05 AM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

Just wanted to let you know that we are aware of this issue, are able to reproduce it, and are working to fix it as quickly as we can.

I'll follow-up here once I have an update on the fix.

Thank you.  I joined this forum JUST to complaint about this feature.  I'm ready to drop my paid subscription for this kind of spamming - that's the kind of annoying (and productivity-killing) distraction that companies do to push you into paid plans.  Don't do this to your paying customers.  You'll drive them all away. 

BTW I'm using Evernote on a Windows machine.  It's not just the Mac versions doing this. 

You are all absolutely correct, I take back any suggestion I made that this might have been fixed. I just got the useless popup again, saying I'm up to date with 10.5.7. I leave Evernote (Windows) open and minimized on my desktop between uses, and I was NOT using it at the time the popup appeared over the window I was using. Oy! Evernote, no excuses anymore, you need to fix this issue ASAP!

On 12/27/2020 at 2:20 PM, natkuhn said:

Infuriating

I submitted a ticket at https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new

You need to make some choices, and it may suggest that you go to the community forums (i.e., back here), but after I made the choices, a button appeared at the bottom left saying "Submit Ticket" (Send us an email whenever your need us). I am a premium subscriber, I'm pretty sure it would not appear without that. But you can also got the "Technical Issues > Other > User interface issues." They will want a screen shot, but you could copy from here if you don't have your own.

I also included a link to this thread, saying I was not the only person with this problem.

Just got one again.

I opened a support ticket a while back on this subject and they responded 'it's known bug'.

But did nothing.

They seem totally oblivious to how annoying a popup is - living in a bubble.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Submitted ticket and it was set to "resolved" when the CSR emailed me that "yeah, it exists. Yeah, people are complaining. No, we don't have a clue if it'll ever be fixed". So, whoever they have as support is getting a lot of credit for "solving" issues, but nothing will get fixed. Sad, sad state for Evernote. 

🤬  No solution has been presented yet, even though Shane D. has posted a "solve". This popup is not only annoying, it is interrupting both work and play. It doesn't matter whether I'm 300 rows deep in SQL Server Management Studio or trying to kill a creeper in Minecraft, this useless message pops up! Kill the message before I switch to one of your many competitors. I've been a premium user for eight years.

• Like 1

Since I got to 10.5.7, Evernote likes to interrupt what I'm working on (outside of Evernote) several times a day to let me know that Evernote is up to date.  

It's super annoying (especially if I'm sharing my screen).  The only way I can stop it is to turn Evernote off completely.  How do I stop this obnoxious notification?

image.png.0d08a14c1145c0036b1f30a5b058364e.png

• Like 3

I opened a new support ticket and they responded they are 'working to fix this'.  To which I respond:

1) The message is "You're up to date!" not 'you are up to date' as you stated.
2) For me it occurs randomly or possibly on a clock, not at startup.  Others have reported it happening on startup.  Randomly (or timed) is especially annoying and disruptive.
3) You say you are 'currently working to fix this' So why is it marked 'solved' on the forum by staff member Shane D on Dec 30 at the same time he says "we are working to fix it as quickly as we can" which shows it is not solved, and why are you closing people's support tickets as 'solved'?
4) It is now Jan 6.  If Evernote, working 'as quickly as it can' takes this long to fix a pop-up, it might be time to do a bit of navel-gazing over there at evernote.

• Like 1

same here.  windows 10.  v 10.5.7 build 2171 public
Editor: v114.1.14753
Service: v1.25.2
© 2019 - 2021 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

how do i stop these "i'm up to date" popups?

33 minutes ago, Don0819 said:

Ah, this is much better....this is how the NAG message came up this morning. I wonder if I am on the most current release version? 😁

Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 10.12.43 AM.png

I got the same.  I thought I was going mad.

Oh well, I guess they can say it's solved because there's no pop-up message.  Just a blank popup.

Nice to know that they are working on it... give them a few more weeks and they might figure out how the code works... and then maybe test it???  and then release it???

I've had evernote for 7 years I guess--been a premium member for most of that time.  Over this period I've seen the annual cost of the app rise too much.  As a Mac user, I have weird quirks in a note where Evernote just decides how it wants to format. That was one of a couple of support tickets over the last few years that never got resolved.  I sent screen shots, recordings to show the behavior--and they never fixed it.  It was time consuming--too much for my busy schedule.

I wish it hadn't come to this--but I just finished exporting my notes to another app.  It will be another couple of hours to clean up formatting issues between Evernote and the new app.  In the process, every time I opened a notebook and exported the notes--I would have to reload the page before I could open a new notebook.  Yet another in a long line of weird, annoying bugs or quirks. I just wish I Evernote had just once offered some compensation for the frustration over my years of loyalty as I worked around the issues.  It is my hope that they figure out how to do a better job. The features are the best out there.  Other apps are more simple--but I guess there's something to be said for learning how to simplify your life.

Just another user annoyed by the daily update popups on MacOS. Maybe not the most important bug, but very visible and leaves a bad impression. Uninstalled, downloaded and reinstalled Evernote-10.5.7-2171.dmg on MacOS 10.13.6 to no avail. Can no longer recommend this product.

The daily "up to date" message is a real workflow disruptor. It seems this thread is becoming like a petition. How many more users people need to complain before this is fixed?  

Thanks

1 hour ago, flyteach said:

@RevBarryJ As a fellow Mac user, may I ask what app you are exporting to? I'm an 11 year user who used EN to make my life simpler. It did until recently and now I'll take the time to move on.

I'm going to Apple Notes. It is simple, and I've been able to import my notes from EV.  If you want to have the notes duplicated across devices, you have to create notebooks under the, "All iCloud" category and allow them to save to the cloud.  When you open Apple Notes on another device, it downloads from the cloud. 

I'm going to maintain Evernote Basic until I'm certain I'm happy with this new arrangement.  I'm still going to shop around though.  I know I'm done with Evernote Premium.

• Like 2

Hi Developers,

Please implement an option that allow members to select turning the "You're Up-to-Date" popup windown off or to display the desired pop-up frequency or to display the notification only if there is a change.  I can be in the middle of recording a school lesson, and this mesage randomly pops-up, annoying. This annoyance is a recent trend since the 10.5.7 update. Thank you.

• Like 1

Since the change of how updates are downloaded there have now been constant updates.  There is an infuriating pop up box saying your up to date and advertising with welcome, release notes and coming soon messages.

I cannot find a way to shut this annoying pop up box off and it comes up every day near enough.

Can someone tell me how to shut it off?

thanks

Craig

Capture.JPG

10 hours ago, Don0819 said:

Ah, this is much better....this is how the NAG message came up this morning. I wonder if I am on the most current release version? 😁

Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 10.12.43 AM.png

Yeah I've seen that several times too.  This bug is so old I'm seeing different versions of it.  

19 hours ago, RevBarryJ said:

I'm going to Apple Notes. It is simple, and I've been able to import my notes from EV.  If you want to have the notes duplicated across devices, you have to create notebooks under the, "All iCloud" category and allow them to save to the cloud.  When you open Apple Notes on another device, it downloads from the cloud. 

I'm going to maintain Evernote Basic until I'm certain I'm happy with this new arrangement.  I'm still going to shop around though.  I know I'm done with Evernote Premium.

A friend of mine recommended Notion ( https://www.notion.so/ ) - she was able to import her EN docs. I haven't tried it yet so do your own research :D

I have turned off all notifications and still the attached image pops up on my screen, usually when I am I working and do not want to be distracted (which is why notifcations are off).

I am posting this here because I do not believe this is a technical problem, I believe that this is something Evernote has to change. If I am wrong, please tell me. If I am right, Evernote - please stop this annoying popup.

Annoying Evernote Popup 8JAN2021.JPG

I am an IT Director so tech is my livelihood. Personally, I am not too concerned about the popup - certainly not upset enough to quit Evernote. Evernote is awesome. We are all imperfect, so we have to expect that things will not always go smoothly, especially with a software package that likely has thousands of lines of code. Since I have no issue using the software and only had to deal with an occasional popup, I am in good shape. This is a very minor issue and I would only BARELY qualify it as an inconvenience. So these are my thoughts. Worth what you paid for them :)

I am on Windows 10 and had been getting the same popup.

• The following is what I did to resolve this issue and a fully patched Windows 10 Professional PC.
  • This worked for me and does not guarantee it will work for anyone else.
  • I do not work for and am not affiliated with Evernote.
  • These steps came from my own investigation. Evernote support was not contacted by me prior to this and had no involvement.
  • Please do backup your computer before attempting anything below (assuming this post is approved).
  1. Download the latest version from https://evernote.com/download
  2. Export all notebooks to back them up, just in case - https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360053159414
  3. I noted that there was this folder - %AppData%\Local\evernote-client-updater. Inside that folder was a folder called 'pending'. Inside that was a file called update-info.json.
  4. I noted the contents of the json file: {"fileName":"Evernote-10.5.7-2171-setup.exe","sha512":"IAgMRflGMh9lkajz0l49xDcbhu+utxReiYq62YtNa7BwbbVQWGJIVdErcIc3kY6O6afcMFTGBjKNeaCXXIIUQQ==","isAdminRightsRequired":false}
  5. I then uninstalled Evernote.
  6. Then I reinstalled using the newly downloaded file, and found that it logged me back into the app, so it may have stored my credentials in the %appdata% folder somewhere or maybe in the registry.
  7. I found that the update-info.json file located in %AppData%\Local\evernote-client-updater was gone. Makes me wonder if the program was using that file to throw up the alerts. Finally this leads me to wonder if I could have just removed the json file and restarted the application.

The popup issue has not returned since I did this.

Blessings to you

Now Jan 8th and I am seeing this every fricken day.  How is this so difficult?  First post on this was 12/21/2020.  18 days and you can't find the code to one stinking pop up and disable it?  You have to be kidding me right?  Evernote you are losing customers over this stupid bug.  I just filed a bug report on this.  We will see what kind of response I get.  This is beyond ridiculous.

48 minutes ago, rimcrazy said:

Now Jan 8th and I am seeing this every fricken day.  How is this so difficult?  First post on this was 12/21/2020.  18 days and you can't find the code to one stinking pop up and disable it?  You have to be kidding me right?  Evernote you are losing customers over this stupid bug.  I just filed a bug report on this.  We will see what kind of response I get.  This is beyond ridiculous.

response I got yesterday: 

Again, my sincerest apology for the inconvenience this has caused you. Please know that our development team is taking extra effort to fix the issue.

Your utmost understanding and extended patience is highly appreciated.

Amazing, just totally amazing.  

This has been happening to me for a couple of weeks as well and is driving me crazy, since it really shockingly yanks the screen away from whatever app I'm working in to give me its idiotic report. I'm on a 2019 Macbook Pro 10.15.7. Evernote is, in fact, up to date (10.5.7). How close are you to fixing this? I have been dithering about finding an alternative to Evernote since exporting will be a pain, but this is daily motivation.

I am receiving frequent popup notifications from Evernote's Windows app, which appear to be the result of the app automatically checking for updates. It's not clear why the Release Notes popup is appearing at all, since the announcement banner on the website indicates that 10.5.7 has been the most current version since December 15. Nonetheless, not only are these unnecessary repeat alerts occurring at least daily, they also steal focus from the current application whenever they appear, minimizing any fullscreen applications in use.

As far as I can tell, there doesn't appear to be any option in the app preferences to disable these post-update/post-check notifications, or to turn off automatic checking for updates altogether...in fact, there don't appear to be any preferences at all. (I recently reinstalled Evernote after migrating away several years ago, but so far it looks as though a significant amount of previously-existing functionality has actually been removed since then. I'm not sure if this is some sort of artificially-hobbled version just for free users, or if the app has been stripped of these features entirely.)

Does anyone know why this popup continues to appear, or how to disable it?

evernote-update-notification.jpg

21 hours ago, bluzegtr said:

I am an IT Director so tech is my livelihood. Personally, I am not too concerned about the popup - certainly not upset enough to quit Evernote. Evernote is awesome. We are all imperfect, so we have to expect that things will not always go smoothly, especially with a software package that likely has thousands of lines of code. Since I have no issue using the software and only had to deal with an occasional popup, I am in good shape. This is a very minor issue and I would only BARELY qualify it as an inconvenience. So these are my thoughts. Worth what you paid for them :)

I am on Windows 10 and had been getting the same popup.

• The following is what I did to resolve this issue and a fully patched Windows 10 Professional PC.
  • This worked for me and does not guarantee it will work for anyone else.
  • I do not work for and am not affiliated with Evernote.
  • These steps came from my own investigation. Evernote support was not contacted by me prior to this and had no involvement.
  • Please do backup your computer before attempting anything below (assuming this post is approved).
  1. Download the latest version from https://evernote.com/download
  2. Export all notebooks to back them up, just in case - https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360053159414
  3. I noted that there was this folder - %AppData%\Local\evernote-client-updater. Inside that folder was a folder called 'pending'. Inside that was a file called update-info.json.
  4. I noted the contents of the json file: {"fileName":"Evernote-10.5.7-2171-setup.exe","sha512":"IAgMRflGMh9lkajz0l49xDcbhu+utxReiYq62YtNa7BwbbVQWGJIVdErcIc3kY6O6afcMFTGBjKNeaCXXIIUQQ==","isAdminRightsRequired":false}
  5. I then uninstalled Evernote.
  6. Then I reinstalled using the newly downloaded file, and found that it logged me back into the app, so it may have stored my credentials in the %appdata% folder somewhere or maybe in the registry.
  7. I found that the update-info.json file located in %AppData%\Local\evernote-client-updater was gone. Makes me wonder if the program was using that file to throw up the alerts. Finally this leads me to wonder if I could have just removed the json file and restarted the application.

The popup issue has not returned since I did this.

Blessings to you

Hey bluzegtr

That's very ingenious.  

You may not be a staff member, but you are indeed much loved at Evernote... so much so that they use your eulogy to Evernote as the snippet for this thread! That's amazing!  Out of all the posts, they use one that praises Evernote most highly - like an Amazon ***** review!!! 

See snippet below: "I am not too concerned about the popup" 

Hilarious!!!!!!!!!!

image.thumb.png.d3f68a32a3edcb07d3e9b0d52d266c49.png

DITTO DITTO AND DITTO!! I have NEVER seen an app do this ... a popup that sits in front of ALL applications just to tell me about upcoming releases?!? 

Are you kidding??

I'll just mention, the only reason I'm in the forum was to report a really annoying bug with displaying messages that has about a million comments on that topic. That's where your attention should be not on announcing upcoming release. Fix the bugs! 

You want to announce how great your software is, not how great it is going to be. 

Djees, there are two reasons I regret missing to cancel my yearly plan in time:

- Issues with the recent major change from local DB to cloud based. All the hiccups have been very scary especially knowing that due to Corona I'm not working in low/infrequent/interrupting Wifi/4G connections.. But I'll give them some time to get it right..

- This ridiculous popup that started to irritate me after the 5th consecutive day..  Get it fixed!!

Damn..

Same here. After having used and paid for Evernote for over 12 years, this broken updater as well as the recent UI "fixes" that have removed features (like quick search) and made it harder to use have me considering switching to Notion.

Is anyone @EverNotelistening??

• Like 1

You know what? I love this window. I want to be kept up to date with your plans, aspirations and debates, Evernote. I want you to force 5 more windows, summarising your daily team meetings, your monthly plans and political views. And you should require a password entry to close it. This way you can make sure that every one of us will spend some time deliberating your updates and pondering on the directions you are taking with your wonderful product. MORE DISCUSSION, MORE INFO, MORE POP-UPS. PLEASE!!!! 

Love, peace, sunshine!

Kindly yours forever! 

P

• Like 1

I gotta be honest, this can't be more than a few lines of code if any at all. They could presumably just swallow their pride and comment out or not call the dialog box in the first place. This is an embarrassingly easy fix. Really speaks volumes to the quality of product we can expect going forward.

Just adding my voice in case numbers count. I've just submitted a support request to have the 'feature' removed. My guess is that their marketing department doesn't realize that annoying users does not help them make money.

Same issue here. 

I''m disappointed that this issue was raised a while back, complaints from multiple people, and should be relatively easy to fix? But no indication that this will happen anytime soon. 

Please respond to our issue by indicating what the expected time will be to fixed this? Or is Evernote unwilling to fix it? 

Kind regards.
JT

It's clear to me (personally) that EN is unwilling or unable to fix it. The blog from the CEO said that they can do things faster now. Well, yeah, they went fast from a working program to one that becomes nearly unusable and breaks one's workflow with that silly popup. Not even sure management is aware of the issue since any tickets opened about this get "resolved" when the CSR responds with "yeah, we know".

15 minutes ago, flyteach said:

It's clear to me (personally) that EN is unwilling or unable to fix it. The blog from the CEO said that they can do things faster now. Well, yeah, they went fast from a working program to one that becomes nearly unusable and breaks one's workflow with that silly popup. Not even sure management is aware of the issue since any tickets opened about this get "resolved" when the CSR responds with "yeah, we know".

I got this response to my support ticket yesterday:

Regarding the issue about the "You're up to date" pop-up, it shows on my end that the issue should fixed on the next update of Evernote version 10.6.

In the meantime, the workaround is to download the Evernote Legacy app. Please follow the instructions in this Help & Learning article: Install an older version of Evernote.

They seem oblivious to how annoying/disruptive a popup is/can be e.g. in video meetings.  It is infuriating that they are so clueless.

Not only do I continue getting the pop-up but half the time when I try to open a new note, the whole tool hangs.  I've been on evernote for a decade and it seems to be really going downhill lately.  Feeling like it's time to start looking for alternatives.  What a bummer.

I emailed a contributing editor at a technology magazine a few days back about this topic - he has reviewed Evernote more than once.  He gave a detailed and thoughtful reply - amazing considering I just emailed him cold.  Two practical points:

1) just like Evernote helpdesk, she suggests going back to the legacy version both on Windows and Mac - you get manual sync and no popups.  https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

2) there's a much less feature-rich but open-source and 'bring your own storage' project called joplin which he is 'impressed by after testing competitors' - FWIW throw that into the huge mix of competing offerings if you feel really exceptionally brave  <facepalm>.  "It’s really easy to use, but underwhelming compared to Evernote’s features"

Being on the 'plus' tier (since abolished) I don't mind paying the smaller fee, so may stick with it for a while. 

Going back to legacy version now - I didn't enrol on a beta testing program which is what this seems to be.

On 12/30/2020 at 10:05 AM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

Just wanted to let you know that we are aware of this issue, are able to reproduce it, and are working to fix it as quickly as we can.

I'll follow-up here once I have an update on the fix.

2 weeks later... so when will the annoying update message go away?

Evernote support tell me today wednesday:   "According to our development team, Evernote version 10.6 has started rolling out this morning. For future updates, please visit this article: Evernote release notes  Thank you for your patience."

They also previously told me "the issue should fixed on the next update of Evernote version 10.6."

Sadly the release notes are still for 10.5.7, but one can hope 10.6 will solve this.

Joined this forum for the only reason to express my rage about this bug - and more specifically the fact that a fix could not be made sooner.
Have had to close that stupid dialog COUNTLESS times already. This is the kind of bug is like a thorn in the eye of the most loyal users as they are affected the most.
Yes sure it's been Christmas and holidays and what not but that is not a valid excuse for a company of this size to bring out a simple fix.
If they can't follow up with bug fixes faster than this, then they shouldn't release just before the holidays. Don't deploy and go on vacation! In that case wait until after.

Good news in recent posts that 10.6 apparently is starting to roll out, but it may be too little too late for me.
Exactly like others have said here: Have been a paying customer for many years and have been looking with concern at increasing prices and questionable new features instead of fixing core features that have been buggy. This very well could be the final straw. I will be starting to look around for alternative services.

I totally agree. The update check should not pop-up every day just because EN is doing its background checking. If there is a new version, sure, show us - but popping up the window every day that says, "You're up to date!" is lame and annoying. 

Since version 10.0 and above for Mac OS, everytime Evernote updates (which is daily) I get a SUPER-ANNOYING notification that bounces me off the window I'm working on, to the notification window. It is a total interruption of workflow, and IS SUPER, MEGA-FREAKING ANNOYING AND MAKES ME WANT TO KNOCK PEOPLE'S HATS OFF THEIR HEADS.

Please fix this ASAP. Thank you. 

Evernote .. once one of the best products ever, now ruined by developers who have zero idea why we use it ... SIMPLICITY!  You are not adding value by adding little used functionality causing the program to run poorly and making it much harder to use.  Do not understand why developers think more low value functionality is better.  Simple rule from Microsoft early days ... 90% of users only access 10% of the functionality.  The rest is bloatware used by 10% of the uses, yet becomes 90% of the functionality.  I just want an easy to use notes in the sky platform.  BTW stop sending me the update notes .. I could care less given THAT YOU BASICALLY TOOK ALL THE SETTINGS AND MY USER CONTROL AWAY!!!!!

I so agree.  I even opened OneNote to try to think abt migrating, but it is impenetrable.  So stuck here for now.  Get RID of the B8888 notifications which say nothing new and are absolutely waste of space, AND make it reliable off line  Basically if I am not in a wifi zone I can forget making it work any more.  I thought that was the whole point of this app.....