[Fixed in Version 10.6] Continuous Release Note Pop-Up

Don0819

Idea

• Level 5
On 12/21/2020 at 8:07 AM, Don0819 said:

It's nice Evernote checks for updates every day now it seems, but why do they have to pop up this dialog box requiring a click every day?

The popup is especially galling because it seems to hype what's "coming soon"—but the future appears to focus on EXTRA features, not the current performance debacle.

Of course I'm delighted by new (or restored) features: I just hope this philosophy is not distracting the programmers from launching a stable app.

• Like 1

I am also having this issue occur at least once a day.  The worst part is that I had this pop up appear during an at home exam where any other applications are not supposed to be open!  To clarify... To comply with exam rules I was somehow able to closeout the evernote app on my macbook yet this pop-up appeared during the middle of my exam anyway.  When this occurred it automatically opened the evernote app back up while minimizing my exam software.  My notes specific to that exam appeared right in the middle of the screen!  I am lucky that the exam moderator didn't see it as they would have failed me for sure and possibly even banned me from the organization!  Here are the details for my machine and the evernote app:

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)

MacOS Big Sur 11.1

v 10.5.7 build 2171 public
Editor: v114.1.14753
Service: v1.25.2

• Like 4

I'm sick of this popup. If this keeps up much longer, I'll be forced to export my data, close my account, and find another tool. It's too bad for as a paying customer for 11 years, Evernote starts this garbage with no ability to stop it.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Hard agree. This is unbelievably annoying. I prefer to check for updates manually, but even if it must be automatic - I never want to see a dialog unless it's informing me there's an update waiting. "Everything's OK" alerts are just nonsense.

I too have looked for some kind of setting, searched web and forums.

Also having this issue. There needs to be an option to turn this off. Back in the day "share ware" used to have something like this...it was called a "nag screen" for good reason. Whoever thought this was good marketing needs to try actually using the product—it's incredibly annoying and more than likely will lead to people (including myself) migrating away unless remediated.  

I just closed Evernote on my Mac - I"ll reopen it when I go using the entries in it, and close it again. I do have Web Clipper in Safari which I use a lot, I am hoping with Evernote closed and Web Clipper open it does not continue to do this. Why can't Evernote at least acknowledge the dissatisfaction and problem, and say it will be out in the next release or something? What's most aggravating is the almost prideful ignoring of how so many users feel. 

Good day

I upgraded to version 10.5.7 so far so good, but the 'What's new and new feature" window pop constantly, once I close the window, it's pop back again around 10-15 min, 

It's very annoying , is there a way to fix that ?

Thanks and have a nice day

Evernote pop up.png

I also just now created an account specifically to complain about this.

I'm glad Evernote finally updated the app from the previous behemoth, though I'm not sure I love some of the UI choices and don't feel like I can get around as easily.

But one thing I hate is unnecessary notifications and distractions, and this appears every day.

Please fix this soon.

On 12/25/2020 at 7:07 PM, PinkElephant said:

If they read it, one can’t see. What you can see is that the forum is mainly user to user. 

If you want to be sure they read it, issue a support ticket.

I have yet to have a support ticket that resulted in a fix for the bugs I've reported. I've put up with it for several years. I'm dropping back to basic membership as I transition to another note-taking option. Not ideal, but I'm tired of the problems I've encountered.

• Like 2

Count me as another one fed up with the daily update notification. It looks like I can submit a support ticket, so I will do that. It is probably on their bug list already, and it is likely a simple fix, but given that it doesn't affect the application functionality and is easily dealt with by hitting the ok button once a day, I expect it has a very low priority compared to anything seriously broken. More support tickets could help because the squeaky wheel gets the grease eventually.

Infuriating

I submitted a ticket at https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new

You need to make some choices, and it may suggest that you go to the community forums (i.e., back here), but after I made the choices, a button appeared at the bottom left saying "Submit Ticket" (Send us an email whenever your need us). I am a premium subscriber, I'm pretty sure it would not appear without that. But you can also got the "Technical Issues > Other > User interface issues." They will want a screen shot, but you could copy from here if you don't have your own.

I also included a link to this thread, saying I was not the only person with this problem.

Edited by natkuhn
explaining how to submit ticket

I also joined the forums specifically to complain about this.

It is incredibly annoying and disruptive when working. 

I personally will be submitting a daily trouble ticket until this is fixed.

Lets see how they like repeated annoyances.

This is happening to me too, but not quite as often.  I keep the app open all the time and I close this message when it appears.  I'd guess it probably takes more like 1 hr+ for it to come back.  I haven't timed it.  But in general, if I leave the computer for a decent amount of time, this message is there when I return.

I signed up to post the following information:

Now that there are no longer settings that let the user control the auto-updating process for the Windows Desktop App, I am going to cancel my Premium subscription and start using another Note-Taking system.

I have read several article that state very clearly that the new version of Evernote is a step backwards from previous versions.

To be fair, I will first try to downgrade to an earlier version, and then if that fails I will be forced off of Evernote for the foreseeable future.

No one wants an application to give any sort of daily notice that cannot be controlled, nor auto-update itself on a daily basis.  Not having user control of this "feature" is a lose-lose proposition for Evernote, and for the Users.

Thanks for listening!

• Like 2

I got a reply to my support ticket (my italics and bold)

As of now, we don't have an update on how to turn off the pop up notification. We really apologize for this matter. I suggest always check the forum thread that you provide, for resolution on this.

For the meantime, I suggest using the legacy version.

Sweet.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Yeah, seriously, WTH is this good for?!? Informing me an update is available, I appreciate that and usually install it immediately. Informing me that there is no update, that is just plain stupid. Who at Evernote thought this was a good idea?!? C'mon, give us an option to turn off this annoyance!

Evernote support needs to STOP this daily pop up. Seriously, do you think anyone wants to be notified more than once? Stop it now, please. If you read the multiple community threads about this you will see many of us Premium members are ready to quit Evernote rather than have this damn pop up appear on our screens. I've been relying on Evernote since the second year of its existence but I'm going to leave if this damn thing keeps appearing.

TERRIBLE "new feature" for this supposedly improved version of Evernote. 😫

I've taken to just closing Evernote completely when I'm not using it ... and favoring other tools I have when Evernote is not the obvious best choice.

This approach makes the tool less useful, but also far less annoying.

There's a management concept that's been around for decades -- "Management by exception". The idea is that reporting should highlight things out of the ordinary; you do not bother people with information that's by definition non-actionable. (It's why 'error messages' are frequently used, but 'health messages' less so.) Evernote designers appear to be unfamiliar with the concept, or their marketeers have overridden those with better judgement to get 'in our faces' more to promote product mindshare.

It's not a good long-term strategy. The marketeers have forgotten that one pissed-off user can ruin the word-of-mouth from a bunch of happy users -- and they are creating a bunch of pissed-off users here. It's self-defeating.

• Thanks 1
51 minutes ago, Shane D. said:

Hi all,

Wanted to clarify, you're seeing this issue in the Evernote App for your Windows/Mac? Or, on your Android?

For me, EN for Mac, so I think this is posted in the wrong forum. Kind of a minor annoyance, really. Many far more important bugs to fix IMHO.

Since we're in the Android forum, @matej1990helpfully linked to a number of open and irritating Android bugs in this comment:

• Thanks 1

@ShaneD

1)  This topic has been "solved by Shane D 2 hours ago"  - well, that's a lie

2) You changed the topic to "Continuous Release Note Pop-Up" - presumably to make it really difficult for anyone to find, by searching for the ACTUAL MESSAGE ie "you're up to date! notification".  Is this deliberate?  Why would you do that?  What people search for is THE MESSAGE ITSELF - not your regurgitated semi-digested version of the problem.

OMG how can an organisation not know how to solve this problem after rewriting the entire codebase from scratch?  [okay that may be a lie also but your CEO said it]

https://terrycrowley.medium.com/yikes-they-rewrote-evernote-3c0ddae9a688

Just incredible. 

Killed Netscape. 
https://www.joelonsoftware.com/2000/04/06/things-you-should-never-do-part-i/

RIP Evernote

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

Just wanted to let you know that we are aware of this issue, are able to reproduce it, and are working to fix it as quickly as we can.

I'll follow-up here once I have an update on the fix.

You have offered no solution.  You said you'd update us when you get one.  This problem is not "solved" as you have indicated.

It has been the same for several years now.  Your company can't seem to solve bugs--that has been my experience.

Why has this topic been marked as "Solved" when there is no solution proposed? 

This popup is extremely annoying and whoever though this was a "good product idea" must be "a bit thick" (to put it politely!)

Pls make sure this gets fixed in the next update, otherwise I'll be trialing OneNote as a free alternative to my Premium account.  

• Like 1

My Evernote just updated to version 10.5.7.  I use a Scan Snap iX1500 to load documents into Evernote.  Most of the documents I scan, I need to email to someone.  Before the upgrade, I was able to create a PDF file, save it, and email it.  After the upgrade, when I save the scan as an Evernote Document, it is not creating a PDF file as it did before.

Is there a fix for this?

Maybe this is a bug, maybe this is functioning as intended. Either way, it does not speak well of Evernote's developers, quality assurance, or management. 

I've been using Evernote for 10+ years, and it has been exceptional in terms of design (big fan of dark mode and ability to customize UI in other ways), functionality, and reliability that entire time, at least in my experience. And it's been one of the very best cloud products (along with Dropbox and Google Play Music). Not a fan of requiring automatic updates, these update popups, the fact it takes someone with the company a week to respond to a bug like this, or tech support that marks things as fixed when they are in no way fixed. 

• Like 1

Having the same pop up issue too. Also, this latest version  is creating duplicate notes which I suppose are conflicts but don't show as conflicts and, I believe they've done away with some great keyboard shortcuts. First time I've not been happy with an update.

17 hours ago, ballyhoo said:

@ShaneD

1)  This topic has been "solved by Shane D 2 hours ago"  - well, that's a lie

2) You changed the topic to "Continuous Release Note Pop-Up" - presumably to make it really difficult for anyone to find, by searching for the ACTUAL MESSAGE ie "you're up to date! notification".  Is this deliberate?  Why would you do that?  What people search for is THE MESSAGE ITSELF - not your regurgitated semi-digested version of the problem.

OMG how can an organisation not know how to solve this problem after rewriting the entire codebase from scratch?  [okay that may be a lie also but your CEO said it]

https://terrycrowley.medium.com/yikes-they-rewrote-evernote-3c0ddae9a688

Just incredible. 

Killed Netscape. 
https://www.joelonsoftware.com/2000/04/06/things-you-should-never-do-part-i/

RIP Evernote

Totally agree

Evernote seems to do everything to annoy users and this style of communication somehow fits the pattern. It's sad.

On 12/30/2020 at 12:38 AM, teast said:

Your UX designer and product manager need a serious come to Jesus talk

+1  — indeed.

Went from 1 click to 3 clicks to open a pdf.

No manual sync, so now have to close the app and reopen to sync..

No customization of the left bar.

To add checkboxes, now a pull down menu — 2 clicks instead of 1 click.

Not to mention the pesky YOU ARE UP TO DATE! message that pops up at the most inopportune moments.

In business, flow efficiency matters.  Please reconsider simplifying the number of clicks to get to things that matter..

• Like 2

Why does Evernote think we want a daily update saying there are no updates????

Please stop popping up on my screen with useless information.  There is NO situation where this is helpful.  I have enough to deal with every day that is important without useless reading and clicking. 

PLEASE REMOVE/DISCONTINUE YOUR DAILY "You're up to date!" NONSENSE.

• Like 2

I quit paying for this product when the devs' disrespect showed up in the profound design change with no option to use the classic mode which worked for me. Having to deal with these pop-ups PLUS the blank note issue is tipping me into looking for another database.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
6 hours ago, CosmicVoyager said:

Everyday, a window opens saying Evernote is up to date. Please make it stop.

I merged your post with an ongoing discussion   
This is a known issue and Evernote is working on a fix

16 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I merged your post with an ongoing discussion   
This is a known issue and Evernote is working on a fix

For how long now has Evernote been working on a fix?  On a scale from 0 to 10, this really ought to be at the low end.  Actually, at zero.

• Like 1

I am disgusted by this continuous popup (SPAM). ..disgusted enough to consider dropping Evernote permanently.  As a paying customer, I shouldn't have to see these constant nag messages again and again, day in and day out.  Preparing to uninstall Evernote and cancel my subscription.  Evernote, you're shooting yourself in the foot!

• Like 1

This is incredibly annoying, sometimes I get this pop up twice a day. Together with the fact that the android version keeps crashing and jumping around within the note while I'm typing is seriously making me consider moving on from Evernote after many years... sad, because it used to be a great platform.

Let me be among the first to ask about this in 2021.

Every time I log in to my computer I get this annoying popup. I don't want to see it anymore. It has popped up as well during VERY inconvenient moments - like during video conferences. There are too many bugs to list in the "new and improved" release of Evernote. This one happens to be at the top of my list. Appreciate instructions (not guesses) as to how to turn it off. Thanks and Happy New Year!

image.thumb.png.6ffbf866c8390598a527b4d0b4e7b772.png

hello,

subj.

I can understand why you show "coming soon" dialog but why you do it every day? announcing THE SAME coming version... this is a bit annoying... is there any way to show it only once per version OR disable at all?

v 10.5.7 build 2171 public
Editor: v114.1.14753
Service: v1.25.2
© 2019 - 2021 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

On 12/27/2020 at 9:12 PM, Aaron Pina said:

I'm also getting this. I don't want to have to click the window away every day. Where is the option to not show this?

Where are ANY options?  Evernote on OS X does not have a Preferences pane!  What kind of application gives users zero choice about their environment?  

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gallde said:

It looks like they fixed the "you're up to date" popup issue, anyone still getting it?

Now if they'd only fix the tray icon click (or double-click) not directly opening the main program...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My response:

• I have open 'you're up to date!' notification saying my version (10.5.7) is 'up to date!'
  • If I go into Evernote (windows) I confirm this: 'You're up to date! Evernote 10.5.7 is currently the newest version available'
  • From this I conclude that it is not fixed - unless they have fixed it without incrementing the version and releasing it, and not informed this community as promised by Shane D:
On 12/30/2020 at 6:05 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

Just wanted to let you know that we are aware of this issue, are able to reproduce it, and are working to fix it as quickly as we can.

I'll follow-up here once I have an update on the fix.

They are taking their own sweet time and really do not care one little bit how much they piss off their loyal customers.

Ballyhoo, not clear what you are saying: The problem was that the "up-to-date" window was popping up on its own on every launch. If that's no longer happening, then they fixed it. I'm guessing it happened at the head-end, not through an actual app update, since it's normal for the app to check for updates regularly by sending a request to the Evernote server. The problem was that it was incorrectly popping up a window that would otherwise say you needed to update. So they fixed it at the server.

The problem (for me) was that the window would pop up randomly (possibly every 24 hours) - not on launch. 

@gallde You can test your problem and declare it solved.  I cannot test my problem - however I gave my logic, and can await a random pop-up.  My client program says I am up to date - it must surely check the server to conclude this.  The staff member has not posted a resolution - they just lied and said it was fixed a while back, when it was not fixed at all by their own admission.

Furthermore it does not help that the staff changed the title of this thread to 'continuous release note pop-up' which is grammatically incorrect, since a continuous process never ceases for a moment.  The mean continually.  But even that is imprecise.

8 hours ago, gallde said:

It looks like they fixed the "you're up to date" popup issue, anyone still getting it?

Now if they'd only fix the tray icon click (or double-click) not directly opening the main program...

I just got the pop up.

The popup appeared for me as well. Ever since the update. Funny thing is though: it only happens on one of my laptops. Both installed with Win20H2 - same build.
On my Toshiba it comes to annoy me everyday, whereas on my Dell it does not appear at all - at least not up to now.
It does not happen on the Mac, or Android.