Audio recording turns off

Go to solution Solved by Alxa,

I am a newspaper reporter and I use Evernote for taking notes and recording audio during interviews. Worked fine with the old app. Works ok with the new one, if I take written notes continuously. If I stop taking written notes, the screen turns black after a while (stayed on with the old app). That in itself is not a problem. But it turns out that no sound is recorded when the screen is black. So now I have two unique interviews with large audio files that are completely empty, except for the first few minutes.

After experimenting a bit i find that the audio keeps recording even when the screen is black, but just for a little while. After a couple of minutes, only silence is recorded.

This is no good at all. Is there a setting somewhere I can change, or do I need to quit Evernote altogether?

Phone: Samsung Note 10 Lite.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

This issue could result from power saving settings for the app in the android settings. Some androids cut off power consumption of apps when screen goes dark after a while as a standard mode. If you disable power optimization for Evernote app may be the microphone stays on while screen going dark.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Support confirmed to me it is a bug they will hopefully address. Until then you have to do a workaround- leave screen awake while recording. There are numerous apps which help with toggeling screen on time to last longer or forever.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

hello - i'm using Evernote for personal journal -

i face same issue with the recording going silent right after screen goes black however i do not wish to use 3rd party apps to keep screen on -

therefore the solution i think i will try is to adjust with the "smart lock" options on my android phone - that is to enable it to not lock the screen if phone is in hand motion plus to enable face recognition for quick unlock of screen - it's not perfect but i think i can manage with it for my needs

• 4 weeks later...
  • Solution

Hi there, by chance I noticed, that this bug has been solved for my devices (10.9). Now Evernote uses a sytem notification during recording to keep the mic alive when screen times out. Just recorded some journals of about 15 minutes with screen off that were recorded correctly.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

I bought Evernote exactly for audio recordings so I could record audio and still be working on other apps or have the phone lock and it continue to record. As of today, the app suddenly stopped recording audio as soon as I click out of the app. Can someone please advise if this is part of a new upgrade or if it’s a bug? And if it’s a bug, when will it be fixed? I have no other need for Evernote other than this…

Hi, I just tried to reproduce @Cat23's  scenario on EN 10.11 with a Samsung A50. Started recording in Evernote switched to several apps did some work, went back to EN 10.11 and the recording was still ongoing. Could stop the recording and in the AAC-file there was everything recorded. So everything worked well, could not reproduce the issue. I would suggest raising a ticket, maybe this is device dependent.

• Thanks 1